Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 06-11-2011, 10:24 PM
cheachea

Default Question about Revelation 12:14

Rev. 12:14 NKJV

14 But the woman was given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness to her place, where she is nourished for a time and times and half a time, from the presence of the serpent.

I wanted to ask everyone if the reference of the two wings of a great eagle is America and if the woman is Israel. The reason I ask if the 2 wings of an eagle is America, is because America seems to be the only country backing and supporting Israel. What are your thoughts on this ? Is this idea plausible ?

Last edited by cheachea; 06-12-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 PM
surveyorshawn

I don't know, but it is a very interesting thought. I have never considered that before.....
Old 06-13-2011, 03:44 AM
Chuck

I don't believe any prophecy in Scripture is a references to modern day nations with the exception of Israel. There are other countries who incorporate Eagles into their national identity and it could arguably be any of those.

Some prophecy in Scripture references Israel but that's a nation/people that has had a prominent role in Scripture pretty much from cover to cover.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Depends who the woman is

Supposing the woman is supposed to be The Gospel...then...No...coz the Gospel was primarily spread by the Holy Roman Empire...Ironically...the Legions marched under Banners depicting an Eagle also...One of which you can see in my Avatar

Frankly...it could mean anything...you have to also remember that Christian Nations often pick symbols because they are biblical...that would then not always be prophecy...because they are deliberately picking something in the prophecy they have read.

For example...lets just have a look at what it says in my Avatar

it says "Senate and People of Rome" This is supposed to be the Motto of The Roman Republic...and its meaning...is basically a Government Of The People, run By the people, For the people.

Tell me...how that differs from the American ideal of Government? So..I find it very interesting that when the Founders sat down and thought about America, thought about the Government they should have...they settled on a System that has its origins in Rome...not only that...they have an Eagle also...and not only that...the Symbology of the nation is actually depicted BY The direction the Eagles head is...is he looking for peace...or is he looking for war...

America may even have the eagle because of Rome...so is that fulfilment of prophecy...when she directly CHOOSES to align herself? Thats more like self fulfilling Prophecy...where she becomes the Eagle described because she dons an Eagle.

I'm not saying No...what I'm saying is...its impossible to know, WHICH Eagle, and WHAT Woman that is a reference to...The interesting thing about that passage is actually that the Eagle is not important...what is important is the ability to FLY, and to Escape.

Could be talking about a mode of Transport...and Airplane for example, Two Great Wings, Transporting the Woman away from harm...its impossible to know...and its deliberately so...GOD wants us to be aware...but not to know...about the End times.

Doesnt the Airbourne wing of the US Army have the Eagles Head as a logo...mindue...it doesnt depict the wings does it... Who knows.

Fun to think about though
Old 06-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Chris F

CHUCK IS RIGHT ON THIS ONE. There are no modern countries in prophecy. Wings in prophetic literature in the bible symbolize divine protection. This verse is talking about Gods protection and has nothing to do with America. People like Jack Van Immpe and the like have done their best to force America into everything. Just not the case if one applies sound biblical hermeneutics.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Depends who the woman is

Supposing the woman is supposed to be The Gospel...then...No...coz the Gospel was primarily spread by the Holy Roman Empire...Ironically...the Legions marched under Banners depicting an Eagle also...One of which you can see in my Avatar

Frankly...it could mean anything...you have to also remember that Christian Nations often pick symbols because they are biblical...that would then not always be prophecy...because they are deliberately picking something in the prophecy they have read.

For example...lets just have a look at what it says in my Avatar

it says "Senate and People of Rome" This is supposed to be the Motto of The Roman Republic...and its meaning...is basically a Government Of The People, run By the people, For the people.

Tell me...how that differs from the American ideal of Government? So..I find it very interesting that when the Founders sat down and thought about America, thought about the Government they should have...they settled on a System that has its origins in Rome...not only that...they have an Eagle also...and not only that...the Symbology of the nation is actually depicted BY The direction the Eagles head is...is he looking for peace...or is he looking for war...

America may even have the eagle because of Rome...so is that fulfilment of prophecy...when she directly CHOOSES to align herself? Thats more like self fulfilling Prophecy...where she becomes the Eagle described because she dons an Eagle.

I'm not saying No...what I'm saying is...its impossible to know, WHICH Eagle, and WHAT Woman that is a reference to...The interesting thing about that passage is actually that the Eagle is not important...what is important is the ability to FLY, and to Escape.

Could be talking about a mode of Transport...and Airplane for example, Two Great Wings, Transporting the Woman away from harm...its impossible to know...and its deliberately so...GOD wants us to be aware...but not to know...about the End times.

Doesnt the Airbourne wing of the US Army have the Eagles Head as a logo...mindue...it doesnt depict the wings does it... Who knows.

Fun to think about though
That woman in Revelation is generally understood to be the nation of Israel. I say "generally understood to be" because we humans have a terrible track record of interpreting prophecy before the fact; but most prophecy scholars will say that the woman is Israel.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
That woman in Revelation is generally understood to be the nation of Israel. I say "generally understood to be" because we humans have a terrible track record of interpreting prophecy before the fact; but most prophecy scholars will say that the woman is Israel.
Oh...I see
Old 06-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
CHUCK IS RIGHT ON THIS ONE. There are no modern countries in prophecy. Wings in prophetic literature in the bible symbolize divine protection. This verse is talking about Gods protection and has nothing to do with America. People like Jack Van Immpe and the like have done their best to force America into everything. Just not the case if one applies sound biblical hermeneutics.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Rev

LOL, doing a study with the men in our church and some of the old timers are trying their best to put America in Revelation. LOL

had to stop the Study and do a 3 night class on hermeneutics and now they call me all day long realizing that they have been missing alot of things because they didnt know how to study.
I dont mean that like it sounds so please dont flip out and say that I said anyone didnt know how to study.