Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-13-2011, 12:40 AM
Chris F

Default UFC 131 recap

Here is my take on last nights fights on my blog. Thanks all.

http://southronpartisan.blogspot.com...of-fights.html

I must say UFC 131 was probably the best card in a really long time. Even though there was no big draw or Championship fight, that card still did not disappoint. From prelim to main event nearly every fight was worth the watch. The night was filled with some close decisions and some very bad decisions. There was a violent knockout and a crafty Submission. And, what I thought was the fight of the night was a seesaw battle that was a classic MMA chess match.

The prelims saw a hungry Sam Stout send the grizzly veteran Yves Edwards into next week with a beautiful left hook. Stout looked as if he was going to pounce on him and dish out more pain but stopped when he saw Edwards was nighty night. He later joked that Edwards gave him a cookie and was not going to beat on him more because of it. He aso said he had much respect for the longtime MMA veteran.

Also in the prelims the Submission of the night came from Matt Serra’s student Chris Wideman. He locked on a very tight standing guillotine choke. Another submission came from TUF contestant Nick Ring. He slapped on a nice rear naked choke in his bout.

The fight of the night (IMO) was Oklahoma State wrestling stud Mark Munoz vs. BJJ expert Damien Maia. And believe it or not this was a slugfest. Both men came into this fight with much improved stand up. Munoz was rocked early but settled down and beat Maia with smart American wrestling and steady strikes. This was a close decision but I agree with all the judges but the bozo who scored 30-27. Munoz lost the 1st round. It was a great fight full of all aspects of MMA. Very much a chess match and I look forward to seeing both of them fight again.

The main even almost ended before it started. JDS caught Carwin early and pounded the tar out of him. Luckily Carwin has a head made of granite. JDS even looked at Herb Dean like what do I need to do to get the stoppage. Carwin was defending and not only that he fought another 10 minutes very well. It was a great fight but JDS’ jabfest was a bit of a snooze compared to much of the rest of the card.

All in all it was a great night of fighting. The Vancouver crowd was relentless. They really boo’d Ken Flo and the announcer said it was because he showed up un a Bruins hockey jersey. Being a hockey fan I know how serious the people in Canada take their hockey. I think even though JDS kept his #1 contender spot I think he will be demolished by AKA product Cain. Cain is a beast and will not be a slow as Carwin and Roy Nelson. That fight will be one to watch. Well till later, blessings and you and yours.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Here is my take on last nights fights on my blog. Thanks all.

http://southronpartisan.blogspot.com...of-fights.html

I must say UFC 131 was probably the best card in a really long time. Even though there was no big draw or Championship fight, that card still did not disappoint. From prelim to main event nearly every fight was worth the watch. The night was filled with some close decisions and some very bad decisions. There was a violent knockout and a crafty Submission. And, what I thought was the fight of the night was a seesaw battle that was a classic MMA chess match.

The prelims saw a hungry Sam Stout send the grizzly veteran Yves Edwards into next week with a beautiful left hook. Stout looked as if he was going to pounce on him and dish out more pain but stopped when he saw Edwards was nighty night. He later joked that Edwards gave him a cookie and was not going to beat on him more because of it. He aso said he had much respect for the longtime MMA veteran.

Also in the prelims the Submission of the night came from Matt Serra’s student Chris Wideman. He locked on a very tight standing guillotine choke. Another submission came from TUF contestant Nick Ring. He slapped on a nice rear naked choke in his bout.

The fight of the night (IMO) was Oklahoma State wrestling stud Mark Munoz vs. BJJ expert Damien Maia. And believe it or not this was a slugfest. Both men came into this fight with much improved stand up. Munoz was rocked early but settled down and beat Maia with smart American wrestling and steady strikes. This was a close decision but I agree with all the judges but the bozo who scored 30-27. Munoz lost the 1st round. It was a great fight full of all aspects of MMA. Very much a chess match and I look forward to seeing both of them fight again.

The main even almost ended before it started. JDS caught Carwin early and pounded the tar out of him. Luckily Carwin has a head made of granite. JDS even looked at Herb Dean like what do I need to do to get the stoppage. Carwin was defending and not only that he fought another 10 minutes very well. It was a great fight but JDS’ jabfest was a bit of a snooze compared to much of the rest of the card.

All in all it was a great night of fighting. The Vancouver crowd was relentless. They really boo’d Ken Flo and the announcer said it was because he showed up un a Bruins hockey jersey. Being a hockey fan I know how serious the people in Canada take their hockey. I think even though JDS kept his #1 contender spot I think he will be demolished by AKA product Cain. Cain is a beast and will not be a slow as Carwin and Roy Nelson. That fight will be one to watch. Well till later, blessings and you and yours.
The Einemo v Herman fight was the best fight on the card.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:32 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
It was good but being a big boxing fan I like matches that are more technical. The Herman fight was great but seemed more like wild caveman swings and they took turns clubbing each other. I enjoyed it but not as much as the Munoz fight.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Primadawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
+1
Old 06-13-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
It was good but being a big boxing fan I like matches that are more technical. The Herman fight was great but seemed more like wild caveman swings and they took turns clubbing each other. I enjoyed it but not as much as the Munoz fight.
+1
Old 06-13-2011, 03:37 PM

I think the Maia/Munoz fight was the surprise of the night. I really enjoyed it. I hope Demien continues to improve his stand-up and surprises us some more.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
+1
Thanks man. BTW I love your Sig.