Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-13-2009, 06:30 PM
County Mike

I used to have an African Grey Parrot. Pretty cool, but not the greatest of pets. I mean, it was cool that he could talk, sing, whistle, etc. However, very noisy and very messy. He literally flung his food across the room and had the ability to shoot his poo several feet. He also would make loud squawking at inappropriate times (early morning, while I'm on the phone, etc.). I eventually gave him away (paid $900 for him plus a few hundred more for the cage, etc.) to someone who I thought would be a better owner.

His name was Pierre.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I love my Budgie.

When I got him into the cage he flapped hysterically and then he sat on the floor and wouldnt move or anything for about an hour.

I talked to him incessantly....and slowly he got used to it and started to explore the cage. Thats when he started responding to me. If I said something he would snap his beak, as if he were speaking aswell. He's evidently trying to speak, I think just repeat what he's heard but he's never done it before, so he hasnt spoken yet but his gesticulations are increasing.

first he just twitched his beak...now he's opening it right big so you can see the chasm of his full mouth and throat behind. When he learns to push air out rather then suck in, hell make a noise.

But he's also absolutely knackered...Jens is actually asleep at the moment, his eyes are closed and he wobbles every so often on the pearch, its funny you see his tail acting as a counterballence when he loses Con. He also likes to fluff himself up

he's quite thing and lean but when he's awake he constantly bellows his lungs outward and he goes from slender to positively spherical in shape

he has started to cherp a little. but not yet to talk.

I cant wait till he speaks!!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn

he has started to cherp a little. but not yet to talk.

I cant wait till he speaks!!
Split his tongue, it works for crows.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
Split his tongue, it works for crows.

I wouldnt dream of it!!!

A few moments ago he let me touch him for the first time...I mean his plumage. I gave him a little stroke and he didnt flap.

He's also stopped shuffling along the perch to get away from me when I put my hands on the side of the cage.

you just got to go verrrrrrra slow. Its in a new environment, its tierd and its probably a little bit frightened aswell

I got him only five hours ago
Old 03-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Moose

Quote:

I wouldnt dream of it!!!

A few moments ago he let me touch him for the first time...I mean his plumage. I gave him a little stroke and he didnt flap.

He's also stopped shuffling along the perch to get away from me when I put my hands on the side of the cage.

you just got to go verrrrrrra slow. Its in a new environment, its tierd and its probably a little bit frightened aswell

I got him only five hours ago
Are we talking about a bird or a 14 year old Vietnamese kid?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
Are we talking about a bird or a 14 year old Vietnamese kid?
we're talking about a Bird...and yes, its begining to show already a personality distinctly reserved for higher orders of domesticated animals.

Tame Animals seem to take on Human personalities almost. You see it in cats all the time.

I didnt realize but with proper training, you can teach a budgie to not only speak short sentances and rhym, but you can teach it a vocab of words around a hundred, and they can also be taught context.

Jens will learn that when I tell him he is beautiful.. I DONT want him to repeat back to me that I am beautiful. But to understand that what I am saying relates TO Him. That comes much later though...I've only had him about 8 hours

To begin with he will only imitate what he hears, and it maybe a while before he speaks....its a slow process...its like teaching a child to read and write...it doesnt happen overnight...first they just stare at you and try and eat the pencil.

Later they learn to use the pencil to write, and when they look at you its for validation. To tell them they are good or they got it wrong.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
we're talking about a Bird...and yes, its begining to show already a personality distinctly reserved for higher orders of domesticated animals.

Tame Animals seem to take on Human personalities almost. You see it in cats all the time.

I didnt realize but with proper training, you can teach a budgie to not only speak short sentances and rhym, but you can teach it a vocab of words around a hundred, and they can also be taught context.

Jens will learn that when I tell him he is beautiful.. I DONT want him to repeat back to me that I am beautiful. But to understand that what I am saying relates TO Him. That comes much later though...I've only had him about 8 hours

To begin with he will only imitate what he hears, and it maybe a while before he speaks....its a slow process...its like teaching a child to read and write...it doesnt happen overnight...first they just stare at you and try and eat the pencil.

Later they learn to use the pencil to write, and when they look at you its for validation. To tell them they are good or they got it wrong.

Um Dave, you are going to give your budgie bird anxiety issues. It's like those rich American moms who think Little Johnnie is soooo gifted and sticks him in all the lessons that fill up his day and then he rebels hugely as a teen. Dave, don't make your bird wanna do drugs and have wild sex parties.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 03-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
Um Dave, you are going to give your budgie bird anxiety issues. It's like those rich American moms who think Little Johnnie is soooo gifted and sticks him in all the lessons that fill up his day and then he rebels hugely as a teen. Dave, don't make your bird wanna do drugs and have wild sex parties.

~Amy

I'm gonna go slowly. I promise.

I havent even stroked his head yet. Budgie experts say that it stimulates the birds to learn and listen. Once they get used to it they like it...but to begin with they wont wanna be touched on the head.

I havent even tried. Neither have I tried to pick him up or get him to perch on my hand in the cage yet.

I've really only chatted to him, and got him used to my hands inside the cage and he will let me stroke his plumage chest and back...but he's not convinced yet, not allowing himself to be responsive or enjoy it there...he's just tollerating me touching him...which is a start...because before he'd flutter...or nip...or try and run away.

The first time he shuffled along the perch when he came to the end he nearly fell off...I laughed...GOD forgive me...I laughed
Old 03-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I'm gonna go slowly. I promise.

I havent even stroked his head yet. Budgie experts say that it stimulates the birds to learn and listen. Once they get used to it they like it...but to begin with they wont wanna be touched on the head.

I havent even tried. Neither have I tried to pick him up or get him to perch on my hand in the cage yet.

I've really only chatted to him, and got him used to my hands inside the cage and he will let me stroke his plumage chest and back...but he's not convinced yet, not allowing himself to be responsive or enjoy it there...he's just tollerating me touching him...which is a start...because before he'd flutter...or nip...or try and run away.

The first time he shuffled along the perch when he came to the end he nearly fell off...I laughed...GOD forgive me...I laughed
I'm teasing you Dave. I am glad you have that little bird to be company for you in your life. What are you going to do with it when you come to the States?

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 03-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
I'm teasing you Dave. I am glad you have that little bird to be company for you in your life. What are you going to do with it when you come to the States?

~Amy
I'm going to give it to Mother. She has a room at the top of the house free from the cat...its where she kept Lauzon when I traveled to London for UFC85

I love him.