Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Default UFC 131 results: Dana White blasts judging at the 'Dos Santos vs Carwin' event

I agree with Dana 100% on this one....

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/6/12/22...rwin#storyjump

Quote:
Dana White is more than just the President of the UFC; he's also more or less the voice of the people.

And the people are pissed.

UFC 131: "Dos Santos vs. Carwin" went down last night (June 11, 2011) from the Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. It was a night of exciting finishes mixed with close decisions.

And any time there are close decisions in MMA, you can bet someone's not happy about the scorecards turned in by the cage side judges.

Or, in this case, everyone.

That's because there were multiple decisions on the card that featured wacky scores, from the 30-27 awarded to Darren Elkins in his fight against Michihiro Omigawa, to the 30-27 awarded to Mark Munoz against Demian Maia.

Even Kenny Florian's featherweight debut, in which he looked strong and steady, was not without shenanigans. He was awarded a 30-27 score despite rather obviously losing the first round to Diego Nunes.

When the night was wrapped up, Dana White put his mouthpiece shoes on and lambasted the judges for their perceived incompetence (via Heavy):

Quote:
"It's very frustrating and it's horrible. It's just getting to the point now where when you see something that's that blatantly wrong... the hard part for me is you're affecting people's lives. It's one thing... listen; my business, you know, people get pissed off... what people are pissed off about is the fighters. How hard these guys train, how hard they work and to have somebody... we even have television monitors in front of these f*cking guys now. You're watching a television monitor and you still come up with a 30-27 in these fights? You should never judge another fight as long as you live. You don't deserve to be in the fight business, you're hurting these f*cking guys that are out training and working hard. It just absolutely drives me nuts."
The cage side monitors, that have since been approved for each event, apparently did very little to improve a problem that has plagued mixed martial arts for as long as it's been a sport.

But is that really a surprise?

Judging is a subjective thing and no two people are going to witness an event exactly the same. Sure, we can expect that the consensus "correct" opinion should be reached in most instances. But that won't always happen.

There's just too much room for error ... and these judges are human.

That's not to make an argument for their scoring last night, which was admittedly off the wall at times. It's just to remind folks that it's not as easy as it looks and the rules are entirely too open to interpretation.

Still, are you upset at the idea that even cage side monitors don't appear to be helping judges make clear decisions on the action inside the cage?

And will judging in MMA ever reach a point of stability that will make the fans happy?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

But then he does this....

Quote:
Michihiro Omigawa will be paid both his show money and win bonus for his performance against Darren Elkins at the UFC 131: "Dos Santos vs. Carwin" event in Vancouver last night (June 11).

Company President Dana White felt the Japanese Judoka was robbed by the cage side judges, who awarded the bout to Elkins by scores of 29-28, 29-28 and 30-27. Do you agree with Dana or the judges?

To undercut the pay purse of the fighter.. that gets the "W".. but giving the other guy the agreed upon win bonus, when there is a check mark in the "L" box... that's just a bit much.. IMO...

Give him a "locker room bonus".. or a few more fights on his contract in the event of a future loss...

But to say.. "Nah dude.. here is your won bonus...".. when they didn't get the win.. (right or wrong)....is toooo much..

Next thing you see will be a "fan text bonus"... just like American Idol or survivor.. or something like that.. while that's not a "bad idea"... just giving someone a win bonus.. but they don't win... nah...
Old 06-12-2011, 10:32 PM

This happens a lot in fights where in the end the judges usually pick the right winner but one of them picked it 30-27?????????

Florian and Maia were perfect examples of this - in the end all is right on the night but what fight is a judge watching? any person with a common sense would give it 29-28.

It does make you wonder
Old 06-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Maldonado136

I call Omigawa getting the win bonus justice.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:44 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Must have been pretty obvious for Dana to give a fighter a bonus like that! I don't think he's the type to hand out bonuses for nothing!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Chris F

He was robbed but maybe next time he won;t leave it in the judges hands. IMO
Old 06-13-2011, 12:06 AM
logrus

Didn't one of the judges score it 30-26 during the Shane vs Junior fight?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
Didn't one of the judges score it 30-26 during the Shane vs Junior fight?
Flo noticed that too, Logrus. For the Maia fight, I had him winning the 1st and losing the 2nd and 3rd; and in Kenny's fight, I had him losing the first and winning the last two, but the scores don't tell that tale.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:00 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Flo noticed that too, Logrus. For the Maia fight, I had him winning the 1st and losing the 2nd and 3rd; and in Kenny's fight, I had him losing the first and winning the last two, but the scores don't tell that tale.
Thats how I had scored them as well, for the Shane fight it was definitely a 30-27 round, but that flurry came so late I don't think it was a 10-8 round.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post
This happens a lot in fights where in the end the judges usually pick the right winner but one of them picked it 30-27?????????

Florian and Maia were perfect examples of this - in the end all is right on the night but what fight is a judge watching? any person with a common sense would give it 29-28.

It does make you wonder
+++

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16