Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD
My brother jumped those same very Falls in Niagara 9 years ago. They never found his body. Yes it is extremely sad that people are so distraught that they take there own lives. I know as a family, we have never and will never get over something like this.

I watched the video of this guy jumping, and felt extremely sad.
Really?

I would never have thought of it as a method, thats why it shocked me when I first read it and posted it. I thought it sounded a bit...of an unusual way to attempt something like that.

sorry if I've upset you
Old 03-13-2009, 02:35 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerstabber
I will probably get booed and hissed at for this but, I have to say it and its just my opinion. People that kill themselves are selfish. You should feel no remorse for that individual. They didnt think of anybodies feelings but there own. If they would have came and talked to you (their FRIEND) then you could have talked them out of it, But they didnt and know their gone poor them. Bye the way I had a friend take his own life.
I'm booing you right now. Every situation is different. While some suicides might be out of selfish motives, I can assure you that's not true in every case. Someone on here just mentioned a loved one that committed suicide. Try to be a little more sensitive before posting something like that.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:37 PM
KevinD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Really?

I would never have thought of it as a method, thats why it shocked me when I first read it and posted it. I thought it sounded a bit...of an unusual way to attempt something like that.

sorry if I've upset you

Dave I live minutes away from the Falls. Many many local people have gone over those falls as a means to suicide. Most bodies are not found. They get pinned against the rocks or caught in the whirlpool. My wife used to work at a tourist spot in the Falls and numerous times had to call the authorities because of seeing a body on the river.

A guy I work with also is a diver that recovers bodies in the river. The stories are horrific. Its sad. Extremely sad.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
I will probably get booed and hissed at for this but, I have to say it and its just my opinion. People that kill themselves are selfish. You should feel no remorse for that individual. They didnt think of anybodies feelings but there own. If they would have came and talked to you (their FRIEND) then you could have talked them out of it, But they didnt and know their gone poor them. Bye the way I had a friend take his own life.
Obviously something in they're life made them feel they had no feelings in order to end they're own life...So you lost a friend as well to suicide and don't feel any remorse? Why would you now it was only your friend? Someone who's pain was intolerable right? If that friend would have called you would you have shown him the same cold feelings your exhibiting here?

Last edited by Miss Foxy; 03-13-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Deerstabber

You have a choice GET OVER IT OR GET OUT! Weak people get out. Strong people get thru it. Its nature! The only reason taking your own life is acceptable, Terminal illnes! The rest are just wussies takin easy street!
Answer this: What in this world is worth taking your own life?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Moose

Quote:
You have a choice GET OVER IT OR GET OUT! Weak people get out. Strong people get thru it. Its nature! The only reason taking your own life is acceptable, Terminal illnes! The rest are just wussies takin easy street!
Answer this: What in this world is worth taking your own life?
You should've quit a few posts ago. Keep swingin' for the fences champ, someday you'll hit one out!
Old 03-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD
Dave I live minutes away from the Falls. Many many local people have gone over those falls as a means to suicide. Most bodies are not found. They get pinned against the rocks or caught in the whirlpool. My wife used to work at a tourist spot in the Falls and numerous times had to call the authorities because of seeing a body on the river.

A guy I work with also is a diver that recovers bodies in the river. The stories are horrific. Its sad. Extremely sad.

I've never considered it...but then I suppose without being or living near there you never would. Before I worked at Saint Paul's Cathedral, I never would have thought someone would have considered jumping from one of the Galleries as a method of Suicide...I mean, its an indoor fall, not an outside fall...you cant fall far from an outside Gallery because of the shape of the dome, you'd just end up brused and trapped in a nook on the roof.

but jumping the 90 feet from the indoor Whispering Gallery...You fall and land..well it depends which side you jump. If you jump west/south/north you'd land smack in the middle of the Dome area. If you jumped in the East, you'd land on the dais infront of the Altar.

There has been at least two jumpers since the Wren Cathedral opened. One within the last 18 years, Mid 1990s I think. Guy came in. Bought ticket to dome, climbed up the stair and didnt even pause, came right out onto the Gallery and jumped the rail right next to the Steward on duty who bearly saw him before he'd lept over. Came crashing down on the North side...impailed himself on the chairs below in the Dome.

My Friend, and collegue (Charles Williams) a Senior Virger, my personal confidente during my Tenure, and the Land Lord of the Lay Community for its entire 6 year History...he was the guy who had to go and...erm...check for a pulse

Old 03-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn

I've never considered it...but then I suppose without being or living near there you never would. Before I worked at Saint Paul's Cathedral, I never would have thought someone would have considered jumping from one of the Galleries as a method of Suicide...I mean, its an indoor fall, not an outside fall...you cant fall far from an outside Gallery because of the shape of the dome, you'd just end up brused and trapped in a nook on the roof.

but jumping the 90 feet from the indoor Whispering Gallery...You fall and land..well it depends which side you jump. If you jump west/south/north you'd land smack in the middle of the Dome area. If you jumped in the East, you'd land on the dais infront of the Altar.

There has been at least two jumpers since the Wren Cathedral opened. One within the last 18 years, Mid 1990s I think. Guy came in. Bought ticket to dome, climbed up the stair and didnt even pause, came right out onto the Gallery and jumped the rail right next to the Steward on duty who bearly saw him before he'd lept over. Came crashing down on the North side...impailed himself on the chairs below in the Dome.

My Friend, and collegue (Charles Williams) a Senior Virger, my personal confidente during my Tenure, and the Land Lord of the Lay Community for its entire 6 year History...he was the guy who had to go and...erm...check for a pulse

If a man gets impaled on chairs on my watch, let's just say I won't check for a pulse. I'll just call the authorities and tell them we have a jumper that's either DRT or DAO. They'll understand.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Stump Rules!

I live in the bay area of Calif and they are about to spend millions and millions on some sort of net, or blocking device to stop people from jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge. I say save the money and let them jump if they want to.There are a bunch of other bridges and cliffs into the ocean around here they can jump from. I doubt that building something on the one will stop someone determined.I just hate that we all have to pay for it with our tax money.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 03-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
I live in the bay area of Calif and they are about to spend millions and millions on some sort of net, or blocking device to stop people from jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge. I say save the money and let them jump if they want to.There are a bunch of other bridges and cliffs into the ocean around here they can jump from. I doubt that building something on the one will stop someone determined.I just hate that we all have to pay for it with our tax money.
Yeah what a waste of money... I used to live in San Diego and the Coronado Bridge was notorious for suicides.