Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 06-08-2011, 06:48 PM

Default Goshen College Bans Nat'l Anthem

Quote:
The national anthem has again sparked controversy. Goshen College, a Mennonite school in Indiana, has banned the playing of “The Star-Spangled Banner” at its sporting events because the lyrics of the song conflict with the school’s pacifist values, reports Fox News.

Although the Mennonite Church does not stand in express opposition to the anthem, the school believes their “Christ-centered core value of compassionate peacemaking” to be in conflict with the anthem’s lyrics, which exalt military might.

Read more here.

I have mixed feelings about this but I'm leaning towards thinking they are eejits for doing this. What do y'all think?

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 06-08-2011, 06:54 PM
rearnakedchoke

it's dumb ... but now you are going to have muslim schools ban the anthem and people will make them out to be infidels ... LOL
Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Read more here.

I have mixed feelings about this but I'm leaning towards thinking they are eejits for doing this. What do y'all think?

Well.. let's just go take over the school.. should be pretty easy...

You can be a pacifist if you want.. to deny the acts that brought this country into being... and lead you to be able to have your pacifist ways.. is cowardice..
Old 06-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Dethbob

"the school believes their “Christ-centered core value of compassionate peacemaking” to be in conflict with the anthem’s lyrics, which exalt military might."

The rockets red glare was the military might of the British, directed at us, and the lyrics give God the glory for overcoming that might. I think if they were at all concerned with facts they would already know that.

Sad that they are presuming to teach others.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Really...the US National Anthem isnt a pale shade on some national anthems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAK23saAI1I the Germans are so ashamed of their history, they simply do not sing the first verse of this anthem

Germany, Germany, over all, over all the world

also...have they only just realizes it mentions war what took them 330 years to decide it conflicted with their pacifism
Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Guess that's one college that I would recommend against! Wonder if they would accept Lee Greenwoods God Bless America song?
Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
Guess that's one college that I would recommend against! Wonder if they would accept Lee Greenwoods God Bless America song?
i don't know if colleges get any government assistance, but if they do, they should have their assistance/grants whatever, cut off too ..
Old 06-09-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Read more here.

i have alot of respect for the mennonites, and i am betting that they know what they are doing

for all we know, they are sneakily trying to make a precedent that will be used to allow for prayer or ten commandment placement, the mennonnites are one of the few groups i don't second guess
Old 06-09-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

It's kinda weird because that college is part of the Mennonite Church USA. Perhaps they should go ahead and drop USA from their name while they're at it; then it would at least be fitting.