Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 06-01-2011, 02:59 AM
suntereo

this is from the gym's newsletter about Alisha (my wife)

12 WEEKS
56 POUNDS LESS
Mother of 5 kids, loving wife, business owner, was motivated to join Urban Fitness January 2011.With the support of her husband and family jump started her transformation with trainer

Juliana Uluave-Gould.

"What I enjoyed about training Alisha was her work ethic, drive and heart. The little extras added towards her small goals. Every challenge I gave Alisha, she gave full effort. It was every week we expected change on the scale or looseness in clothes. Once the challenge started her motivation and built momentum. I knew she was on the right track! The Urban Fitness Challenge was just a milestone in Alisha's journey. The process continues on and has become a lifestyle in many ways."
Old 06-01-2011, 03:06 AM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntereo View Post
after number 5 my wife thru down the "either the doctor cuts it or i will" so no danger of more kids..... allthough the chances of getting pregnant are 1/2000 and I'm more than willing to do my part in defying the odds
You wife sounds very practical! And feisty! I love it!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:23 PM
suntereo

one of the exercises we are doing was quite a challenge and my shoulders are really feeling it today.

it was a push-up. with one hand i balanced myself with the handle portion of a kettle bell on the ground, palming the round portion. At the apex of the push up we rotate and place the free hand on my chest..... easy enough.

inverted kettlebell pushup with row is what the experts call it.

Last edited by suntereo; 06-01-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:00 PM
suntereo

an article my wife wrote for a fitness magazine / newsletter

Every year for the last 10 years I have always had the same New Years Resolution, to lose weight and get healthy. But, year after year I put on more and more weight. This year I was either going to make a change or just give up. With the support of my wonderful husband Bodi and an amazing friend Sara, On January 1st 2011 I walked into Urban Fitnees in Mount Vernon. Wa. and bought a one year membership and got a personal trainer. The next week I met with my personal trainer, Juliana Uluave Gould. My first appointment was very tough not because of any workout but because of the physical assesment. I could not believe at 5'7'' that I weighed 240 lbs and was over 25% body fat. Juliana was very motivating telling me that "we all need a starting point" and so my journey began.......

The first few weeks were hard I was sore and feeling very tired. If it had not been for Juliana's belief in me I would have given up! with her support by February I had lost about 15 pounds, not bad for 4 weeks! Juliana mentioned the Urban Fitness Weight Loss Challenge and encouraged me to enter. I have always been very competitive and thought this is just what I needed to motivate me!

During the Challenge I went to the gym everyday for about two hours and met with Juliana twice a week. I quickly realised how great I was feeling and loved going to the gym! At the half way point in the Challenge I was in second place and for me that was a great place to be as I love being the underdog! So I decided to up my game! Juliana and I started meeting three times a week and I was going to the gym twice a day. I followed the diet she gave me perfectly with a cheat day here and there.

Then with just a few weeks left in the Challenge I started to have a few setbacks. My left leg was hurting everytime I did any kind of high impact cardio. Juliana being the amazing trainer that she is changed my cardio in order to work around my injury. So the stationary bike became my best friend! Discourgement also became an issue. "When you live so long thinking you are unable to do something it is hard to change that way of thinking". During this time I started focusing on the scripture "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength". This has been a verse I have known for a long time but I was during the Challenge that I realised it says "I". This requires me to put forth the effort and it is God's job to provide the strength and endurance to finish strong. Now when I do cardio I spend the last minute going as fast as I can or during weight training I do an extra rep or two, so I know I have given 110% everytime and finished strong!

At the finale I knew it was neck and neck between me and another gal. I had seen her at the gym everyday working as hard as I was! In the end I was victorious winning my category. Losing 40 pounds in 60 days, 18.3% of my body weight.

As of today I have lost a little over 60 pounds my body fat is down to 13.1%. Just 5 months ago I was wearing size 16 pants and just the other day I bought my first pair of size 8! I have so much energy now and wake up everyday ready to conquer the world!

