Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-14-2011, 08:47 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Dana White ready to get Shaq 'involved' with the UFC

From MMAMania.com:

Quote:

Kazaam!

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White has been acquiring additional talent from the merger of Strikeforce and World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) and has now set his sights on another talent pool for which he can pillage and plunder.

The National Basketball Association (NBA).

And who better to join the ranks of the Zuffa elite than Shaquille O'Neal, the recently-retired center who spent 19 seasons as one of the league's most dominant big men.

While "Diesel" isn't going to be lighting up the cage with his patented "Shaq Fu," the former hoop star is expected to "get involved" with the UFC in some capacity.

White elaborates to ESPN's First Take (via 5th Round):
Quote:
Actually, a week before he retired, Shaq called me and [said] he wants to be involved in the UFC somehow. Hes always been a good friend to us and Im sure youre going to see Shaq around the UFC a lot. He said, Listen, Im gonna have a lot of free time on my hands. I love this sport, I want to get involved. I want to be a part of it. Hes not just coming in [at the last-minute], hes been a part of it for a long time. Shaq helped us launch the first season of The Ultimate Fighter. Hes always supported us and has always been a good friend. So now that he wants to be involved, Im more than happy to get him.
But will UFC fans be happy to have him?

It's hard to imagine any scenario where O'Neal's presence is detrimental to a sport that is still struggling for mainstream acceptance. If anything, having Shaq on the front lines could further the UFC's stranglehold on the coveted male demographics of 18-34 and 18-49.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:28 PM
GnP

Makes perfect sense, let him buy a very very minor share such as 1% then use his brand power to help develop the company to untapped markets. Much as liverpool FC have just done with Lebron James
Old 06-14-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I'm a little skeptical of the crowd he might bring in, but I do know that Shaq is a genuine fan of the sport.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:22 AM

Didn't know he helped launch TUF. I've seen him at a ton of events, but just thought he was as big a fan as me, just more money lol.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:06 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

While he ain't a Professional fighter I did read a few years ago that he was getting some JJ training. If memory served he was going to one of the Gracie school's! Shaq also used to be involved with some type of weight loss or fitness program for kids. If handled right he could be helpful!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:14 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
While he ain't a Professional fighter I did read a few years ago that he was getting some JJ training. If memory served he was going to one of the Gracie school's! Shaq also used to be involved with some type of weight loss or fitness program for kids. If handled right he could be helpful!
I know he's been training MMA for awhile & credits it for what mobility he still has.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:26 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Shaq is awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF4Y1cy_Suw