Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Default Vancouver riots and UFC 131 prove violence doesn't always beget violence

Sorry.. I coulnd't find the old thread that talked about Canada (BC?)...wanting the UFC to play for extra cops at the next UFC..

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/6/16/22...beget-violence

Quote:
U mad?

Canadian hockey fans took to the streets last night (June 15, 2011) to vent their frustrations after the Vancouver Canucks were blanked by the Boston Bruins 4-0 in game seven of the NHL Stanley Cup Finals. As with most riots, bottles were thrown, cars were burned and storefront windows were smashed.

Sir Frederick Arthur Stanley, Lord Stanley of Preston and son of the Earl of Derby, was not impressed.

How is this relevant to mixed martial arts? UFC 131: "Dos Santos vs. Carwin" was held (without incident) at Vancouver's Rogers Arena last Saturday night (June 11) right smack in the middle of the NHL Finals.

Consider for a moment, the difficult battle Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) had in securing regulation for MMA in Vancouver. Even when given the green light, women and children were whisked away to the cheese cellar as men boarded up their windows and bolted down their doors.

City officials even demanded an increase in police presence to handle a potential outbreak of violence. But UFC 131 came and went without a single report of post-fight shenanigans.

That's not to suggest that MMA caters to a higher class of sports fan, or that the average fight fan isn't capable of bad behavior, but it does suggest that MMA is a completely different type of sport and one that doesn't promote violence, despite what takes place inside the Octagon.

Jared McKenzie at 8 Count News explains why:

Quote:
For many on-lookers, mixed martial arts looks like a violent sport. Two men trading blows, blood on the mat, an unconscious loser. However, there has never been a riot or violent public outburst following a sanctioned mixed martial arts promotion, any where in the world, ever.

On the other hand, look at hockey, ten men on a sheet of ice - as hard as concrete -, gliding on blades of steel - sharp enough to sever a jugular vein - slamming into each other at high rates of speed and beating each other with sticks. This is no biased view of the sport, I, as a Canadian have been involved in hockey since the age of 5 and have seen enough frightening collisions, bloody fist fights and concussions to last a lifetime. In the team sport they provide a false sense of unity to it`s fans in order to create a customer base. Meanwhile, the UFC promotes fighters as individuals and leaves the fans to choose their favorites.

Because of these horribly brutal fights, collisions and extremely lax, almost non-existent rule book, hockey is a dangerous sport. But, when it comes down to a major title, like the Stanley Cup, the sense of unity held by fans is enough to tear a city to threads. Meanwhile, in the world of mixed martial arts, fans debate about who might beat who, and nobody wears a `GSP` jersey that`s been a staple of the region for 50 years, nobody burns cop cars because Leonard Garcia got the nod over Nam Phan and nobody riots when there fighter loses.

The respect that the fighter`s hold for themselves and each other is shared by the fans. There is no franchise named Tito Ortiz that brings a new fighter up, calls him Tito Ortiz and allows him to fight under that legendary moniker. No, instead there are a group of individuals highly trained and disciplined, sharing an experience with another athlete while they slug it out for the fans delight.
Anti-MMA crusaders like New York Assemblyman Bob Reilly have long contended that "violence begets violence," and that keeping the UFC out of the "Empire State" will help keep the city safe from testosterone-fueled maniacs looking to kick some ass following a UFC pay-per-view.

I think the incident in Vancouver (and countless other cities both stateside and abroad) has proven him wrong.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:19 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Sorry.. I coulnd't find the old thread that talked about Canada (BC?)...wanting the UFC to play for extra cops at the next UFC..

