Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
Yes, I have taken Karate and kickboxing. Doesn't guarantee you won't end up on the ground, especially if attacked by surprise. I'm not saying it won't help. I'm just refuting your argument about BJJ not applying to ANY real life situations.

well, NOTHING guarantees anything in a street fight situation.

BJJ doesn't have striking, so even a BJJ black belt doesn't guarantee when we're on the ground and you catch on punch bare knuckle to the face you aren't going to freeze up and get hurt anyway.

I think BJJ has applications in the real world, heck I am a BJJ guy now,
but I think any sort of standing combat training has much more use in the real world.

I guess the best idea is to be well versed on the ground and the feet
Old 03-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Crisco

The best thing to train is MMA period.

I think the two best skills to have in a street situation are some form of boxing and straight up JUDO.

If a guy tries to grab you or you can get a hold of him JUDO is the ****. Dump that dude right on his back and he won't get up especially on the concrete.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Miss Foxy

I think with street fights most of the population don't know how to properly throw a punch. Thats the good thing that my children know already how to properly block they're faces, how to throw a jab, cross, hook. Take me for example I know how to box, but if I were to land on the floor I would not have the necessary skills to get myself outta that dangerous situation unless it was just a wild fight and I started going haywire, but that doesnt mean the outcome would work in my favor. I think I would be in trouble, because after they finish they usually kick you in the head so I have seen.....
Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Wrestling would be another excellent way to start him out. That's how Matt started and it seems to have worked out pretty well for him.
And conversely I don't wrestle and I always seem to be a great disadvantage when I spar. Either put him in wrestling or have him work on subs from his back.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:44 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Villaseņor
I can't stand De La Hoya babe....lol....I was embarrassed for him he looked like a sissy!! He has just been awful time for retirement! For reals..
As for my daughter yeah she's her daddys girl.. Loves riding her quad, watching boxing/mma, and Jean-Claude Van Damm movies! haha!! Bad drawback is shes gorgeous!
wow, my bad .. saw so cal and thought for sure you would like him .. guessed wrong
Old 03-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
wow, my bad .. saw so cal and thought for sure you would like him .. guessed wrong
That's ok no biggie. My favorite fighters are Marquez and Vitali Klitschko. I like watching friday night fights to see upcoming fighters. In the boxing world we seriously need some new blood!!
Old 03-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Villaseņor
That's ok no biggie. My favorite fighters are Marquez and Vitali Klitschko. I like watching friday night fights to see upcoming fighters. In the boxing world we seriously need some new blood!!
Boxing is rough to watch now. I used to love it, now, it does nothing for me. It's like going back to bluegill once you've had swordfish.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
And conversely I don't wrestle and I always seem to be a great disadvantage when I spar. Either put him in wrestling or have him work on subs from his back.
I would guess that wrestling would require the smallest financial investment to get started. This way if he isn't any good at it, you can try something else without having broken the bank.

But I was never into sports as a kid (PE was the only class I ever got an 'F' in), so what do I know?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Moose

Quote:
I would guess that wrestling would require the smallest financial investment to get started. This way if he isn't any good at it, you can try something else without having broken the bank.

But I was never into sports as a kid (PE was the only class I ever got an 'F' in), so what do I know?
An F in PE? I hope you got beat for that one.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Stump Rules!

How do you get an F in PE? I got a lot of "I"'s for incomplete but I always did good in PE. I took creative dance.I was gettin' my grove on in the 7th grade

Quote:

http://stumpdotcom.com/