Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Chris F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I eat Mickey D's a lot more than I should but when you are running around with your head cut off a drive thru is handy and it is dirt cheap. Family of four we can eat for 7.00 bucks, 10 if we get soda's. As for being crap food well anything you do not grow yourself and know its origins is crap because it is so sull of steriods and chemicals and such that is is no worse than Mickey D's. The Avereg supermarket food contains the same stuff as most fast food chains theses days because corp farms use many chemicals and such to push higher yields. Fact of life. So you can fool yourself by thinking what you are eating is any more healthy but reality minus fat grams and sodium it is not.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
I eat Mickey D's a lot more than I should but when you are running around with your head cut off a drive thru is handy and it is dirt cheap. Family of four we can eat for 7.00 bucks, 10 if we get soda's.
I would like to see how you get a meal for 4 out of 7 dollars.. You think a hamburger and fries is a meal? Like I said.. it's fast food.. it's cheap.. but not very good for you. People take the easy way out more often than not..


Quote:
As for being crap food well anything you do not grow yourself and know its origins is crap because it is so sull of steriods and chemicals and such that is is no worse than Mickey D's. The Avereg supermarket food contains the same stuff as most fast food chains theses days because corp farms use many chemicals and such to push higher yields. Fact of life. So you can fool yourself by thinking what you are eating is any more healthy but reality minus fat grams and sodium it is not.

ChrisF.. you are VERY mistaken....

Compare the USDA grades of beef that are purchased by McD's and the like.. (Taco Bell was in court recently over the claim "100%beef")
Compare the oils used to make fries with say.. Rapeseed oil/Sesame oil...
Compare the ingerdients in most fast food places bread.. with the "mid range" brands of bread..


As far as sodas.. fact: fountain drinks contain much more syrup than a bottled soft drink..due to several reasons.. 1. fast food places pay almost nothing for syrup ..

[tangent alert](a few years ago a friend of mine was a asst dir of Coke and let me in on some of this.. a 5 gallon box of syrup was sold for something like 4 bucks.. that 5 gallon box can last for 2 days...) [/tangent alert]

The fountain machines are calabriated when installed and when they break.. between those times.. the calabraction tends to fail.. and you end up with much higher sugar than a "normal" fountain drink..

and then consider how often those fountian dispenseres are cleaned..

Yep, many grocery stores will carry much of the same products that you consume at a fast food place.. lettecue, pickles, condiments.. fruits and milks..

but do you ever wonder.. how/where they get these.. "food warehouses" are the same as a grocery store.. when stuff is starting to get "older".. they sell it cheaper.. guess who is the bigger purchaser of food priced to go from various wholesalers...

Now I know you are beyond being able to be educated by me.. no worries.. but don't lead others down a path you know little about.

If you truely think.. that the beef pattie in your McDs burger is as good and healthy for you as a 80% lean or even 75% lean (I can't recall if I have ever seen a 70%lean pacakge).. hamburger pattie than you make in your home.. your not only not trying to look past the curtian in front of your eyes.. you also put up your own blinds...

Try this for an experiment... just try.. see what happens...

Go to McDs/Wendys/BK/whatever... Buy cheap hamburger... nothing special.. what ever the "hamburger" is... and then go to the store.. and buy the cheapest.. oldest most fat filled pack of beef you can buy.. in fact.. ask the "meat market guy".. I want the oldest.. whatever you are going to throw away...

[tangent alert] (cause they do.. instead of donating.. they toss.. why do you think that they also have pad locks on most of their dumpsters) [/tangent]

Take that beef home.. along with the fast food burger.. Grill/fry your store bought beef... while grilling.. take the pattie out of the fast food burger.. and put it on a plate.. when your done grilling the store bought.. put it on the same plate...

Cover the plate and walk away.. (you can also put the cover plate in the grocery store bag..and tie the bag to prevent a smell).. forget about it for 2 days.. go back after two days.. and you will see something VERY interesting..

There is NO WAY .. a burger from a fast food place is as healthy for you as one made at home.. and if you think so.. maybe you should re-examine who is fooling themselves...
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno

Last edited by Spiritwalker; 05-20-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-20-2011, 07:48 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Spirit is correct. The fast food burger and fries will not decompose or mold, while the burger and fries you bought from the store will decompose and mold.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Chris F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
I would like to see how you get a meal for 4 out of 7 dollars.. You think a hamburger and fries is a meal? Like I said.. it's fast food.. it's cheap.. but not very good for you. People take the easy way out more often than not..





ChrisF.. you are VERY mistaken....