I would like to thank Sham and Cindy the owners of Urban Fitness for giving me the opportunity to change my life. Also, thank you to all the trainers and staff at the gym who always show by example because "they don't talk it, thay walk it"! To my wonderful husband Bodi, thank You for always seeing the beauty in me, without you I would be nothing and last but not ever least, Juliana I can not express how greatful I am to you for everything! You never let me give up always believing in me and show me everyday how strong and beautiful I am!

Alisha Orton

Old 07-13-2011, 03:28 AM
suntereo

well i havent been to good about the promised updates but to be honest it's been tough going the last month or so and i just havent felt like it. today however felt like turning the corner a bit. the biggest challenge has been muscle endurance. i'm plenty strong and my cardio moved along pretty quick but we were hitting a wall at about 30-40 minutes in where i would feel very sick and my muscles would no longer respond. recovery was non-existant and it was as if someone was litteraly pulling the plug out of my muscles.

my trainer had me log my foods for a couple of weeks and was confident he could solve the problem with diet... i thought he was a retard and wasting my money. his assesment after the two weeks was that my overall calorie intake was about half of what my body required and that the ratio between carbs, fat and proteins was off. in addition my sodium intake was thru the roof and my water consumption was keeping me borderline dehydrated. mind you that this was while i was "eating healthy" on my own and "drinking plenty of fluids".

my opinion of his competancy was still low but since he already cashed my check i did my best to stick to his diet for the last few weeks. he has me eating more carbs than i ever have but despite my fears, i havent turned into a bagel yet and the results are absolutely stunning. today was a very intense workout for about 90 min. other than two 5min breaks it was pretty much back to back circuit training with alot of movements to test the muscle endurance. the most amazing part is the recovery! for example we did 2min sets of pushups where i would reach muscle failure then rest in the up position for a few seconds and then have the strength to do a few more, keeeping this up thru the entire 2 minutes for several goes.

anyhow my spirits are up and i am very curious to see how the body performs thursday at greco practice.

later - bodi.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:55 PM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
an article my wife wrote for a fitness magazine / newsletter

Every year for the last 10 years I have always had the same New Years Resolution, to lose weight and get healthy. But, year after year I put on more and more weight. This year I was either going to make a change or just give up. With the support of my wonderful husband Bodi and an amazing friend Sara, On January 1st 2011 I walked into Urban Fitnees in Mount Vernon. Wa. and bought a one year membership and got a personal trainer. The next week I met with my personal trainer, Juliana Uluave Gould. My first appointment was very tough not because of any workout but because of the physical assesment. I could not believe at 5'7'' that I weighed 240 lbs and was over 25% body fat. Juliana was very motivating telling me that "we all need a starting point" and so my journey began.......

The first few weeks were hard I was sore and feeling very tired. If it had not been for Juliana's belief in me I would have given up! with her support by February I had lost about 15 pounds, not bad for 4 weeks! Juliana mentioned the Urban Fitness Weight Loss Challenge and encouraged me to enter. I have always been very competitive and thought this is just what I needed to motivate me!

During the Challenge I went to the gym everyday for about two hours and met with Juliana twice a week. I quickly realised how great I was feeling and loved going to the gym! At the half way point in the Challenge I was in second place and for me that was a great place to be as I love being the underdog! So I decided to up my game! Juliana and I started meeting three times a week and I was going to the gym twice a day. I followed the diet she gave me perfectly with a cheat day here and there.

Then with just a few weeks left in the Challenge I started to have a few setbacks. My left leg was hurting everytime I did any kind of high impact cardio. Juliana being the amazing trainer that she is changed my cardio in order to work around my injury. So the stationary bike became my best friend! Discourgement also became an issue. "When you live so long thinking you are unable to do something it is hard to change that way of thinking". During this time I started focusing on the scripture "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength". This has been a verse I have known for a long time but I was during the Challenge that I realised it says "I". This requires me to put forth the effort and it is God's job to provide the strength and endurance to finish strong. Now when I do cardio I spend the last minute going as fast as I can or during weight training I do an extra rep or two, so I know I have given 110% everytime and finished strong!

