Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 05-27-2011, 12:48 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Default USDA fines family for selling Rabbits!

http://reason.com/blog/2011/05/25/us...y-90000-for-se
Reason Magazine•reason.org
•reason.com
•reason.tv
•donate
•••••
USDA Fines Family $90,000 For Selling Pet Rabbits
Peter Suderman | May 25, 2011

Want to sell a few furry pets to friends and family? Don't let the USDA find out. The Daily Caller reports:

John and Judy Dollarhite began selling rabbit meat by the pound in 2006, and as pets to neighbors and friends in 2008.

Raised on the three-acre lot on which their home sits, the rabbits were heralded by local experts for their quality and kept in pristine condition.

When a local pet store asked them to supply their pet rabbits, the Dollarhites had no idea they would be running afoul of an obscure federal regulation that prohibits selling more than $500 worth of rabbits to a pet store without a license from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). Under the law, pet stores are exempt from regulation.

But by selling to pet stores for resale, the humble Dollarhites became “wholesale breeders of pet animals,” said Dave Sacks, a spokesman for USDA who defended the fine, even while admitting it “looks curious” to the average person.

That’s especially so since the Dollarhites face no accusation they mistreated any animals. Instead, they committed what’s called in regulatory parlance a “paperwork violation” under the Animal Welfare Act, a 1966 law intended to prevent the abuse of animals.

The result? The family was slapped with a $90,643 fine, apparently part of a recently implemented stepped-up enforcement program that also includes going after magicians who use rabbits in their tricks. Yes, really: Government regulators are spending public money going after magic bunnies. This is why "bureaucrats" is a dirty word.

Reason needs your support. Please donate today!
more sharingStumbleUponDiggRedditTry Reason's award-winning print edition today! Your first issue is FREE if you are not completely satisfied.

← New at Reason: Gene Healy on… | Main | The Story of O →
Reason RUPE: Public Opinion SurveyPoll Shows Age Gap On Social Security Reform (5.25)Even Government Workers Support a Flat Tax (5.24)Differences of Opinion Over Private Sector, Government Worker Benefits (5.24)Half of Americans Say Government Workers Get Better Benefits Than Private Sector Workers (5.24)Obama Courts Old Republican Church Ladies (5.20)advertisements Reason on Facebook Reason on Twitter Reason on YouTube Reason RSS Get Reason E-mail Updates!First Name Last Name Email Manage your Reason e-mail list subscriptions Site comments/questions:Mike Alissi
Media Inquiries and Reprint Permissions:Chris Mitchell
(310) 367-6109
Editorial & Production Offices:3415 S. Sepulveda Blvd.
Suite 400
Los Angeles, CA 90034
(310) 391-2245

Home|About|Advertise|Privacy|Contact
Copyright 2011, Reason Magazine
Old 05-27-2011, 12:59 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Those people either knew what they were doing or they are really dumb. It doesn't say how many rabbits were sold but the fine seems rather steep though.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:05 PM
rearnakedchoke

they'll probably get nailed next by the IRS once they find out they weren't paying enough taxes from the rabbit procedes ......
Old 05-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Miss Foxy

Along with mayonnaise, cats, and snakes.. I have a fear of rabbits.. I don't like em..
Old 05-27-2011, 03:44 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Along with mayonnaise, cats, and snakes.. I have a fear of rabbits.. I don't like em..
LOL at mayo .. wonder what the medical term for that is mayophobia? lol
Old 05-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
LOL at mayo .. wonder what the medical term for that is mayophobia? lol
Mayoitis I wish I were kidding, but I am not. It's so bad when I go to subway those knives they use I make them get a clean and new one for fear mayo will be on it. I literally get sweaty and anxious.. Since I was little my mother said I would freak out over seeing mayo/miracle whip..
Old 05-28-2011, 04:56 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I don't think you should have to have a licence to raise and sell Rabbits and such! Now if you starve them or truly mistreat them it would be all right to confiscate and fine you after due process of law!