Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-15-2011, 07:15 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Jon Jones, Rampage Jackson Agree to UFC 135 Title Fight

Should be any day now that Hughes/Sanchez goes official & we can all start buying our tickets!!

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
Jon Jones and Quinton Jackson have verbally agreed to square off at UFC 135 in September with Jones' UFC light-heavyweight championship on the line.

The UFC confirmed that the two stars will meet at the event, which will be held at the Pepsi Center in Denver.

Jones had originally been expected to face Rashad Evans in August until deciding against participation after a flareup of a previously existing hand injury. Evans decided not to wait for Jones, instead opting for a fight with Phil Davis at UFC 133.

Later, doctors told Jones that he would not need surgery for the injury, but would need some time off, making him eligible to fight at the Denver card on September 24. Jones won the title in March with a third-round TKO of Mauricio "Shogun" Rua.

Jackson, meanwhile, punched his ticket to a title match with a three-round unanimous decision win over Matt Hamill in the main event of UFC 130. With the win, Jackson improved to 32-8. He was a onetime light-heavyweight champ, winning the belt in May 2007 with a knockout of Chuck Liddell. He successfully defended it once before losing in a close decision to Forrest Griffin.

Jones is 13-1 with his only loss coming via a controversial disqualification.

Other bouts that have been verbally agreed to for UFC 135 include Matt Hughes vs. Diego Sanchez, Kid Yamamoto vs. Damacio Page, and Mark Hunt vs. Ben Rothwell.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:52 PM
rearnakedchoke

damn, this is shaping up to be a killer card ... throw maynard/edgar III on it and it would be epic ...
Old 06-15-2011, 09:39 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Here's a few more fights that have been added:

Quote:
Heavyweight knockout artist Travis Browne has an opponent and date for his next fight, two weeks after his KO of the Night-winning performance at UFC 130. Browne has agreed to face former British Cage Rage champion Robert Broughton at UFC 135, according to UFC president Dana White on UFC.com.

Browne-Broughton joins another recently confirmed heavyweight matchup on the card, Ben Rothwell vs. Mark Hunt.

UFC 135 will take place Sept. 24 from the Pepsi Center in Denver with Jon Jones vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson as the likely headliner.

At UFC 130, Browne (11-0-1) immediately gained relevance in the UFC heavyweight division with a Superman Punch finish against Stefan Struve. Entering the fight off a draw against Cheick Kongo, Browne with the win over Struve moved his record in the UFC to 2-0-1.. Broughton (15-5-1) won his UFC debut last October and hasn't competed since.

Rothwell (31-7) fought only once last year, defeating Gilbert Yvel via unanimous decision at UFC 115. After the fight, Rothwell underwent knee surgery and has been sidelined without a fight until recently. Hunt (6-7) fought earlier in February, scoring a KO of the Night at UFC 127 over Chris Tuchscherer. The win ended Hunt's six-fight losing streak that spanned nearly five years.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Here's a few more fights that have been added:
CAN'T WAIT!

[
Old 06-15-2011, 10:53 PM

i think Rampage has a chance here. He won't get completly bullied in the wrestling and although Jones has more Rmapage is willing to step in a bang and he will KO people. Not sure Bones has ever had that.

Would love it if Rampage could knock him out - just to show the young bucks how its done.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:37 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post
i think Rampage has a chance here. He won't get completly bullied in the wrestling and although Jones has more Rmapage is willing to step in a bang and he will KO people. Not sure Bones has ever had that.

Would love it if Rampage could knock him out - just to show the young bucks how its done.
Well, a real problem for Rampage is going to be Jones' length on that jab. It can be a real pain in the @$$ to get stuck out on the end of one of those things every time you try to come in on a lankier opponent.

Or at least, so I've been told by my training partners!
Old 06-15-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Well, a real problem for Rampage is going to be Jones' length on that jab. It can be a real pain in the @$$ to get stuck out on the end of one of those things every time you try to come in on a lankier opponent.

Or at least, so I've been told by my training partners!
Yeah that would be my concern - Jones can follow Forrests Griffin and kick him to pieces at distance and of course that jab.

Will be a good one
Old 06-15-2011, 11:57 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Yeah that would be my concern - Jones can follow Forrests Griffin and kick him to pieces at distance and of course that jab.

Will be a good one
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this card!
Old 06-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:

I am not on the Jones bandwagon.. they guy has a few holes.. he is not perfect.. but 'Page doesn't have much of a chance on this one...

I am betting we see Jones and Machida early '11.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:05 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I think Jones may be quicker and more agile than Rampage! Rampage is big and strong but I ain't sure he's good enough to overcome the advantages I think Jones has.