Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-29-2011, 05:27 PM
3dlee

Default UFC 130 a night of upsets? **SPOILERS**

Is it just me, or were quite a few of the winners last night deserving of the title "upset"? Mighty Mouse beating Torres (even tho it was barely), Brian Stann (who Im a HUGE fan of), I mean his win wasnt really an upset but the way he made Santiago look completely outclassed was a surprise. And I'd have to stay upset of the night would go to Rick Story. He had a pretty big jump up in competition and handled Alves with relative ease. Thoughts?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:56 PM

Another two rounds and I think Alves would of beat Story. He done a marvellous job though and won the first two to give him credit.

Agree on your other points though.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post
Another two rounds and I think Alves would of beat Story. He done a marvellous job though and won the first two to give him credit.

Well, maybe, but Rick was training for a 3 round fight. That'd be like having a baseball team lose 5-4 & then saying "well, if we had 3 more innings, we would have beat them!" The only way we'll know if Thiago would have been able to win in a 5 round fight is if they had actually gone that long.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

LOL, "A night of upsets?" The heading itself was a spoiler.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Well, maybe, but Rick was training for a 3 round fight. That'd be like having a baseball team lose 5-4 & then saying "well, if we had 3 more innings, we would have beat them!" The only way we'll know if Thiago would have been able to win in a 5 round fight is if they had actually gone that long.
I didn't understand why Rick's coach told him after the 1st round that bit about "we're not going to finish him in the 2nd....in the 3rd"--why not finish him earlier if you have the chance? I agree, we don't know if Alves would have won with another two rounds, but I was really concerned by the start of the 3rd round when Rick looked like he was getting tired and Alves looked more energetic. I'm just glad Rick won!

Btw, hasn't Matt said before that he trains like he's going to be fighting five rounds all the time...that's how all of them should train. IMO
Old 05-29-2011, 09:02 PM

Agreed but it was just intrigueing ..... Story won the first two rounds so convincingly and controlled the fight so much so its real interesting to see the shift in the 3rd round.

To see that reverse of fortunes has to be commented on when it is so apparent. The result is not in question as Story won the first two but just interesting is all.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:21 AM
3dlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
LOL, "A night of upsets?" The heading itself was a spoiler.
Lol sorry I didnt think about it like that. Especially with Hamill still getting tooled as everyone expected lol.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:05 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I'm disappointed that Roy Nelson lost!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:26 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
I'm disappointed that Roy Nelson lost!
Me too. He just did not show up ready to fight. Mir is half the fighter JDS and Roy took it to him. He just seemed off his came and more about turtling than fighting.