Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 05-18-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default 13-Year Old Interrogated by the Secret Service over a FB Post

Can't say the Secret Service wasn't doing their job in this case. A 13-year old child (which could be a fake FB page) is fully capable of an assassination.

There's a video if you scroll to the center of the page.

http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2...post?GT1=43001
Quote:
Secret Service interrogates 13-year-old over Facebook post

A screengrab of Vito Lapinta Jr.'s Facebook page

By Athima Chansanchai

When Timi Robertson found out her middle-schooler son was being questioned by the Secret Service and the police at his Tacoma, Wa. school, she says she "just about lost it," especially after they told her it was over a Facebook post the boy had written warning President Barack Obama of suicide attacks in the wake of Osama bin Laden's death.

"My 13-year-old son, who's a minor, who's supposed to be safe and secure in his classroom at school, is being interrogated without my knowledge or consent by the Secret Service," Robertson told Q13 Fox News reporter Dana Rebik. She only got wind of the interrogation because a school security guard tipped her off and arrived a half-hour after the agent had already begun questioning her son. Tacoma police were also present.

The school said they began without her because she didn't take their call seriously, which Robertson called a "blatant lie."

By the end of the interview, which occurred May 13, the agent told the boy he was free to go and wasn't in trouble.

Her son, seventh-grader Vito Lapinta Jr., told the reporter he was "very scared" and that he's more careful about what he writes on the site. But his mother stands by her son and thinks the issue is how Truman Middle School and the Secret Service "handled it, because he's still a child," which you can hear her say in this video:

http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2...post?GT1=43001 (scroll to center of page)

Vito had posted a status update on Facebook a week earlier that highlighted his concern for the president of retaliation for the orchestrated killing of bin Laden. Then a week later, he gets called into the principal's office, where a man who identified himself as a Secret Service agent told him that the post was considered a threat to Obama.

Goes to show, if you think someone's reading your tweets and Facebook posts, you're probably right.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Miss Foxy

These kids shouldn't even be on FB or other dumb sites. They outta be doing homework and playing spin the bottle!! lol..
Wow kid must have been scared! Men in black like Neezar posted!!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Vito had posted a status update on Facebook a week earlier that highlighted his concern for the president of retaliation for the orchestrated killing of bin Laden.
When I heard this story last night I was flabbergasted! First, I wouldn't construe this as a threat to POTUS and I think it is a jack-booted, thuggish overreaction by the Secret Service, particularly interviewing a minor without the presence or permission of a parent.

I know they have to be careful and follow through on any threats to the president. But this seems ridiculous. Add groin-groping of infants by our TSA and I'm beginning to wonder WTH is happening to this country (and bravo to Texas for passing legislation to ban that kind of screening).
Old 05-18-2011, 09:48 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
These kids shouldn't even be on FB or other dumb sites. They outta be doing homework and playing spin the bottle!! lol..
Wow kid must have been scared! Men in black like Neezar posted!!
exactly!!!! Aren't you supposed to have to be 16 to get a facebook? I know anyone can lie about it because my nephew, who is 11, did and I was very upset that his parents let him. I have gotten freidn request from my son's 9 and 10 year old friends. No way would I allow my child to have a facebook. It is dangerous and they don't know how tro excercise the control needed to keep themselves safe.

1.) I thought it was illegal to question a minor without consent or the parent present.
2.) I do understand that they have to check into every threat reported.
3.) Does anyone else find it odd that will the normal silly post by kids this age this 13 year old is posting about suicide bombers?
Old 05-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Can't say the Secret Service wasn't doing their job in this case. A 13-year old child (which could be a fake FB page) is fully capable of an assassination.

There's a video if you scroll to the center of the page.

http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2...post?GT1=43001
Truman??? That's a shock! I thought it would have been Jason Lee for sure!

I have no problem with what the Secret Service did and wouldn't feel different if that were my kid. It sounds like the S.S called him into the office, asked him a few questions then told him to be careful in the future. What's the big deal? They didn't take him to the Police station and use lamps or water boarding for goodness sake.

I'm probably missing something though.... since we'd never sensationalize anything around here.

What's with all the anti law enforcement sentiment around here recently?
Old 05-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Truman??? That's a shock! I thought it would have been Jason Lee for sure!

I have no problem with what the Secret Service did and wouldn't feel different if that were my kid. It sounds like the S.S called him into the office, asked him a few questions then told him to be careful in the future. What's the big deal? They didn't take him to the Police station and use lamps or water boarding for goodness sake.

I'm probably missing something though.... since we'd never sensationalize anything around here.

What's with all the anti law enforcement sentiment around here recently?
Always playing Devils Advocate Chuck..
Old 05-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
It sounds like the S.S
I agree 100%.

Anyways, there's more wrong with this picture than just overreaction from the Secret Service. Facebook needs to enforce their own policies, if you must be 16 to have a Facebook page, and the parents need to keep up with EVERYTHING their child does and says on Facebook (but they are obviously negligent since they let their underage kid have a Facebook to start with).
Old 05-19-2011, 12:02 AM
que

in a society full of crazy people like us.... the secret service has gotta be extra careful out there. never know when one of those kids is gonna be the shooter you see on the 10 o clock news.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
in a society full of crazy people like us.... the secret service has gotta be extra careful out there. never know when one of those kids is gonna be the shooter you see on the 10 o clock news.
Maybe crazy people like you.

Regardless, the SS should have talked to the child's parents first. They should have no right to directly question a minor without parental consent.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:41 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Always playing Devils Advocate Chuck..
I'm not actually.

I'm pretty consistent in my views on here I think. They may not be popular with some... but I think they're consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I agree 100%.
LOL... that was pretty funny actually!