Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 05-29-2011, 04:04 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default $50 Fine for Texting While Walking

This is actually a pretty good idea imo!

More links inside of the article if you click the link below.

http://money.msn.com/auto-insurance/...abc2&GT1=33033
Quote:
$50 fine: Texting while walking

Small town in Idaho says if you text while crossing a street, you'll pay a fine.
By doubleace on Fri, May 27, 2011 12:25 PM

This post comes from Lynn Mucken at MSN Money.

Laws that forbid texting while driving are as common as a on your cellphone, but Rexburg, a small college town in southeastern Idaho, may be the first place to also ban texting while walking.

Officially, only texting while crossing a street is illegal. Which raises a question: If you are so engrossed in texting that you fail to notice that a bright-red 4,000-pound pickup is bearing down on you at 35 mph, how likely is it that you would realize you have left the sidewalk and entered the street?

OK, the real question is whether such a law is even needed. According to reports, there have been no accidents, just a few "close calls," in Rexburg, mostly near the campus of Brigham Young University-Idaho.

While there is no data available on the dangers of texting while walking, a 2010 study by the Highway Loss Data Institute showed that texting-while-drivin​g bans actually appear to increase the number of crashes.

"Texting bans haven't reduced crashes at all," Adrian Lund, president of the HLDI and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, said in a news release. "In a perverse twist, crashes increased in three of the four states we studied after bans were enacted. Post continues after video.

"If drivers were disregarding the bans, then the crash patterns should have remained steady," Lund said. "So clearly, drivers did respond to the bans somehow, and what they might have been doing was moving their phones down and out of sight when they texted, in recognition that what they were doing was illegal. This could exacerbate the risk of texting by taking drivers' eyes further from the road and for a longer time."

The idea behind the Rexburg law is not to punish those who are texting -- although there is a $50 fine for the first offense and $150 for subsequent violations -- but to enhance safety in the community, said those in favor of the ban. "If we can prevent someone from being killed, that's the intent," City Councilman Brad Egbert said.

However, Rexburg Standard Journal editorial writer Robert Patten saw the ban as a town vs. gown issue. BYU in Rexburg has 15,000 students, and 57% of the residents of the town of 27,000 are between 18 and 14 years old.

"We are especially worried that this may be a way for the city to target students," Patten wrote. " this could become a way to bleed more money out of a part of the economy Rexburg depends on. Squeezing more out of students may be a good way to fill city coffers, but it's wrong."

Still, BYU-Idaho students seem to see no problem with the new law.

"I think it's a good rule so we don't get hit by cars," said Logan Limb.

"I totally agree; I have a lot of friends that when they text, they cannot think," said Holli Loar.

"That would be hard for me because I'm addicted to texting," said Catherine Hecht. "But I think it's a legit rule. I may have to change some habits, but it's a good thing."
Old 05-29-2011, 05:10 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I don't see where it's needed! Somebody could be standing still while texting and still get fined. They would then have no real recourse cause most times the cops word carries more credibility with most folks!
Old 05-29-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
I don't see where it's needed! Somebody could be standing still while texting and still get fined. They would then have no real recourse cause most times the cops word carries more credibility with most folks!
I think you overlooked the article. It says texting while walking across or on the street.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:28 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I think you overlooked the article. It says texting while walking across or on the street.
Hahaha, if they're standing still in the middle of the street, they may have more problems than the word of a cop!