Compare the USDA grades of beef that are purchased by McD's and the like.. (Taco Bell was in court recently over the claim "100%beef")
Compare the oils used to make fries with say.. Rapeseed oil/Sesame oil...
Compare the ingerdients in most fast food places bread.. with the "mid range" brands of bread..


As far as sodas.. fact: fountain drinks contain much more syrup than a bottled soft drink..due to several reasons.. 1. fast food places pay almost nothing for syrup ..

[tangent alert](a few years ago a friend of mine was a asst dir of Coke and let me in on some of this.. a 5 gallon box of syrup was sold for something like 4 bucks.. that 5 gallon box can last for 2 days...) [/tangent alert]

The fountain machines are calabriated when installed and when they break.. between those times.. the calabraction tends to fail.. and you end up with much higher sugar than a "normal" fountain drink..

and then consider how often those fountian dispenseres are cleaned..

Yep, many grocery stores will carry much of the same products that you consume at a fast food place.. lettecue, pickles, condiments.. fruits and milks..

but do you ever wonder.. how/where they get these.. "food warehouses" are the same as a grocery store.. when stuff is starting to get "older".. they sell it cheaper.. guess who is the bigger purchaser of food priced to go from various wholesalers...

Now I know you are beyond being able to be educated by me.. no worries.. but don't lead others down a path you know little about.

If you truely think.. that the beef pattie in your McDs burger is as good and healthy for you as a 80% lean or even 75% lean (I can't recall if I have ever seen a 70%lean pacakge).. hamburger pattie than you make in your home.. your not only not trying to look past the curtian in front of your eyes.. you also put up your own blinds...

Try this for an experiment... just try.. see what happens...

Go to McDs/Wendys/BK/whatever... Buy cheap hamburger... nothing special.. what ever the "hamburger" is... and then go to the store.. and buy the cheapest.. oldest most fat filled pack of beef you can buy.. in fact.. ask the "meat market guy".. I want the oldest.. whatever you are going to throw away...

[tangent alert] (cause they do.. instead of donating.. they toss.. why do you think that they also have pad locks on most of their dumpsters) [/tangent]

Take that beef home.. along with the fast food burger.. Grill/fry your store bought beef... while grilling.. take the pattie out of the fast food burger.. and put it on a plate.. when your done grilling the store bought.. put it on the same plate...

Cover the plate and walk away.. (you can also put the cover plate in the grocery store bag..and tie the bag to prevent a smell).. forget about it for 2 days.. go back after two days.. and you will see something VERY interesting..

There is NO WAY .. a burger from a fast food place is as healthy for you as one made at home.. and if you think so.. maybe you should re-examine who is fooling themselves...
SW I have worked in restaurant for decades and I know more about the inside of the industry than you can ever imagine. As for USDA ratings of beef you got your info severely wrong. The grade of the beef is not the issue it is the fillers they put in. So your point is weak at best. And unless you butcher your own steer or cow you really should look into what goes into supermarket beef. I spent sometime working for a Missouri senator and had the privilege of being in some contact with the industry and if you think all you are getting is cow in the supermarket I want to sell you a bridge.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Chris F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Spirit is correct. The fast food burger and fries will not decompose or mold, while the burger and fries you bought from the store will decompose and mold.
fillers and those same fillers are creeping into supermarket meats more and more every year. Ignorance is bliss here in America. The meat industry has successfully lobbied and have blocked in most states the need to list that. Texas, Wyoming and one of the Dakotas are the only states that really require companies to fully list the stuff they use in their feed and as fillers. Google it I am sure you will find some info pretty quick on it. In fact some states this year even had bills to try and list them. The fact is the Farmers are wise lobbyist and great contributors.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 PM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Does anybody accept responsibility for their own actions anymore?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-22-2011, 08:29 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
fillers and those same fillers are creeping into supermarket meats more and more every year. Ignorance is bliss here in America. The meat industry has successfully lobbied and have blocked in most states the need to list that. Texas, Wyoming and one of the Dakotas are the only states that really require companies to fully list the stuff they use in their feed and as fillers. Google it I am sure you will find some info pretty quick on it. In fact some states this year even had bills to try and list them. The fact is the Farmers are wise lobbyist and great contributors.
So, in other words, you'll just reply with your suspicion rather than doing that experiment?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
SW I have worked in restaurant for decades and I know more about the inside of the industry than you can ever imagine. As for USDA ratings of beef you got your info severely wrong. The grade of the beef is not the issue it is the fillers they put in. So your point is weak at best. And unless you butcher your own steer or cow you really should look into what goes into supermarket beef. I spent sometime working for a Missouri senator and had the privilege of being in some contact with the industry and if you think all you are getting is cow in the supermarket I want to sell you a bridge.
My point is hardly weak.... I happen to know what I am talking about.. from research.. from reading ingredients.. from living.. from needing to know how to live healthy... From having kids that I want to be better than me...

