Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-31-2011, 06:02 AM
gymcoach97

I like Demetrious Johnson, but Torres won the fight. He was clearly the more active fighter even if he was on his back. He went for more submissions and had Johnson playing defense from the top. The athletic commissions need to start educating the judges on the sport and that "octagon control" does not necessarily mean laying on top of another fighter. The guy on the bottom could very well be in control, too. That was the case with Torres tonight.

You have to feel back for Miguel because he deserved this one.

As for the Hamill fight - he didn't look in very good shape physically. To me, he looked "gassed" from the start of the fight. He looked very slow and sluggish. You have to wonder if he got sick or something. I think that Rampage came in with a fractured hand. I wonder if something was bothering Hamill, too?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymcoach97 View Post
I like Demetrious Johnson, but Torres won the fight. He was clearly the more active fighter even if he was on his back. He went for more submissions and had Johnson playing defense from the top. The athletic commissions need to start educating the judges on the sport and that "octagon control" does not necessarily mean laying on top of another fighter. The guy on the bottom could very well be in control, too. That was the case with Torres tonight.

You have to feel back for Miguel because he deserved this one.

As for the Hamill fight - he didn't look in very good shape physically. To me, he looked "gassed" from the start of the fight. He looked very slow and sluggish. You have to wonder if he got sick or something. I think that Rampage came in with a fractured hand. I wonder if something was bothering Hamill, too?
I agree that Torres won that fight.

[
Old 05-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
I agree that Torres won that fight.
I am agreeing with your agreement!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

gotta say that I think it was a REALLY bum decision in the Miguel Torres fight
Old 05-31-2011, 05:21 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Wow, really. You couldn't tell he was in any pain in his post-fight interview with Joe. Was Roy hurt?
No, he was sitting there in the post-fight presser just looking tired. There were surprisingly few injuries this time out: Mir with the rib (he's apparently tweeted that his jaw's OK), Rampage with his hand (fractured over Christmas & re-injured in training) & Brian Stann broke his thumb (blasted it on top of Jorge's head during the GnP in Rnd 1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Oh, wow, what an honor. That Brian Stann seems like a stand-up guy. Love that strong jawline/chin of his...reminds me of Matt's and Mark's.
I agree. It's like Chuck said: not only is he a great fighter, but everything that comes out of his mouth is solid gold. Did you see Marcus Lutrell was in the audience, also? What an amazing audience!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:34 PM
Miss Foxy

I heard Roy has pneumonia ...The fight between him and Mir was weird for me. I like both of them so I didn't care who won I wanted to be supportive of both.. Both good guys, but ultimately I think Mir needed the win more. I absolutely adore Mir's wife Jennifer she is so extremely nice.
I was upset that Hamill lost. He will be back though The other fights I did not even pay attention to. I was busy yacking...
Old 05-31-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
I think if you give a stronger point system to 'control' then Johnson wins, even though he didn't really do any damage, submissions or advancement of his position, the fact he was able to control top position is how he sqeaked ... the win.

Personally I had it 2 rounds to 1 for Torres, he seemed the more active on the ground then Johnson. He attacked, went for reversals and submissions, Johnson only hugged and held on for dear life. Great fight, but this is one of those types of fights that proves how 'ehhhh' scoring can be.
How can you say that?! As active as Torres was, Johnson had to be just as active. He definitely had his hands full with all the stuff Torres was throwing at him. I do agree with you, that him maintaining top position was what gave him the edge for the decision. Also, the judges might have given him "aggressor" points for taking Torres down.

I was impressed with both of them. One of my favorite fights of the night.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
No, he was sitting there in the post-fight presser just looking tired. There were surprisingly few injuries this time out: Mir with the rib (he's apparently tweeted that his jaw's OK), Rampage with his hand (fractured over Christmas & re-injured in training) & Brian Stann broke his thumb (blasted it on top of Jorge's head during the GnP in Rnd 1).

I agree. It's like Chuck said: not only is he a great fighter, but everything that comes out of his mouth is solid gold. Did you see Marcus Lutrell was in the audience, also? What an amazing audience!
I guess that was the first fight of the main card because I missed it so I missed seeing Marcus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
I heard Roy has pneumonia ...The fight between him and Mir was weird for me. I like both of them so I didn't care who won I wanted to be supportive of both.. Both good guys, but ultimately I think Mir needed the win more. I absolutely adore Mir's wife Jennifer she is so extremely nice.
I was upset that Hamill lost. He will be back though The other fights I did not even pay attention to. I was busy yacking...
Well, that would explain why he seemed to gas so quickly. Gee, I feel bad now for being so hard on him. I still think he needs to get his body in better shape, but I hope he feels better soon...pneumonia can take a while to get over.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:06 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

If true Pneumonia will take alot out of you! Last time the wife had it she couldn't hardly breath for nothing.