Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default UFC on Versus 4 ratings worse than Spike TV broadcast of 'Marquardt vs Palhares'

Quote:
In the war to settle no score, the winner is ... Spike TV -- barely.

Currently embroiled in negotiations with UFC and at times acting as though the relationship is over, Spike TV counter programmed the UFC on Versus 4 event that aired this past Sunday night (June 26) at 9 p.m. ET.

A rebroadcast of UFC Fight Night 22 drew an average audience of 793,000 viewers while the "Kongo vs. Barry" event garnered 744,000 views for its live broadcast on the Versus channel, according to Sherdog.

Of course, UFC on Versus 4 was one of the most ravaged fight cards in recent memory, with injuries and various other circumstances clouding the show.

The most notable of which being Nate Marquardt and his testosterone replacement therapy preventing him from competing, the announcement of which came just one day before the event was set to air.

Nonetheless, Spike TV wins the battle with a broadcast that showcased "The Great's" victory over Rousimar Palhares back in Sept. 2010.

UFC on Versus 4 featured a re-worked main event pitting Cheick Kongo against Pat Barry in a heavyweight attraction.

And for all the viewers that watched a replay of "Marquardt vs. Palhares," you missed out.

That's because Kongo delivered one of the greatest comeback knockout victories in UFC history, as he survived an early thrashing to put Barry to sleep with one smooth uppercut.

Sweet.

The event, which improved its viewership from 681,000 the last time it was on the Versus channel for the "Kampmann vs. Sanchez" event, also showcased Charlie Brenneman's impressive upset of Rick Story on just one day's notice.

Matt Mitirone and Matt Brown also took care of business by defeating Christian Morecraft and John Howard respectively.

For complete UFC on Versus 4 results and blow-by-blow coverage of all the night's action click here and here.
I wonder how many people thought they were actually watching the live card?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:55 PM
matthughesfan21

More homes get Spike than Versus also, so that could have some effect
Old 06-28-2011, 09:08 PM
kevint13

Some may have watched the replay of the VS card...it was on after the post-fight show.

But I agree that this is likely due to the fact that Spike is pretty much included in any cable/satellite package where VS is not.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:49 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
More homes get Spike than Versus also, so that could have some effect
That's exactly what I was thinking. I had to view my DirecTV channel lineup just to see if I had Versus.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:02 AM
County Mike

Spike is also better known for broadcasting UFC events. People who like the UFC are more likely to check Spike for upcoming fights than VS.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:24 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Spike is also better known for broadcasting UFC events. People who like the UFC are more likely to check Spike for upcoming fights than VS.
Exactly. That's what made me think that people said "O, there's a UFC on, lemme check Spike. Yup here it is & they're talking about Nate in the headliner. Must have found the right place."
Old 06-29-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Exactly. That's what made me think that people said "O, there's a UFC on, lemme check Spike. Yup here it is & they're talking about Nate in the headliner. Must have found the right place."
That's true I hadn't thought abut that?
I guess the casual fan saw this event thinking it was Live
Old 06-30-2011, 03:23 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
LOL... That's EXACTLY what I did!!! I asked my wife to put the fights on so she put it on SPIKE. She said "Is it the one with Nate fighting?" and I said "Sorta" and I left it on spike for almost the whole thing. As I watched more and more I started thinking... haven't I seen this already???? That was when I switched in time to watch the LAST FIGHT OF THE NIGHT!!!

Sheesh!