You said..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF
As for being crap food well anything you do not grow yourself and know its origins is crap because it is so sull of steriods and chemicals and such that is is no worse than Mickey D's. The Avereg supermarket food contains the same stuff as most fast food chains theses days because corp farms use many chemicals and such to push higher yields. Fact of life. So you can fool yourself by thinking what you are eating is any more healthy but reality minus fat grams and sodium it is not.
To put it in very easy to understand terms.....

Your wrong.

Compare the QUALITY of beef.. between a McDs burger (or most fast food places) and generic beef in a store... Store bought...70% lean..crap beef IS better for you than McDs...

The lettuce.. the pickles.. the onions.. all "scrap".. the condiments.. negligible.. The bread.. consider the kind of wheat.. All of that is much more healthy for you than what you are getting in most fast food restaurants...

McDs and the like.. are about QUANTITY... filling your belly... with "stuff".. but not what is better for you.


Then lets talk about why.. if you toss a McDs hamburger on the counter.. and do the same with a homemade hamburger... on the same counter.. and 3 days later... one is attracting flies.. and the other isn't.

Like I said.. people will more often than not.. take the easy way out.. Fast Food is the easy way out...

still wondering how you feed a family of four at meal at a fast food place for 7 bucks.



I have eaten in these places in the past.. and probably will in the future..but it is not a common happenstance..
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Wait! What?

A 670 Calorie (40g fat, 11g sugar) sandwich and (guessing the size) a 290 Calorie (77g sugar) medium Coke is a snack?
(960 calories, 40g fat, 88g sugar).
Looking at it on the surface.. yep.. I can see what you are saying... but ..

I will eat a light breakfast.. and a heavy lunch... a large roast beef sandwich on wheat bread with onions and lettecue.. maybe tomatoes.. or 2 or 3 bagels... some raw veggies... (pea pods.. brocolli, red/yellow/orange peppers.. stuff like that..) and then from there.. I leave work at 4.. head to the dojo.. and start teaching at 4:45.. I work out with the kids classes..jumping jacks.. pushups.. 5 minute run... general workouts.. then I either teach adults... (I teach 2 days a week min)....and I still do the workouts.. plus the class..I also teak the balintawak classes...and then adult karate.. then adult juijitsu.. If I am not teaching.. I get to the dojo around 6:45/7.. and take my classes...

Come home.. shower.. maybe have a beer or two..or a drink.. maybe wine... and then sleep.

I burn a whole lot of calories each day... I normally consume 16,000 calories a day...(roughly).. I will have to check that.. starting tomorrow... it's been awhile since I really checked that...
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-22-2011, 11:57 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Looking at it on the surface.. yep.. I can see what you are saying... but ..

I will eat a light breakfast.. and a heavy lunch... a large roast beef sandwich on wheat bread with onions and lettecue.. maybe tomatoes.. or 2 or 3 bagels... some raw veggies... (pea pods.. brocolli, red/yellow/orange peppers.. stuff like that..) and then from there.. I leave work at 4.. head to the dojo.. and start teaching at 4:45.. I work out with the kids classes..jumping jacks.. pushups.. 5 minute run... general workouts.. then I either teach adults... (I teach 2 days a week min)....and I still do the workouts.. plus the class..I also teak the balintawak classes...and then adult karate.. then adult juijitsu.. If I am not teaching.. I get to the dojo around 6:45/7.. and take my classes...

Come home.. shower.. maybe have a beer or two..or a drink.. maybe wine... and then sleep.

I burn a whole lot of calories each day... I normally consume 16,000 calories a day...(roughly).. I will have to check that.. starting tomorrow... it's been awhile since I really checked that...
I think you'll find that you're likely not eating half of what you think you're consuming in calories, which is a good thing.

While were talking about experiments, document what you eat for a day or 2, download the program below (pcs23.exe if you're a Windows user), enter your information and see what you're really consuming each meal/daily basis.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/services/docs.htm?docid=5720

If not, I understand it's a pain in the butt and a lot of work, but I find it impossible to believe that you're consuming 16,000 calories a day. That, and that regardless of your training, that you're not 600 pounds.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.