Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-14-2009, 03:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
I'm going to give it to Mother. She has a room at the top of the house free from the cat...its where she kept Lauzon when I traveled to London for UFC85

I love him.

I'm so glad Binky. Pets are so much fun. I don't have any pets right now. At all.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 03-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
I'm so glad Binky. Pets are so much fun. I don't have any pets right now. At all.

~Amy
Your a bit early for Saint Patricks day Amy...Its not til the 16-17thish

This morning at 6am when it got light, Jens began to sing, must have only been for about 15mins. I woke up hearing my budgie singing it was fantastic, but I didnt want to go out into the room because I thought he'd get self con and stop. So I pretended I couldnt hear.

He also sings if he hears a bird outside. I got that on film, but havent uploaded it yet

He's learned to use my finger as a pearch with both feet which is the first sign he trusts me not to drop him or hurt him. When he starts to come to me when I first put my fingers in the cage...or hop onto my finger rather then gingerly and kinda unwittingly moving slowly..I will be able to let him out of the cage. That apparently is the first sign of trust...the first time the bird has been conditioned and of its own free will helps with the handling process...can take a while though. He's still looking outside more then looking at me, he hasnt finished getting used to the cage. He is slightly more relaxed, he's started to prune and stretch properly...rather then sort of be frightened to move...it just takes time

I post the first two videos of him (they are both about 30seconds long)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqxm4GffKbE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIDc98xDEo0
Old 03-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Oh Binky, he is so cute!! It'll be fun to see a video of him talking when you get him to that point.

I like St Patrick's Day, I look forward to March holidays all year. They are silly but fun. There's the Ides of March, the 15th for those who don't know, St Patrick's Day, this year I got a Friday the 13th, and then my birthday is March 25th. So it's chock full of things for me to celebrate. So let me have my fun. I will be wearing green on the 17th with a green bead necklace and a green shamrock pin to work.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 03-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
Oh Binky, he is so cute!! It'll be fun to see a video of him talking when you get him to that point.

I like St Patrick's Day, I look forward to March holidays all year. They are silly but fun. There's the Ides of March, the 15th for those who don't know, St Patrick's Day, this year I got a Friday the 13th, and then my birthday is March 25th. So it's chock full of things for me to celebrate. So let me have my fun. I will be wearing green on the 17th with a green bead necklace and a green shamrock pin to work.

~Amy
We'll I'll let you see the video of him singing...it was right funny because as I downloaded it I accidently pressed play on the video...Jens responded to his own singing on the video by...singing in response

It got his attention and he started jumping up and down and flapping his wings and singing...THATS the level of communication I need to have with him in order that he respond to me, as he would on hearing another bird

we're a LONG way off that. This will take weeks and months of repetition. I have found that by drawing the curtain I can stop him looking out of the window and finding other birds by sight...so now he's looking at me coz he got nowt else to interest him.

Thats quite the idea. Its a learning curve for me aswell...i've never taught another living thing how to speak. I just keep two things going. background noise (talking from myself, and from TV, and music...this will get him used to human sounds generically...Humans sound different from birds, he's very tuned into hearing for Birds...I have to tune him into listening to human sounds)

The other thing is practising handling him. I slip my hand in the cage and put my finger out against the perch, then I raise my fingers under the claws that he is gripping the pearch, so I can get my finger between perch and claw, he should move from one to the other, sometimes he tries to go sideways, if I move to fast...sometimes he wont release his full grip on the pearch, there are two claws at the front, one at the back...he likes to at present keep that back claw around the base of the pearch rather then my finger..it enables him to step back if he feels I'm moving to fast. Once he's on my finger I move him about in the cage slowly, then I deposit him back onto the pearch in the reverse...so his back claw comes into contact with the pearch and latches on, then as I drop my finger he steps back onto it.

He's getting the idea
Old 03-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRe6JO65oXc

I CANT play this video it gets him hysterical
Old 03-16-2009, 02:57 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Jens is getting to feel safe in my company. The poor little budgie wasnt trying to mimick me when it was moving its beak like I said in the video

Jens was yawning because he was tiered...but he wouldnt go to sleep whilst I was in the room. He'd wobble on his pearch his eyes closing for longer and longer, and then bam...he'd flash them open.

Well tonight he's gone to sleep three times. I think its light sleep because if I start moving or talking he wakes to quick...but he's trying to sleep...I know this because he's folded his head back ...almost 180 degrees and is lying it on top of his back wings. His head is burried in his body.

to do that means that he's finally started to relax, and thinks its alright to sleep with my typing away at the keyboard. Its a sign of his growing confidence that I am safe...that he trusts me not to hurt him whilst he's asleep...he's absolutely, utterly adorable when he's asleep...he wobbles and moves a whole lot more coz his centre of gravity has shifted backwards

...I saw him fall off his pearch this morning... he was creeping along it and when he got to the end he kept creeping and with a sudden squark realized there was no more pearch
Old 03-16-2009, 05:03 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

You still got your rats?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:33 AM
Stump Rules!

Oh no I forgot about the rats.Dave don't rats eat birds?

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 03-16-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRe6JO65oXc

I CANT play this video it gets him hysterical
He's pretty! I like his dress blues!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
You still got your rats?