Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 05-20-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default Online Used Auto Parts Retailers/Junk Yards

So I got back from the Nissan dealer this morning after running the diagnostic for the "service engine soon" light. Turns out that I need 2 catalytic converters - estimate - $3200!!! Does anybody know any good online retailers for aftermarket parts or good online junk yard parts?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:46 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
So I got back from the Nissan dealer this morning after running the diagnostic for the "service engine soon" light. Turns out that I need 2 catalytic converters - estimate - $3200!!! Does anybody know any good online retailers for aftermarket parts or good online junk yard parts?
Be weary of what a dealership says needs to be done. I've had one give me a two page report of stuff I needed done at half the value of my car and turned out all I needed was a o2 sensor.

My sister bought a rebuilt transmission for her Durango from http://www.newdixieusedautoparts.com/ but she actually drove there and picked it up so her husband had a chance to look it over first. He truck ran fine until she wrecked it.

You can also always try ebay since they have seller ratings.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:01 PM
atomdanger

Honestly I bought my own plug in diagnostic tool for 99 bucks from Costco,
and it works PERFECT.

Also, if you don't have emissions testing where you live,
I would just cut the catalytic converter off, and run a piece of straight pipe.
All that does is reduce emissions, (You can tell I am an environmentalist )
But if you're stuck with emissions testing,
http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepa...nverter/NISSAN

You should be able to get them for well under 3 or 4 hundred and have any mechanic or muffler shop put them in for 100.
Or less.

I cut mine off with a sawzall and bought the pipe to replace that stretch of exhaust, my local muffler shop put the pipe in for 20 bucks.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:03 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
Be weary of what a dealership says needs to be done. I've had one give me a two page report of stuff I needed done at half the value of my car and turned out all I needed was a o2 sensor.

My sister bought a rebuilt transmission for her Durango from http://www.newdixieusedautoparts.com/ but she actually drove there and picked it up so her husband had a chance to look it over first. He truck ran fine until she wrecked it.

You can also always try ebay since they have seller ratings.
Its true, I drive a VW and VW dealerships are sort of FAMOUS for this.
I had a small tranny fluid leak, and they gave me a 3K bill to replace the tranny all together, I took the pan off, did a flush and replaced the seal for under 100 dollars and I haven't had a transmission problem since.