Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 03-04-2011, 05:43 PM
County Mike

Default Bench Press your body weight

In the gym I attend, we've been having some bench press challenges. The first one to come up was "How many times can you bench press 100lbs?". We called it the 100/100 challenge because the goal was to get 100 reps. I got to 91 yesterday. That's my personal best.

Then we added the NFL Combine challenge. 225lbs. I tried that last Monday and got 15 reps. I'll try to beat that this Monday.

Today, I competed in the "How many times can you bench press your own body weight?". Some of the smaller guys came up with this one as an answer to our 225 challenge. They want to make it "fair". Two of the 165lb guys managed to get 20 and 25 reps. Today, I did my body weight (195lbs) and got 29 reps.

Screw those little guys!

I'm curious how many other people on here can get.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:54 PM
logrus

I did 225 for 13 last week, I only did that many because my buddy managed to get 12. I possibly could have gotten a few more but I was kinda scared. My work sets usually avg around 250-275 5-9 reps.

I really do not go heavy anymore or go to high on my reps due to some weird shoulder injury. If its bothering me or I get the slightest fatique feeling I pretty much end it right there, mainly its on inclines.

Nice numbers, but I have to admit those pictures make you look heavier, I would have guessed 205 walk around weight,
Old 03-04-2011, 05:57 PM
County Mike

I'm with you when it comes to avoiding the bench. I usually don't bench at all. I just use dumbells because barbell BP hurts my left shoulder. I don't even know what my max 1 rep is. We did Close Grip today with 245. I only got 3 though. I got 9 with 225 but at 245, too much pain to push it.

In my avatar, I was about 185. I worked on bulking this winter so I'm at my heaviest right now. I'm only 5'10".
Old 03-04-2011, 06:22 PM
rearnakedchoke

i have never gone over 225 ... don't know why ... i have been doing it for 3x10 since grade 12 (15 years ish) ... but i have never tried a one rep max ... i do 225 for 3 x 15 or 20 now but never went higher .. now i just like do that, flys with 50's, pushups and cable crossovers.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:24 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i have never gone over 225 ... don't know why ... i have been doing it for 3x10 since grade 12 (15 years ish) ... but i have never tried a one rep max ... i do 225 for 3 x 15 or 20 now but never went higher .. now i just like do that, flys with 50's, pushups and cable crossovers.
You're probably better off. Benching heavy just tears up the shoulders. At least, it does in a lot of people.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Chris F

When I was pro wrestling I could do my body wight a few times 235lbs but now i doubt I could half my weight (240) I tried to do 100 the other day and about killed myself. I got sever arthritis and lifting is horrid
Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
You're probably better off. Benching heavy just tears up the shoulders. At least, it does in a lot of people.
so i;ve heard .. just got back from the gym (nice having a gym at work) and did 275 for 7 than 4 ... without a spot ... felt good, but i think i'll stick with the 225 and maybe go heavier for one set once in a blue moon ...
Old 03-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

I can bench the bar.

Honestly, I have not tried benching since HS. I hated it then and promised myself I would never do it again after graduation.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 03-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Dethbob

I don’t like to bench at home because my boys will find me wherever I am and try to get in on whatever I’m doing, and I’m worried about the weight falling on one of them. Also I don’t have a spotter, so if I lift to fatigue the bar settles on my neck.

A while ago I weighed myself, then weighted my hands in pushup position and the difference was about sixty pounds. ‘Lightbulb’, they have sixty pound bags of masonry sand at Home Depot!

After I read this thread last week I decided to go for it. On the way home I grabbed a bag of sand and a roll of duct tape. Making sure to leave a little room in the bag, I used up the whole roll, overlapping the wraps and wrapping in two directions. After seven dollars and twenty minutes I had a soft sixty pound weight I could drape across my shoulders and do ‘own weight’ equivalent pushups!

Playing around with it this weekend I found a bunch of stuff I can do with it, like kettle swings and rifle presses, I can hold it with my knees and do weighted pull-ups and dips, really versatile and fun.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

[quote] The Govenator Voice

"I pick stuff up and put it down."