Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-07-2011, 06:42 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
I don't see what that has to do with winning? Winning is Winning I think.
gsp is one of the biggest draws in mma ... he's not american, his english isn't the best and his fights are boring ... doesn't seem like someone who would be a great draw, but there are only a few guys that outdraw him ....
Old 06-07-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
gsp is one of the biggest draws in mma ... he's not american, his english isn't the best and his fights are boring ... doesn't seem like someone who would be a great draw, but there are only a few guys that outdraw him ....
Exactly but to each his own.... I personally don't GSP boring not at all. Yes the Shields fight was a little lackluster but he only had one eye. Everyone says blah blah blah GSP couldn't finish a one eyed Koscheck... Why dont they give Shields crap about not finishing a one eyed GSP

Their is so much hate for GSP it's not even funny anymore.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Why dont they give Shields crap about not finishing a one eyed GSP
ohh... I do.. Shields isn't in the GSP class though...

Quote:
Their is so much hate for GSP it's not even funny anymore.

Wrong thread
Old 06-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
He hasnt always been boring, which helpped make him the draw prior to the Championship. His Draw is now tied directly to the outcome of his fights...he's criticised for being boring and winning...but he has now a hell of a lot to looose...and one slip is all it would take

I never desputed that winning can make you a draw...but simply being a draw because you win is very dangerous...you wont always win. Sooner or later we'll find that out with GSP also...unless he quits whilst ahead...but alot of these fighters who cherish winning, and live to train....they probably cant stop or quit, or retire early...which would be the one way to solve this conundrum.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
I don't see what that has to do with winning? Winning is Winning I think.
Whats the point in winning...if you cant remain successful?

Thats what Winning is all about, to make oneself successful.

but if you dont have something other then winning...how do you remain successful when you looose?

Thats what its got to do with winning. Have you never heard of a Pyric victory? Have you never heard the phrase about winning the battle but looosing the war?

If your pleased to live in the moment...fine...but if you have a family to support, thats irresponsible.

I like to see fighters successful, more then winning...and wholistically across the career rather then a single match.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Pyrrhus was a brave King who decided to take on The Roman Empire. He actually managed to defeat the Roman Legions in Battle....but the cost to his own self was so great, it made the victory pretty pointless...and actually made him closer to defeat across the war.

Clay Guida wants to win the Championship belt...he fights against Anthony Pettis, and he won. But what price did his victory cost him? The method of victory he chose means he'll likely have to fight and win more battles before contending...Anthony Pettis yet has time to get the shot BEFORE he does despite this loss.

So what favours did he do himself in winning...and is he further away from his goal in victory, then he would have been if he had...for example, stood toe-to-toe with Pettis, gone down in a blaze of glory...to win one more match and challenge Pettis for the title in a grudge and revenge match...?

Incase your wondering...Pyrrhus beat the Romans in Battle Twice. Ultimately He lost the War
Old 06-07-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Whats the point in winning...if you cant remain successful?

Thats what Winning is all about, to make oneself successful.

but if you dont have something other then winning...how do you remain successful when you looose?

Thats what its got to do with winning. Have you never heard of a Pyric victory? Have you never heard the phrase about winning the battle but looosing the war?

If your pleased to live in the moment...fine...but if you have a family to support, thats irresponsible.

I like to see fighters successful, more then winning...and wholistically across the career rather then a single match.

molehill>mountain
Old 06-07-2011, 08:24 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

In that fight Clay seemed very aggressive and busy to me! Looked to me like he was constantly throwing punches and trying to improve and finish. Petties done a good job of defending so he did not get finished!
Old 06-07-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
ohh... I do.. Shields isn't in the GSP class though...
That's not what everyone was saying about Shields before the fight...
Old 06-07-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
That's not what everyone was saying about Shields before the fight...

Who is this "everyone" that you speak of??

I had hoped that Shields would have a chance... but nah...