Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default UFC Looking to Buy G4 Cable Channel

HUGE news from MMAFighting.com!!!

Quote:
In a blockbuster development, the UFC is in talks to buy an ownership stake in the G4 cable channel, according to published reports.

On Wednesday, New York Times TV reporter Brian Stelter tweeted that a source had confirmed that "Comcast is meeting with UFC today about possible sale of a stake in G4." Meanwhile, The Wall Street Journal furthered the developing story, saying the UFC is in discussions to "buy control" of the network.

In recent days, sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity told MMA Fighting that Spike, which has been the home of the UFC since 2005, is essentially preparing for life without UFC, and that it will move the Bellator promotion on to the channel in 2012.

For the last several days, the internal belief within Spike had been that G4 would ultimately become the UFC's home for The Ultimate Fighter and other broadcast events. The scope of the deal, and that cable channel ownership was in the works, comes as something of a surprise, even though in the past UFC president Dana White has spoken of the possibility.

G4 is currently owned by Comcast, the parent company of UFC television partner Versus.

While nothing is close to final, Spike is no longer aggressively seeking to renew its deal with UFC, practically ensuring that the promotion will find a new home for its Ultimate Fighter series, along with other UFC programming.

Several Spike employees are openly referring to the upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter as "the last season," and as MMA Fighting reported recently, Spike executives have been on site at recent Bellator events, familiarizing themselves with the promotion. According to a source, it's likely that Bellator will return to weekday events, possibly on Thursdays, so as not to directly compete with UFC. Bellator's current broadcast deal is with MTV2, which like Spike, is owned by the media conglomerate Viacom.

Even if the UFC buys control of G4, it will have some work to do to build up the struggling network, which is available in just 59 million homes. By contrast, Spike is available in 99 million. At the end of 2010, G4 was removed off DirecTV, a move that could be reversed given the UFC's strength as TV's premier pay-per-view provider, a business that directly benefits DirecTV.

Barring what now seems like an unlikely and costly contract extension, the UFC's deal with Spike will come to an end in 2011.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Country Breakfast

I don't know if this is a very good idea. The Ultimate Fighter is coming of its worst season yet.(as far as the number of viewers go) Now they are going to move the series and other UFC programming to a network that many don't have.
The hardcore fans that have G4 will probably watch, but many of the casual fans will likely not be bothered to track it down on another network.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:38 PM

I obviously don't know what the reason to leave Spike might be but I really like Spike! It has very good HD quality. To be honest I've never seen anything on G4! I don't even know if I have that channel....
Old 06-09-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Breakfast View Post
I don't know if this is a very good idea. The Ultimate Fighter is coming of its worst season yet.(as far as the number of viewers go) Now they are going to move the series and other UFC programming to a network that many don't have.
The hardcore fans that have G4 will probably watch, but many of the casual fans will likely not be bothered to track it down on another network.
If they UFC owns this channel, all the major providers will add it to their listings if it isn't already on there.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:46 AM
County Mike

G4 sounds like a step backwards from Spike. I guess they figure they can make it into something bigger.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:44 PM
logrus

Well G4 used to be Tech Tv back in the day, it used to be a pretty decent station and then it kinda went to . Then it fell deeper into the poopoo when Direct Tv lost the rights to show it.

Wonder what the purchase would do to the core shows on that network though.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:15 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Guess owning your own channel would give you more control over what you put on TV! Sounds like they will need to build the channel back up though!
Old 06-10-2011, 05:37 PM
County Mike

Maybe if the UFC owns the channel they'll have more control over who gets selected to be in the TUF house. From what I've heard, Spike had a lot of control over that and was looking for drama more than good fighters. Maybe this will be a blessing for TUF.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:07 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Maybe if the UFC owns the channel they'll have more control over who gets selected to be in the TUF house. From what I've heard, Spike had a lot of control over that and was looking for drama more than good fighters. Maybe this will be a blessing for TUF.
Never thought of that but I hope your right!
Old 06-11-2011, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
I obviously don't know what the reason to leave Spike might be but I really like Spike! It has very good HD quality. To be honest I've never seen anything on G4! I don't even know if I have that channel....
Hmmm, same here. We have the dreaded Comcast (yuck, ptooey) but I don't know about G4...

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16