Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Miss Foxy

Default Chael news

One-time UFC middleweight title contender Chael Sonnen will not be competing in the octagon anytime soon.

The California State Athletic Commission today ruled to uphold Sonnen’s indefinite suspension, citing both a recent federal money-laundering conviction, as well as some questionable testimony following a positive result in a post-UFC 117 drug screen.

The CSAC made their ruling during today’s special meeting, which took place at the Ronald Reagan State Office Building in Los Angeles. The motion passed with a vote of 4-1.

Sonnen can not reapply for a license before June 29, 2012. Should he elect to do so, he’ll have to once again appear before the CSAC.

Following the ruling, Sonnen a request for comment by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

During today’s testimony, Sonnen revealed the UFC was targeting him as a potential coach on the soon-to-film 14th season of “The Ultimate Fighter.” Sonnen said the UFC planned to pit him against outspoken British striker Michael Bisping, and the two would meet in a No. 1 contender matchup at the end of the season.

Today’s ruling likely nixes that option, as the Nevada State Athletic Commission – which holds jurisdiction over the participants in “TUF,” which films in Las Vegas – generally upholds the rulings of other prominent commissions. Sonnen suggested during testimony that a failure to secure a license at today’s hearing would likely lead to his retirement.

This past December, Sonnen was suspended six months and fined $2,500 by the CSAC for elevated levels of testosterone following his near-upset of UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. The term marked a reduced sentence from the one-year term he originally received.

In January, the CSAC suspended Sonnen’s license indefinitely for his conviction on a federal charge of money laundering, as well as “providing false testimony” during an appeal hearing held this past December.

Sonnen was due to appear in April before the Nevada State Athletic Commission about the possibility of receiving a fight license. Sonnen was expected to answer questions about statements he’d made during the CSAC hearing – namely, whether he’d gotten approval for his use of prescribed testosterone prior to his fight with Nate Marquardt at UFC 109, which took place in Nevada.

NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer claimed Sonnen had not been truthful in telling the CSAC that he had received approval from the Nevada commission prior to testing positive for elevated levels of testosterone following his title fight with Anderson Silva at UFC 117.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...pension_051811
Old 05-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Miss Foxy

I am so flamed up right now. Truly I am. I think after the anger I will be sad. This just sucks.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:11 PM

I hope Keith Kizer and his Commission get Genital Herpes
Old 05-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Miss Foxy

... gutted for chael sonnen, people make mistakes. He paid his dues and should be allowed to continue with his career. Real shame for the guy. I did wanna fight him, as it would of been awesome, and a no1 contender matchup, but my own personal wants aside, I do truly feel for the guy ...

Tweet from Michael Bisping. Class act on his part I am glad someone is sticking up for Chael..
Old 05-18-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
... gutted for chael sonnen, people make mistakes. He paid his dues and should be allowed to continue with his career. Real shame for the guy. I did wanna fight him, as it would of been awesome, and a no1 contender matchup, but my own personal wants aside, I do truly feel for the guy ...

Tweet from Michael Bisping. Class act on his part I am glad someone is sticking up for Chael..
I agree Michael is a cool guy but since he is British people hate on him.

This sucks I hope he comes back next year.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:21 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
I agree Michael is a cool guy but since he is British people hate on him.

This sucks I hope he comes back next year.
he's probably just upset that he won't be getting that TUF money again ... LOL
Old 05-18-2011, 11:53 PM
que

sounds good to me

for a thief, liar, cheater, money launderer, classless, no respect person

the problem is that he never learns from his mistakes. there is a pattern, and it just never stops. it. just. never. stops.

that kind of person should be eliminated from the sport

good job CSAC
Old 05-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
sounds good to me

for a thief, liar, cheater, money launderer, classless, no respect person

the problem is that he never learns from his mistakes. there is a pattern, and it just never stops. it. just. never. stops.

that kind of person should be eliminated from the sport

good job CSAC
Wrong. The problem is the CSAC
has no jurisdiction or right to pass punishment on charges he has already faced and accounted for (laundering)... This would be for the elevated testosterone levels one would think and he's already paid enough.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:03 AM
que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Wrong. The problem is the CSAC

Wrong. The problem is Fail Sonnen.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:07 AM

If he's already getting his punishment from the courts for the moneylaundering and they already suspended him previously for the testosterone, why is the California commission doing this? Sounds like maybe it's become a "personal" grudge against him and they're using their power to stick it to him.

Where's JB? I'd like his take on this...