Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Kurt Pellegrino opts not to renew UFC contract, stepping away from competition

From MMATorch.com:

Quote:

After 12 fights inside of the UFC's Octagon, lightweight Kurt "Batman" Pellegrino is calling it quits.

At least for now.

Pellegrino took to his official website at KurtPellegrino.com on Tuesday morning to announce that he will be stepping away from active fighting for awhile, and has chosen not to renew his contract with the UFC.

"At this time I am choosing to take some time off and step away from the sport as a fighter," Pellegrino wrote. "Over my most recent fights I have come to the realization that at this point I no longer can, nor want to make fighting my first priority."

"I have spoken at length with Joe Silva about my decision and have decided not to renew my contract with the UFC. I want to take the time to regroup, refocus, and rethink what it is that I want to do going forward. I want to do things that I enjoy right now and refresh my mind."

Most importantly Pellegrino wants to focus on spending time with his family, which includes a four-year-old daughter and a newborn son. As well he's hoping to make improvements to his overall game, mainly his BJJ and his boxing, as well as refocusing his efforts on his training academy and his students. Along with seminars and other business opportunities, his attention is being pulled in other directions at this stage.

Pellegrino has been a staple of the UFC's lightweight roster since 2006, posting a 7-5 mark in his time with the organization. He suffered losses in his last two fights in the organization, both of them tough decision losses to George Sotiropoulos and Gleison Tibau, but prior to that he had posted four straight wins.

He's not set on this being the end, and wants to see if he'll get the "itch" to fight again while taking this time off, but regardless he says he's proud of all he's accomplished in the past 11 years.

"It is bitter sweet to possibly end my career on a loss and something I will have to deal with on my own, but overall it has been a rewarding 11 years for me and I want the end to be on my terms and no one else's," he said. "It's hard to make a decision like this, but I feel its best for me to step away for now and time will tell what the future will bring for me. I don't want to retire, but I need to find myself and find my love for this sport again.

"Hopefully you will see me in the cage again, but if not thanks to everyone for the memories, its been an awesome ride."

Link to Pellegrino's Full Blog

Penick's Analysis: Good for Pellegrino that he's going out on his own terms here for now, but I'd fully expect to see him make a return before too long. He's still only 32 years old, and despite tough decision losses to two very tough fighters in Sotiropoulos and Tibau, Pellegrino's still got a lot to offer in the lightweight division. He may not have ever been a title challenger, but he was always a very solid mid-to-top-tier fighter and a definite challenge to anyone the UFC put him against. I hope this isn't the end for him, and I'd expect it won't be, but it's admirable for him to take some time away for himself and his family at this point. He's young enough to take a break and still be able to make a comeback, so I hope that's how this shakes out. If not, it's still been a fun ride, and we've enjoyed watching you, Kurt.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

I talked with him in Charlotte.. really nice guy.. always been a fan. I mean his nickname is "Batman".. what's not to like??

If he comes back.. I will be there to watch.. but it is kinda cool to "go out on his own".

Good Luck Kurt! Thanks for the fights!!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:00 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Sounds like he's smart and wants to make some easy money,spend time with his familiy and increase his skill leval without the stress of active fighting! I would think the time off would help him have more time to work on the skill's he thinks he needs to improve.