Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 06-24-2011, 09:39 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Ken Shamrock vs. James Toney coming this fall

I wish this were a joke. From Sherdog.com:

Quote:
Multiple-time boxing champion James Toney may return to the world of mixed martial arts, as a bout between the reigning IBA heavyweight king and UFC hall of famer Ken Shamrock is reportedly being put together for this fall.

BJPenn.com first reported the matchup, stating the fight would take place Sept. 23 in El Paso, Texas. Details on the venue and promoter are currently unknown.

A decorated pugilist, Toney (Pictured; file photo), 42, was once considered among the best pound-for-pound boxers in the world. Twice named Ring Magazine’s “Fighter of the Year,” Toney tried his hand at MMA in August, falling easily to another UFC hall of famer in Randy Couture. “The Natural” hit an ankle pick and grounded Toney soon after the opening horn sounded, planting the boxer on his back and easily passing his guard. Couture then transitioned to an arm-triangle choke and forced “Lights Out” to submit just 3:19 into their heavyweight affair.

Like Couture, Shamrock is widely regarded as one of the sport’s most important pioneers. A dangerous submission artist in the cage, Shamrock introduced himself to American audiences at UFC 1 in 1993 after beginning his career in Japanese promotion Pancrase. Once among the world’s top mixed martial artists, the 47-year-old has fallen on hard times in recent years. Shamrock has lost seven of his last nine fights dating back to 2005. Most recently, he was knocked out by journeyman Mike Bourke at a King of the Cage event in November.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Country Breakfast

Toney will flatten Shamrock. I wish Ken would retire.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:06 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I hope Ken is smart and takes it to the ground and uses one of his leg locks! Then hopefully he will retire from fighting and work on training other fighters!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Ken's knees and ankles are trash. I don't think he'll be able to make this a ground fight. This fight will serve as nothing more than proof that Ken should retire.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:53 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
While I was making a•spinach feta and tomato omelet this morning I took sometime to reflect on rubbery spatulas and their kitchen importance.•They are probably the most underappreciated kitchen utensil ever. Everyone knows what damage a knife can inflict, and whisks always deliver beatings--but the spatula is so much more well rounded.•That's sort of how I feel about MMA. It's just so much more than boxing.

Spatulas don't•just flip, scrape and stir but they are also good for times when•making pancakes•leads to some smack it up, flip it and rub it down. In those cases•you need•to•spice things up with the right kitchen utensil for the job.•Spoons are too reminiscient of a pap smear appointment and forks are just not a good idea. Rubbery siliconey spatulas are the answer. They not only scrape, flip and stir but they deliver a stellar spanking or the Aunt Jemima Treatment.

Spatulas are to kitchen utensils•what MMA is to combat sports. Lots of different skills rolled into one nice package. I'd like to encourage people to use the striking capacity of a spatula more often just like Ken Shamrock says he would like to see more striking back in MMA. Ken hopes that his upcoming fight with James Toney will not be like the Toney and Couture fight and promises to 'beat up' James Toney in this recent interview with MMAWeekly.com. Check it out:
http://middleeasy.com/index.php?opti...:organizations
Old 06-30-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

It got heated at the press conference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1ArDuOY0m8
Old 06-30-2011, 07:13 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
It got heated at the press conference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1ArDuOY0m8
Yeah, supposedly that was staged? Can't remember where I read it, but the idea was that no one would care about this fight unless they could generate some heat behind it.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:28 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Oh, goodie! I can't wait!

Old 07-01-2011, 03:34 AM
kevint13

I read somewhere that it is not entirely under normal MMA rules. If someone is taken down, they will be stood up after 30 seconds, no matter what.

Ken is out of his mind to agree to this.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Yeah, supposedly that was staged? Can't remember where I read it, but the idea was that no one would care about this fight unless they could generate some heat behind it.
That was barely a spark. I'm still not interested. If I'm in front of the TV when it's on, the I'll watch it, but I'm not going to make it a part of my schedule.