At the finale I knew it was neck and neck between me and another gal. I had seen her at the gym everyday working as hard as I was! In the end I was victorious winning my category. Losing 40 pounds in 60 days, 18.3% of my body weight.

As of today I have lost a little over 60 pounds my body fat is down to 13.1%. Just 5 months ago I was wearing size 16 pants and just the other day I bought my first pair of size 8! I have so much energy now and wake up everyday ready to conquer the world!

I would like to thank Sham and Cindy the owners of Urban Fitness for giving me the opportunity to change my life. Also, thank you to all the trainers and staff at the gym who always show by example because "they don't talk it, thay walk it"! To my wonderful husband Bodi, thank You for always seeing the beauty in me, without you I would be nothing and last but not ever least, Juliana I can not express how greatful I am to you for everything! You never let me give up always believing in me and show me everyday how strong and beautiful I am!

Alisha Orton

Wow! Great article and awesome success story!!!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 04:21 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
well i havent been to good about the promised updates but to be honest it's been tough going the last month or so and i just havent felt like it. today however felt like turning the corner a bit. the biggest challenge has been muscle endurance. i'm plenty strong and my cardio moved along pretty quick but we were hitting a wall at about 30-40 minutes in where i would feel very sick and my muscles would no longer respond. recovery was non-existant and it was as if someone was litteraly pulling the plug out of my muscles.

my trainer had me log my foods for a couple of weeks and was confident he could solve the problem with diet... i thought he was a retard and wasting my money. his assesment after the two weeks was that my overall calorie intake was about half of what my body required and that the ratio between carbs, fat and proteins was off. in addition my sodium intake was thru the roof and my water consumption was keeping me borderline dehydrated. mind you that this was while i was "eating healthy" on my own and "drinking plenty of fluids".

my opinion of his competancy was still low but since he already cashed my check i did my best to stick to his diet for the last few weeks. he has me eating more carbs than i ever have but despite my fears, i havent turned into a bagel yet and the results are absolutely stunning. today was a very intense workout for about 90 min. other than two 5min breaks it was pretty much back to back circuit training with alot of movements to test the muscle endurance. the most amazing part is the recovery! for example we did 2min sets of pushups where i would reach muscle failure then rest in the up position for a few seconds and then have the strength to do a few more, keeeping this up thru the entire 2 minutes for several goes.

anyhow my spirits are up and i am very curious to see how the body performs thursday at greco practice.

later - bodi.
Nice. I need that diet. My recovery time sucks, too.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:54 PM
suntereo

moral of the story is we are all different and a personal trainer is a great way to find what works best for you.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:27 PM
suntereo

the scale said 188lbss today. my weight goal is 185lbs + -3lbs so a goal has been reached. This feels great and removes a lot of pressure which hopefully we allow me to commit to my strength training more without the concern of blowing my weight goals. i wrestled on thursday and the conditioning was fine but my technique was horible. if its not one thing its another?
Old 08-03-2011, 05:36 AM
suntereo

hit 185lbs today!

worked hard and felt good.

started implementing "zone training"?
get on a bike and maintained 85 - 95rpm, while using the resistance to keep heart rate at 160 for 20 minutes. goal is to get resistance up to 8 and then maintain that while bringing heart rate down to sub 150. We finish off with a sprint to get hr to 185 then time recovery to 135. right now it's about 2 min so we have a lot of work to do there.

now that weight goal is met we will be adding some muscle and improving cardio. I will switch to just wrestling practice in oct and then going low impact and utilizing cardio to heal up/stay in shape 2 or 3 days a week a couple weeks out from the first tournament.