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/6/16/22...beget-violence
i knew this was going to happen ... wouldn't happen hear in toronto .. we are used to disappointment .. but not only the violent fans, but one guy fractured a vertebrae and other is out with a serious concussion from a hit in this series ... so it ain't like mma is the only violent sport out there ...
Old 06-16-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i knew this was going to happen ... wouldn't happen hear in toronto .. we are used to disappointment .. but not only the violent fans, but one guy fractured a vertebrae and other is out with a serious concussion from a hit in this series ... so it ain't like mma is the only violent sport out there ...
agree.. but I think that the point is that there is much less ancillary violence.. when you compare UFC events to .. say... pennant race games and play offs.. or season ending matches .. historic rivalries.. and the like..
Old 06-16-2011, 05:29 PM

I was amazed by that Riot Over a Hockey game???? are you serious??

The only Hockey I've ever seen is The Mighty Ducks movie and that was over 15 years ago

I'm kind of happy this happened just so the UFC can rub it in their Face!!
They got all pissy cause Kenny and Dana were rooting for the American team

4-0
Old 06-16-2011, 07:10 PM
County Mike

Many years ago when Montreal WON the Stanley Cup, they rioted. I don't think it's a win vs lose type of thing. It's just a huge party atmosphere that grows to the point of mayhem.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:12 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

To me that violence begets violence thing ain't got nothing to do with sports! Even if the sport in question is a combat sport. To me what Violence begets Violence means is don't start trouble. For example if someone punches me I'm probably gonna hit them back and more than once. In others words if you commit an act of violence against me I'm probably gonna respond with violence back at you. The fact that Violence begets violence is a good deterrent to provoking violence in the first place. So as we all probably know sports like MMA do not provoke real violence. At least not street violence!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
To me that violence begets violence thing ain't got nothing to do with sports! Even if the sport in question is a combat sport. To me what Violence begets Violence means is don't start trouble. For example if someone punches me I'm probably gonna hit them back and more than once. In others words if you commit an act of violence against me I'm probably gonna respond with violence back at you. The fact that Violence begets violence is a good deterrent to provoking violence in the first place. So as we all probably know sports like MMA do not provoke real violence. At least not street violence!
I would go so far as to say..... and this is hard to explain

Fights in the cage are violent... but only in so much as they each want to win.. not so much as violent because they don't like each other and they want to hurt each other...

I try to look at it as Violent = a state of being.. Violence = action

If Matt wanted to be violent.. he could have broke Gracie's arm..
But another example of being violent.... would be Matt's shove of Trigg.. (with Trigg earned...)

Look at Penn and Jens... they beat on each other HARD... but they both smiled and "shook hands/hugged" afterwards... the fight was violent.. but there was no real violence involved...

And the reverse is also present.. but no where near as much as people think.. look at Shamrock/Ortiz.. they REALLY don't like each other.. but at the end of the last fight... they didn't "make up".. so much as .. "we sold a lot of tickets"
Old 06-16-2011, 08:49 PM

Great point about the cliche 'violence begetting violence', Spirit.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 06-16-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Many years ago when Montreal WON the Stanley Cup, they rioted. I don't think it's a win vs lose type of thing. It's just a huge party atmosphere that grows to the point of mayhem.
I think you're right, Mike. The atmosphere just degenerates into mob mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post

Look at Penn and Jens... they beat on each other HARD... but they both smiled and "shook hands/hugged" afterwards.
Exactly. That's one of the reasons I love MMA.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 06-17-2011, 01:24 AM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
I was amazed by that Riot Over a Hockey game???? are you serious??

The only Hockey I've ever seen is The Mighty Ducks movie and that was over 15 years ago

I'm kind of happy this happened just so the UFC can rub it in their Face!!
They got all pissy cause Kenny and Dana were rooting for the American team

4-0

actually the riot had nothing what so ever to do with the outcome of the hockey game...it did however have everything to do with a bunch of drunken idiots that have no respect for anyone or anything and who used this night as an excuse to go down town and destroy everything they possibly could...and believe me when i say if Vancouver would have won the game it would have made no difference,they would have still done exactly the same thing,none of these people are hockey fans....they are just criminals.

also to compare game 7 of the Stanley cup finals in Vancouver to a UFC event in Vancouver is like comparing the difference between throwing a bullet and shooting one out of a gun...not even close to the same thing...not sure why any one would ever compare the two.