Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-05-2011, 11:56 PM
ufcfan2

I'm not a huge GSP fan,but I don't think he has to goto a different weight class to prove himself? I don't think he has the build or size to match up with many MW at all,and I'm sure he knows this and does he wanna take a chance at losing? Maybe he don't want to take that chance,Matt never went up/down in weight to prove anything to anyone and I don't see why GSP has to neither.
Its not GSP's fault that his opponents can't come up with a game plan to dethrone him? Ya, I would love to see him actually put it on the line and try to finish someone,but /shrug he just don't..
*eek did I just defend GSP,ugh I must be feeling ill.....
Old 06-06-2011, 12:04 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcfan2 View Post
I'm not a huge GSP fan,but I don't think he has to goto a different weight class to prove himself? I don't think he has the build or size to match up with many MW at all,and I'm sure he knows this and does he wanna take a chance at losing? Maybe he don't want to take that chance,Matt never went up/down in weight to prove anything to anyone and I don't see why GSP has to neither.
Its not GSP's fault that his opponents can't come up with a game plan to dethrone him? Ya, I would love to see him actually put it on the line and try to finish someone,but /shrug he just don't..
*eek did I just defend GSP,ugh I must be feeling ill.....
He doesn't need to prove himself, at all.

But what is the point in beating sub par competition when challenges lie at 185?

OBVIOUSLY, gsp doesn't want to risk losing, that is my entire point.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Maldonado136

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
Didn't Matt offer to go to MW after a fight?
Yes, he did.
I'm talking about the double standard with fans being fine with Matt not going but acting like GSP has to (they really just want to see him lose and are so desperate that they are pulling this card now). I already said it's obvious that he doesn't want to go up. I should have known this thread wasn't really about asking questions and just more whining about GSP. If it isn't moving weight classes then it's something else. He beat BJ, get over it. You and Que can keep closing your eyes and trying to pretend like it wasn't a legitimate victory but he did in fact beat him. Too bad. You guys are as bitter about it as Jon Fitch is about himself not getting a title shot coming off a draw.

...............Georges beat BJ.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:22 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
yeah, you forgot

BJ lost to a natural 145er twice and fled the division
Gsp got beat by a guy who hung out and fought in the LW division. Not only that, but the same guy who mentally broke Gsp into the lame azz fighter he is today.

As for Penn, he didn't look to bad in his last 2 fights, he took care of a HoF and he took Fitch to a Draw.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 AM
kevint13

Quote:

But what is the point in beating sub par competition when challenges lie at 185?

I totally agree with you. Isn't that what competing is about, challenging yourself? I even think Matt said once that if you aren't being challenged then you aren't fighting the right people.

There may be nothing that anyone can do at 170 to challenge him, but there is something that he can do for a challenge and that is to move up in weight.

Matt was more than ready to jump to 185 and fight Tanner if he would have beaten Franklin.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:42 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:

although from my posts, i am a gsp fan, but this point here is true .... i also don't think that his handlers are properly laying out the risk/reward of the anderson fight ... to me the risk is low and the reward is huge ... if gsp fights anderson and loses, i think most people would expect it, some would be happy and laugh, and gsp would go on to continue fighting and beating opponents whether at 170 or 185 ... if gsp beats anderson, that would be huge ... at that point it would not be debatable (except to the real hardcore gsp haters) that gsp is the greatest mmartist to every fight .. ever ...
Old 06-06-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldonado136 View Post
I'm talking about the double standard with fans being fine with Matt not going but acting like GSP has to (they really just want to see him lose and are so desperate that they are pulling this card now). I already said it's obvious that he doesn't want to go up. I should have known this thread wasn't really about asking questions and just more whining about GSP. If it isn't moving weight classes then it's something else. He beat BJ, get over it. You and Que can keep closing your eyes and trying to pretend like it wasn't a legitimate victory but he did in fact beat him. Too bad. You guys are as bitter about it as Jon Fitch is about himself not getting a title shot coming off a draw.

...............Georges beat BJ.
You speak nothing but The Truth!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I totally agree with you. Isn't that what competing is about, challenging yourself? I even think Matt said once that if you aren't being challenged then you aren't fighting the right people.

There may be nothing that anyone can do at 170 to challenge him, but there is something that he can do for a challenge and that is to move up in weight.

Matt was more than ready to jump to 185 and fight Tanner if he would have beaten Franklin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
Gsp got beat by a guy who hung out and fought in the LW division. Not only that, but the same guy who mentally broke Gsp into the lame azz fighter he is today.

As for Penn, he didn't look to bad in his last 2 fights, he took care of a HoF and he took Fitch to a Draw.
Come on guys I know we are on the Matt Hughes forum but how does that change anything "could of" "would of" the fact is Matt didn't move up in weight. How does Matt saying he would fight at 185lbs make him any tougher than GSP if he never moved up when he was at the top of the welterweight division? Hell Chael said he would move to Heavyweight and beat Brock Lesnar!

In case you forgot that lightweight "Serra I think you are referring to" almost beat Hughes he Rocked him twice and Matt didn't do much when he was on top. That fight was more boring than any GSP fight I've ever seen.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:52 PM
BamaGrits84

The UFC is in the entertainment business and GSP isn't very entertaining anymore, or at least not to me and a whole lot of other people it seems. Do you ever hear anyone call GSP a beast? After so many rounds being an intelligent fighters gets boring. I don't know if that means he should be forced to move up a class and immediately fight Silva. Actually I would say that is not even fair. Maybe if everyone would stop pushing him to move up and jump right into the cage with Silva he would be more willing to consider a move. How many fighters has GSP beaten that have fought Silva? None in the past few years for sure. The closest relation I can think of is that GSP beat Shields and Shields beat Hendo who lost to Silva. How about asking GSP to fight Cote?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:08 PM
kevint13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
Come on guys I know we are on the Matt Hughes forum but how does that change anything "could of" "would of" the fact is Matt didn't move up in weight. How does Matt saying he would fight at 185lbs make him any tougher than GSP if he never moved up when he was at the top of the welterweight division? Hell Chael said he would move to Heavyweight and beat Brock Lesnar!
Matt was looking for a challenge and obviously Chael would have been too. Rich still held the title at 185 and he made it clear that he would not fight Rich.

I never said that it made Matt tougher, I am saying that Matt has always been willing to challenge himself.