Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default The Suicidal jumper who just cant kill himself!

Man survives Niagara Falls plunge

A man has survived a 180ft plunge over Niagara Falls and then resisted rescuers' efforts to pull him from the icy water, police said.

The man, believed to be in his late 30s, was semiconscious when he was rescued and taken to a hospital in Niagara Falls, Canada.

His condition was not immediately known.

Niagara Parks Police Chief Doug Kane said the man was suffering from hypothermia and a head injury. Police were unable to get any information from the man because of the effects of the near-freezing water.

Asked if the man was trying to kill himself, Mr Kane said: ‘He voluntarily entered into the water and refused medical assistance at the bottom.’

A witness called police telling them a man had jumped into the Horseshoe Falls on the Niagara's Canadian side. A short time later, he was seen near the base of the falls.

Specially trained rescue crews tried to assist the man but he swam away from them toward the middle of the river, Mr Kane said.

A private helicopter from Niagara Falls Helicopter was called in and got close to the victim. Wind from the aircraft's blades forced enough of a current to push him closer to shore where rescuers could get to him.

He wasn't co-operative,’ the pilot, Ruedi Hafen, owner of Niagara Falls Helicopter, said. ‘He didn't try to be helpful. We had a sling on him and he got out of it.’

Mr Hafen said the man had a "big gashing injury" on his head. ‘He was on a suicide mission, I assume,’ Mr Hafen said. ‘I've never, in my career, seen someone so tough, swimming between the ice.’
Old 03-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Crisco

Girlfriend probably dumped him
Old 03-12-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I used to live in a small town in Missouri and in one of the neighboring towns, there was a man who shot himself through the mouth with a gun (not sure what type), but he survived. He looks, weird, to say the least.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
Girlfriend probably dumped him
there must be easier ways then throwing yourself off a waterfall. What a dissapointment it must have been to fall ONEHUNDREDEIGHTY Feet and discover nothing much at the bottom.

if he wanted to fall...there are buildings that guarentee an express delivery to Judgement...and if he wanted to drown, doesnt he have a bathtub and a nearby pharmacy?

But Going to the Falls, and then not managing to kill yourself in such a stunt. Wow...thats actually embarrising
Old 03-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
I used to live in a small town in Missouri and in one of the neighboring towns, there was a man who shot himself through the mouth with a gun (not sure what type), but he survived. He looks, weird, to say the least.
accidently go through his cheek per chance??
Old 03-12-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
accidently go through his cheek per chance??
I believe it went out of the back of his skull. Didn't know the guy personally, but saw him once.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Stump Rules!

I've heard of a guy that was found on his hands and knees feeling around for his gun already a bloody mess. He put the gun in such a way he pretty much just blew his eyes out and was trying to find the gun to do it right

Quote:

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 03-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Primadawn

Quote:
I grew up in a small town in Missouri--what was yours called?
Old 03-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
I believe it went out of the back of his skull. Didn't know the guy personally, but saw him once.
That should have killed him, or at least blinded him...I say that because the Limbic Structure is actually from the base of the spine up. Thats the part that uncon controls things like breathing and Homestasis. Right at the front is the personality and the chemical creating parts...and in between the two at the back is the visual cortex, and centres for speach and movement and control.

Not that I'm an expert.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:42 PM
County Mike

I read about the waterfall guy at cnn.com this morning. Sounds like a pretty exciting way to go - or not go since he survived it. Now he has an awesome story to tell.