Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-11-2009, 06:37 PM
County Mike

I wouldn't bother with karate - or any striking for that matter. At his age, wrestling would be a perfect start. As he gets a little older, he can transition what he knows from wrestling into BJJ.

I wouldn't want my kid being exposed to chokes and joint locks at the age of 5. Kids that young are too careless.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
which location would you be going to?
Most likely Corona..
Old 03-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
i'd take them outta boxing .. honestly, it is not a good sport ... i grew up watching boxing, love to watch and my brother was a good boxer ... but it is horrible for the brain ... i know they are wearing headgear, but that is to protect their head from getting hurt, not their brain ... the jolts to the brain over and over are horrrible ... i'd go with something like bjj or wrestling where they are rolling, but even karate, tkd are good ... as they teach discipline well IMO ...
My mom is always on me for boxing.. Thanks for right now my daughter is doing a hard 4 month training of endurance & strength so not too much sparring right now. She seems to like it, but not like how her parents do. I eventually want to put her in something else also to compliment her boxing skills. I want her to be the next GINA..haha!!! Thanks for your feedback and concern...
Old 03-11-2009, 08:12 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Villaseņor
My mom is always on me for boxing.. Thanks for right now my daughter is doing a hard 4 month training of endurance & strength so not too much sparring right now. She seems to like it, but not like how her parents do. I eventually want to put her in something else also to compliment her boxing skills. I want her to be the next GINA..haha!!! Thanks for your feedback and concern...
yeah, boxing has real good training .. i used to go to my bros gym just for the workout .. that is the good thing .. but even he lets his sons train and everything, but no sparring just yet ... i kinda talked him into it .. LOL

can't wait til some scum bag tries something on your girl .. WHAAAAM .. dude is gonna be in for a rude awakening ...

(watching de la hoya in the pacquiao fight must have been real tough)
Old 03-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Josh

If you can try to find an MMA gym. My kids are training here http://www.martialartstrainingacademy.com/index.html
We really like it. His philosophy is that striking can be learned quicker (even though he comes from that backround) so he works a little more on wrestling. The thing that is so great about wrestling is the advantage that it gives in picking where the fight happens.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
yeah, boxing has real good training .. i used to go to my bros gym just for the workout .. that is the good thing .. but even he lets his sons train and everything, but no sparring just yet ... i kinda talked him into it .. LOL

can't wait til some scum bag tries something on your girl .. WHAAAAM .. dude is gonna be in for a rude awakening ...

(watching de la hoya in the pacquiao fight must have been real tough)
I can't stand De La Hoya babe....lol....I was embarrassed for him he looked like a sissy!! He has just been awful time for retirement! For reals..
As for my daughter yeah she's her daddys girl.. Loves riding her quad, watching boxing/mma, and Jean-Claude Van Damm movies! haha!! Bad drawback is shes gorgeous!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:01 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
I have a red belt in TKD and I did it for three years. It's worth crap.

Go straight to BJJ and then some muay thai as he gets older. It will make him one bad ass little kid but will also teach him respect.
I love BJJ, and its great for sport, and for MMA,

but not practical in any real life situation.

In a street fight you never ever want to go to the ground.
Wayyy too many times have I seen people jump into fights that end up on the ground and people gotten really really hurt. If you're on your feet, and kick boxing and trying to get out of there you stand a much better chance than pulling guard and going for a submission.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
I love BJJ, and its great for sport, and for MMA,

but not practical in any real life situation.

In a street fight you never ever want to go to the ground.
Wayyy too many times have I seen people jump into fights that end up on the ground and people gotten really really hurt. If you're on your feet, and kick boxing and trying to get out of there you stand a much better chance than pulling guard and going for a submission.
What if you're in a street fight and the other guy throws you to the ground, jumps on top and starts punching you in the face? I'd say BJJ comes in really handy in that situation, especially against a bigger/stronger guy.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:12 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
What if you're in a street fight and the other guy throws you to the ground, jumps on top and starts punching you in the face? I'd say BJJ comes in really handy in that situation, especially against a bigger/stronger guy.
Never taken a kickboxing or karate lesson?

You back up, and punch and kick, that's your TDD.
Not to mention most karate's (at least the one I took), taught TDD and sweeps.

*shrug*
Just my opinion, I have taken karate since I was 10, done MT and I now do BJJ,
and the standup training I've done did 10 times in a street fight what the ground training did.

Mostly, street fights I've seen usually happen when people have friends with them.
I don't want to be on the ground when you have ten friends with you.
A good friend of mine (who is a wrestler) got his throat slit fighting that way,
he shot and took a guy down and while he was beating the guy up another ran over and slit his throat.
He lived, but has a cute scar and a scary story
Old 03-11-2009, 09:14 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Never taken a kickboxing or karate lesson?

You back up, and punch and kick, that's your TDD.
Not to mention most karate's (at least the one I took), taught TDD and sweeps.

*shrug*
Just my opinion, I have taken karate since I was 10, done MT and I now do BJJ,
and the standup training I've done did 10 times in a street fight what the ground training did.
Yes, I have taken Karate and kickboxing. Doesn't guarantee you won't end up on the ground, especially if attacked by surprise. I'm not saying it won't help. I'm just refuting your argument about BJJ not applying to ANY real life situations.