Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
yeah .. but diaz fans forget to mention that nick couldn't finish noons who had a broken jaw in the first round .. and i think a broken hand ... finishes are over rated .. both gsp and diaz had those fights won and their opponents weren't pushing things to win, so they just did what they were doing and won the fight ..

I would not agree that a finish is over rated.. to have a fight stopped due to a cut.. "eh.. ok".... To have a fight stopped due to GnP.. that shows that the winner.. was in control.. no doubt...

a KO.. well.. few things beat a KO finish. A KO speaks for it's self...

A submission.. now that is art!

To have a fight be decided.. "ok.. power shot vs peppering shot".. take downs vs getting back to the feet.. sub attempt vs an escape.. just means.. pretty damn equal.. and what is worth more.. people have different ideas.. but when a fight is finished.. 98% of the time.. there is little to argue about...

"He won that fight!!! He made him tap!!!"
"No he didn't.. he didn't tap!"
"What?? Did you not see him hitting the mat like Thumper from Bambi???"
"No I wasn't looking"
"Did you not hear the ref.. 'due to submisison/strikes whatever'..??"
"No I didn't.. there was a tear in my beer."

See those conversations do not happen.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:18 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Nope didn't forget that.. But one was so far back that .. IMO.. not a factor.. and the second.. well.. everyone has the "good day/bad day"..

I will be looking to do something just like that really soon. (betting on the fight... real betting.. not a wager amongest friends.. that's.. !gosh! illegal)

Nate named him "the one eyed man" in the spoliers for UFC 124 ( I think that was the thread).. and the damage to the one eye was in the first round.. at least to the point where he wasn't seeing out of it.. DEFINATELY within the first minute of the second.. NO WAY Koz could see out of that eye.. so to leave a LOT of "wiggle room".. for 3 full rounds... GSP couldn't finish a one eyed man in a fight.

Again.. I have become a Koz fan.. (hated his 'tude on TUF).. and I am a GSP fan..
Explain to me how finishing Matt is less relevant than not finishing Jason Miller...lol...the Miller fight was almost 3 years before GSP/Hughes 2....
Old 06-02-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
you don't make the rules around here .. but you do have to follow them .....

I never said I did.. or that I didn't want to.. I was having a little fun with some of the PMs that have been going around.. sorry your sarcasm meter is busted.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:23 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
I would not agree that a finish is over rated.. to have a fight stopped due to a cut.. "eh.. ok".... To have a fight stopped due to GnP.. that shows that the winner.. was in control.. no doubt...

a KO.. well.. few things beat a KO finish. A KO speaks for it's self...

A submission.. now that is art!

To have a fight be decided.. "ok.. power shot vs peppering shot".. take downs vs getting back to the feet.. sub attempt vs an escape.. just means.. pretty damn equal.. and what is worth more.. people have different ideas.. but when a fight is finished.. 98% of the time.. there is little to argue about...

"He won that fight!!! He made him tap!!!"
"No he didn't.. he didn't tap!"
"What?? Did you not see him hitting the mat like Thumper from Bambi???"
"No I wasn't looking"
"Did you not hear the ref.. 'due to submisison/strikes whatever'..??"
"No I didn't.. there was a tear in my beer."

See those conversations do not happen.
a finish is more impressive than a close decision, but gsp has had 2 close decisions (one as i don't think the shields fight was as close as it was scored) ... most of his wins are pretty dominant ... yes, ko's and subs are impressive, but you always have people saying, oh, he just made a mental mistake, or he just got caught ... in the gsp vs. fitch, alves, kos, hardy and imo shields, there was no doubt that gsp beat them hands down ... if he were squeaking out decisions, that would be a different story ......
Old 06-02-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
LOL, are you serious with this? Name 1 top 10 fighter on Nick's resume whom he beat. And don't say Frank Shamrock, he was not a top 10 when they fought.

Meanwhile, GSP has been OWNING top 2s-3s for years.
Frank hasn't been relevant in years... but he could fight well in his day.

as far as naming a name..

Daley is currently ranked the #10 best welterweight in the world by Sherdog and the ninth best welterweight in the world by Yahoo! Sports.

Noons was ranked in the top 10 at one time right?

And yes.. GSP has been beating the top 10 UFCers.. but hasn't "hardly" been owning them...

Just to set the scale right on "owning". Chael was "owning" Andy for 4 and 3 quarter rounds.. Rich Franklin owned Nate Quarry.. Chuck Liddell owned Vernon White.. those are "off the top" examples of "owning".. Hughes owned Serra.... Jones owned Shogun.. Cain owned Lesnar..in my book.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
a finish is more impressive than a close decision, but gsp has had 2 close decisions (one as i don't think the shields fight was as close as it was scored) ... most of his wins are pretty dominant ... yes, ko's and subs are impressive, but you always have people saying, oh, he just made a mental mistake, or he just got caught ... in the gsp vs. fitch, alves, kos, hardy and imo shields, there was no doubt that gsp beat them hands down ... if he were squeaking out decisions, that would be a different story ......

Sure.. understood.. but when you are fighting to "not lose".. against a fighter.. who only fights to win.. and to dominate.. it's going to get ugly.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:28 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Frank hasn't been relevant in years... but he could fight well in his day.

as far as naming a name..

Daley is currently ranked the #10 best welterweight in the world by Sherdog and the ninth best welterweight in the world by Yahoo! Sports.

Noons was ranked in the top 10 at one time right?

And yes.. GSP has been beating the top 10 UFCers.. but hasn't "hardly" been owning them...

Just to set the scale right on "owning". Chael was "owning" Andy for 4 and 3 quarter rounds.. Rich Franklin owned Nate Quarry.. Chuck Liddell owned Vernon White.. those are "off the top" examples of "owning".. in my book.
how can you say chael was owning silva and don't think gsp has owned every single one of this opponents .. i don't get it ..
Old 06-02-2011, 03:33 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Just to set the scale right on "owning". Chael was "owning" Andy for 4 and 3 quarter rounds...
Chael not only lost the fight, but he also looked a lot more beat up after that fight than Silva did...and then he pissed hot....and he still hasn't fought since then...So I think it's safe to say Chael is the one who got "owned" in the end.

Although, I would love to see them fight again just because if history tells us anything it would be likely that Silva would KO Chael and then it would be hilarious to hear what all the Haters & Huggers had to say.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
how can you say chael was owning silva and don't think gsp has owned every single one of this opponents .. i don't get it ..

well.. Chael did not allow Andy to mount any real defense.. and stuffed all offense...

I see GSP working for control.. getting it and doing nothing with it..

Kind of like Randy keeping a fighter against the cage.. but without the "dirty boxing".

another example of owning.. Grey for the first round of Grey/Maynard 2.. oh god that was brutal to watch... but WHAT A COMEBACK!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Explain to me how finishing Matt is less relevant than not finishing Jason Miller...lol...the Miller fight was almost 3 years before GSP/Hughes 2....

?? huh??

It's not less relevant.

GSP did finish Matt.. and not Miller.. finishing Matt Hughes is an job that very few can claim.. Not finishing Miller.. that was rough.. I would like to see that fight today..