Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-11-2009, 09:25 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
NAC 467.598: The excessive use of grease or any other foreign substance may not be used on the face or body of an unarmed combatant. The referees or the commissionís representative in charge shall cause any excessive grease of foreign substance to be removed.

Obviously, not completely followed since they always grease up a fighter's face before fights and between rounds. Unless you go by the word "excessive". In that case, how much grease on the body is excessive?
thank you for the post,
i looked for a very long time and that was the only thing i could find also,

and the way i read it,there seems to be no rule in place against greasing
the body,your just not allowed to excessively grease your body,

so like somebody said before,what constitutes excessive greasing?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:35 PM
County Mike

It seems that technically there isn't a rule forbidding ANY grease on the body. In that case, GSP didn't break any rules. The best BJ can hope for is a rule amendment to prevent it in the future.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Crisco

Quote:
It seems that technically there isn't a rule forbidding ANY grease on the body. In that case, GSP didn't break any rules. The best BJ can hope for is a rule amendment to prevent it in the future.
Yes according to the rules everything was does according to regs.

They will need to reword the rules for the future though as they are too vague.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:42 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:

that is exactly it .. the grease was applied imo by accident and was wiped off ... if you look at the term excessive, nurse has little on his hands in the first place, wipes pierres face then put his hands on the back and chest .. you could argue that even bj had some grease on him when in the first gsp was going for the TD, his face was near BJ's chest, what was on his face could have been transfered ... imo, they shouldn't be allowed any grease before the fight .. and are they checked during the stare down? if you watch when a fighter enters, he goes to his corner, his cornermen are outside the cage, but a lot of the time they reach over and massaged the shoulders .. what is stopping someone from applying it then .. that is unless they are getting checked by the ref at the staredown
Old 03-11-2009, 09:52 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
I wouldn't say thats the best he can hope for,
the head of the state commission said he was disgusted, etc...
Old 03-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
I wouldn't say thats the best he can hope for,
the head of the state commission said he was disgusted, etc...
Sure he can be disgusted but it's his own commisions fault for not having clearer rules to prosecute with.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:52 PM
County Mike

Exactly! You can't convict someone of breaking a law that doesn't exist. All you can do is change the law to prevent future occurrences.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc87

And since the commission came in and and wiped him down its clear that they found it as excessive.
of course....

not to mention the rules have been changed in regards to Vaseline. and the Head of the NSAC has said it was unfair to Penn, Dana said it was illegal.

there is no question the NSAC is against GSP on this. it's just a matter of what, if anything, they're going to do. maybe fine Nurse, suspend him? GSP won't be punished though.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:35 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Exactly! You can't convict someone of breaking a law that doesn't exist. All you can do is change the law to prevent future occurrences.
1. It wasn't a law.

2. They can do whatever they want.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:45 AM
kevint13

The problem I have is that BJ never said anything about it until it became the big story and was questioned. If he had said something immediately during or after the fight then I would believe him. But when he laid there and made no attempt to scramble and get out from under GSP makes me not believe it is as bad as people are portraying the greasing to be.

It is all after the fact. If I go to the bank and withdraw money and find out that I got shorted after I have left, can I go back and get the rest? NO, it is my fault for not bringing it to their attention at the time. So if it didn't seem to be an issue for him during the fight, why should it be one now? Why did he and his team admit that GSP was the better fighter that night, then accuse him of greasing days later?

All I keep hearing on this is to test it...rub some vaseline in and try to wipe it off with a towel. That's great for BJ's case. I am asking anyone....have you read the response that GSP sent to the commission? They make some great points also.