Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 06-15-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post

Well you got me!

I had a feeling I was being baited...
No, not at all!! You know a lot more about boxing, Arum, et al. I thought his points were pretty interesting but I took it more that he thought boxing would benefit from becoming more "current", more 21st century, so to speak - as in using all social networking available to promote the sport, to make the boxers more accessible to fans, make the cards more exciting, etc.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 06-15-2011, 06:12 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
No, not at all!! You know a lot more about boxing, Arum, et al. I thought his points were pretty interesting but I took it more that he thought boxing would benefit from becoming more "current", more 21st century, so to speak - as in using all social networking available to promote the sport, to make the boxers more accessible to fans, make the cards more exciting, etc.
I think Boxing has evolved into the 21st century exactly how it was supposed to. Boxers use social networking just like MMA fighters/promoters do, most boxers are fairly accessible to fans, and undercards have ups and downs like any UFC or other MMA event. Honestly, it's not boxing that fell off, it's MMA that blew up...(if that makes sense)
Old 06-15-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
I disagree that this mostly lies on "anti-MMA boxing fans". I've been a fan on MMA since the early UFC days in the 90's and I've followed boxing my whole life. There are just as many hardcore MMA fans who trash the sport of boxing on the internet as there are old school boxing fans who don't like MMA. It's a tired old debate, and boxing has continued to thrive and stay relevant all over the world, and it will continue to do so. Don't get me wrong, MMA is awesome, but it's also the new fad in an age where young kids are able to sit at screen and share their opinions with the world 24 hours a day. Boxing has been a popular sport since long before this country had the Pony Express, let alone Facebook.

Boxing has a deep and storied history that cannot be destroyed, no matter how high the popularity of MMA continues to soar. In the end, it's all the same and it's called "prize-fighting". Boxing has set the standard for prize-fighting for hundreds of years and the reason the sport of MMA even has a chance to exist in it's current state is because of it's older brother Boxing. Of course there is always the sister of MMA's current state, and that is "professional wrestling".

It's funny how the article tries to paint boxing guys like Arum and Sugar as being evil anti-MMA tyrants, while suggesting that Dana is a huge boxing supporter. Sure, Dana gives boxing some love from time to time and we all know he is a fan, but why does the writer fail to mention all the crap Dana talks about boxing simply to promote the UFC? Of course, on the other hand, we all know the UFC will gladly use a popular boxer like Mike Tyson (now a HOFer as of last Sunday, big ups to Iron Mike) to help boost ratings on their tired and watered down reality show that even most respectable MMA fans are completely sick of.

These kind of articles and debates are great to dig up every now and then, but they ultimately should end in the same conclusion....It doesn't matter.

People who have the urge inside of them that drives them towards spending their time and money on watching two grown men beat the crap out of each other will do it no matter what the rules or glove size is. It's more on the front lines now that we can all bitch and moan about what we like or don't like with so much exposure to the world, thanks to the internet, but the game is still the same. If they sell it to us, we will buy it. It don't matter if it's Silva/GSP or Mayweather/Pacquiao.
Well spoken, errrr....typed, you should publish this.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:36 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Well spoken, errrr....typed, you should publish this.
Thanks

But with the billions of dollars rolling through this industry, nobody really cares about my two cents.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I think Boxing has evolved into the 21st century exactly how it was supposed to. Boxers use social networking just like MMA fighters/promoters do, most boxers are fairly accessible to fans, and undercards have ups and downs like any UFC or other MMA event. Honestly, it's not boxing that fell off, it's MMA that blew up...(if that makes sense)
I see what you're saying, JB - makes sense. That's why I was hoping you'd give your input.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 06-17-2011, 03:48 PM

Well I wouldn't go as far as saying MMA is becoming more appealing than Boxing. What helps MMA is that they have way more fights and fighters who are high profile that fight each other. Although I have to admit I'm kind of getting MMA'd out having 2 or 3 events a month is getting a little boring.

With that Said I would watch a Mayweather fight over any event.
ex: GSP vs Silva, Silva vs Jones, Fedor vs Brock, Overeem vs Velazquez, Superbowl, B-day Parties, Weddings, Anniversary's, Family Reunions,