Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 05-25-2011, 02:42 PM
rearnakedchoke

donald, nice to have you back!
Old 05-25-2011, 02:46 PM
County Mike

Someone can be clinically dead, then brought back through CPR, Electronic Heart
Shock, etc.

Beyond that, you'll have a hard time convincing me.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:04 PM
donaldbreland

Thanks rearnaked. I appreciate it.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:16 PM
donaldbreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Someone can be clinically dead, then brought back through CPR, Electronic Heart
Shock, etc.

Beyond that, you'll have a hard time convincing me.
So you don't think that God gives us the power to heal. The bible says we can. So if the Bible says it, I believe it.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:26 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldbreland View Post
So you don't think that God gives us the power to heal. The bible says we can. So if the Bible says it, I believe it.
No. I don't believe we have a magical power of healing the dead. I think some doctors have the knowledge and ability to bring people back from the brink of death, but once someone is completely dead there's no coming back. Unless we're talking about zombies but that's a different topic (and also not real).
Old 05-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
No. I don't believe we have a magical power of healing the dead. I think some doctors have the knowledge and ability to bring people back from the brink of death, but once someone is completely dead there's no coming back. Unless we're talking about zombies but that's a different topic (and also not real).
http://emergency.cdc.gov/socialmedia/zombies_blog.asp

The CDC released a survival guide to the zombie apocalypse. They may know something we don't.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Well than by your own admission you have zero faith and by default must say that Jesus did not raise from the dead and thus you are not saved Mike. You cannot pick and choose what is real and what is "magical". It is either or and it is because so many people cherry pick that we have wishy washy followers and confusion to begin with. I hope you realize your mistake and embrace the power of God and the salvation that is Jesus Christ. As for Zombies we I got my survival kit ready and we will have to wait and see
Old 05-26-2011, 06:17 PM
County Mike

I can believe that Jesus had the power to raise people and that he, himself, rose without believing that other christians posess the same power. If that means I'm not saved, then I guess I'll have to discuss that with God when my time comes.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldbreland View Post
Anyone hear about Smith Wigglesworth. Here is a bit about him.

Smith Wigglesworth

The Apostle of Faith

Smith Wigglesworth always gave this famous quote: "Never compare this Book with other books. This Book is from heaven. It does not contain the Word of God; it is the Word of God. It is supernatural in origin, eternal in duration and value, infinite in scope and Divine in authorship. Read it through! Pray it in! Write it down." This refering to the Bible.

Smith Wigglesworth (1859-1947) is often referred to as the Apostle of Faith and was one of those credited for shaping the Pentecostal Movement in the early twentieth century. It was said that he was responsible for introducing the Movement in Australia and New Zealand. His unflinching faith and belief in God and His Word put him in a class all by himself so much so that today, books are still being written and stories being told about this great man of God and the miracles God wrought through him.

Smith Wigglesworth was born in a little village called Menston in Yorkshire, England. He was one of four children born to John and Martha Wigglesworth. They were poor as John Wigglesworth made very little money from digging ditches. In order to supplement the family income, Smith Wigglesworth began working at the tender age of six pulling and cleaning turnips for a farmer. At the age of seven he started to work in the mill. He worked six days a week from 6am to 6 pm. With his full working day, there was little or no time for schooling and it was not until later in his life that he learnt to read and write. Smith Wiggleworth stammered and very often had difficulties expressing himself. It was reported that in the initial part of his life, this caused him great embarrassment and on occasions ended in tears of frustration.

Though his parents were not professing Christians, Smith Wigglesworth and his siblings were brought up to reverence God and from an early age he had a desire to be close to God. There were a number of experiences in his life that helped to lay the foundation for his faith in God. At the age of eight, his grandmother, who was a Methodist, took him to a Wesleyan Methodist Revival meeting where for the first time, he witnessed people worshipping and praising the Lord. At about the age of thirteen, he met a gentleman who introduced him to the plumbing trade. This gentleman was a member of the Christian Brethren. The Brethren were known for their emphasis on the second coming of Jesus and Bible Study. Smith Wigglesworth was later introduced to the Salvation Army and it was with this organization that he started his Christian service and soon met the woman who was to become his wife. He and his wife were complete opposites for while she was bright and intelligent, he was awkward and uneducated. However, they made a great pair, for while she preached, he took care of things behind the scenes. They were blessed with five children but one son died at a young age. Smith Wigglesworth was a family man who was very devoted to his wife.

Smith Wigglesworth’s life changed dramatically after he received the Holy Ghost. The most noticeable effect of this experience was that he was immediately healed of his stammering. He also acquired a boldness that only God could have given to him. It was at this time that his preaching ministry began. His messages were said to be profound and full of revelation as if from the throne of God Himself.

He was later to become acquainted with the healing ministry and was so enthusiastic about healing that he would go out into the streets and bring the sick to the healing meetings. God soon began to use him to heal although his methods were said to be unconventional and unorthodox. Smith Wigglesworth considered every type of sickness the work of the enemy. Once he identified which part of the body was hurting, he would punch the patient in that area of the body. When asked why he hit the sick, he would reply “I don’t hit people; I hit the devil the people just get in the way.” Through his ministry, people regained their hearing and sight, new limbs were created, cancerous growths disappeared and the demon possessed were delivered. He is also credited for raising twenty-three people from the dead.

Smith Wigglesworth operated in a realm that was unique and this was because he possessed complete and unshakeable faith in God and His Word. He took God at His Word and admonished everyone to do the same. The words “only believe” became his trade mark. His only passion was to stir up an ever increasing faith God which he did. According to him, to live a life of faith required feeding on the Word of God because it is the Word of God that enables faith to spring up in us. He never prayed for the same person twice because according to him, that was unbelief.
Yeah he refused to read the newspaper and did all sorts of things we would call bizarre. Once he was staying the night with a family. The wife wanted wanted Smith to pray for he unbelieving husband. He told he just don't change the sheets. That night the Husband laid down he (the husband) said if felt like get hit in the chest with a sledgehammer. He was so convicted by what he had done he dropped to his knee right there and repented. One story that was documented by a secular source was Smith was praying for a man to be raised from the dead. He slammed the 3 day old dead body onto the wall and said in the Name of Jesus live. The body fell to the ground. He did this a few times. On the third time he said. I think you are having trouble hearing me sir I said in the NAME OF JESUS LIVE. Right then the man's breathe exhaled violently and he lived another 5 years. This was a secular source not his story.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Chris F

Quote:
I can believe that Jesus had the power to raise people and that he, himself, rose without believing that other christians posess the same power. If that means I'm not saved, then I guess I'll have to discuss that with God when my time comes.
But Mike he said while he was teaching we would do the same thing and even greater. SO was that true or was Jesus lying. Keep in mind Jesus was talking to more people than just the disciples there so the myth of miracles ending with the disciples is not very credible. Plus like you said it is God, not the people, who does it so he can decide if and when one is raised from the dead. Faith requires no proof, however I have seen the fruits of it and even if I didn;t my faith is not so weak that I would deny the possibility that God would still do it. SO Ike is God the same Yesterday today and forever or if your beliefs based purely on what you can wrap your finite mind around?