Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default MARQUARDT CUT FROM UFC

Damn, I dunno what happened, but whatever got him pulled from this card was enough for DW to post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0gRF...layer_embedded

Unbelievable. I can't imagine what could have spawned this. Steroids springs to mind, but that can't be it, because the athletic commission handles that.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Allons-y

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
In a shocking twist to an already surprising day, UFC president Dana White has released longtime veteran Nate Marquardt after the fighter was ruled out of Sunday's UFC on Versus main event.

The company president made the announcement through social media on the new video website Tout.com.

"Not only is he out of this fight and out of the main event on Versus, he will no longer be with the UFC," White said.

"I was looking forward to my welterweight debut. I'm sorry I let everyone down," Marquardt said in a short statement released to MMA Fighting.

Marquardt was to make his welterweight debut after 14 fights in the promotion as a middleweight. He arrived to the weigh-in venue on Saturday intent on making the 170-pound limit, but Pennsylvania athletic commission officials refused to grant him clearance to fight.

Representatives from the commission were not immediately available to explain the decision.

A source in Marquardt's camp said the fighter believed he could make weight before commission members ruled him out.

Charlie Brenneman replaced Marquardt and will face Rick Story on the card.

If it is the end, it's an unceremonious ending to the UFC career of a fighter who was largely considered a consummate professional. Marquardt was 10-4 in the promotion since signing in the fall of 2005. In July 2007, he became the No. 1 middleweight contender and faced Anderson Silva for the championship, but SIlva defeated him via first-round TKO.

Though he continued on in the division and was considered a contender thereafter, he decided to try a drop to welterweight after his last fight, a unanimous decision win over Dan Miller at UFC 128. Unless White changes his mind, it will be the last time Marquardt fights in the octagon.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:01 PM
rearnakedchoke

he must have done something real bad to piss dana off ... and i guess getting busted for peds once before didn't help ... at least he can say he went out of the ufc on a winning streak ..
Old 06-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Allons-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
he must have done something real bad to piss dana off ... and i guess getting busted for peds once before didn't help ... at least he can say he went out of the ufc on a winning streak ..
That may have helped Dana's decision along, he's got multi-offenders on payroll still. It's gotta be something else, but I can't for the life of me figure out what kind of medical issue could get him booted so quick.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Allons-y

From MMATorch.com:

Quote:
Nate Marquardt is not only out of his UFC on Versus 4 fight with Rick Story after failing his pre-fight physical, but he's out of a job as well.

UFC President Dana White posted a video via his official Twitter account confirming Marquardt's removal from the card and issuing a blunt statement on his status in the organization.

"I'm sure you heard that Nate Marquardt is out," White said. "It's true. He failed his medicals. Not only is he out of this fight, out of the main event on Versus, he will no longer be with the UFC."

No other information has been given at the time of this post as to the reason for Marquardt's medical clearance being denied at the last minute, and no information has been given on the part of the UFC to clarify the reason behind this firing. Regardless, Marquardt has been released and this weekend has taken an interesting turn.

Penick's Analysis: Without any other information it's hard to make sense of this. There has been a lot of speculation without any facts, but one entirely plausible possibility stated is that Marquardt was well above weight and that's where the doctors halted him. If he was at 181-182 lbs. on the same day he needed to get to 170, the doctors could have stopped him from cutting more weight, and if he was that high it would be grounds for the cut. But with no other information we just don't know what led to this, and it's a bad situation all around right now.

UPDATE: Videographer EKC was with Marquardt throughout the cut and says on Twitter that had nothing to do with Marquardt failing his medicals. Per his Twitter:

"Weigh cut went absurdly easy and stress free actually. Video will be released later of the cut."

"The cut was fine. It's something else... I was with him all morning cutting weight. I leave for 10 minutes and he gets released."

So we're back to square one with no information on why he was released.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Old 06-25-2011, 10:43 PM
hughesfan4life

wow!!!!,i read this earlier but just thought it was a stupid rumour!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:51 PM

What the HELL Happened!!!!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Allons-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
What the HELL Happened!!!!
That's the million dollar question. I've been scouring the internet for more info, but it's not out there as far as I can see. Dana hasn't even posted anything in the last hour & a half, which is very unlike him, especially the night before a fight.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:42 AM
kevint13

I think Nate is a big 185'er....so I really think he was not even close to making weight or he was using something illegal to finish the cut.

I just hope it is not a serious health issue.