Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-11-2009, 07:40 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
the reason why GSP is so slippery is because he has ZERO body hair

That does help. I need to use more grease on my ears. Getting wicked cauliflower again.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
I give him credit but I want to see him admit he was beat regardless of what went on then I can respect him for what he is doing. That is being a man.

Calling someone out on what they did wrong but having the balls to admit that you still would have lost that fight that day. Then it shows your out for justice instead of being a whine baby
I agree with "atom" and Goat. When all this started and other fighters came out and said they felt he was "slippery" (not sweat) when they fought him, they were given a lot of flak for NOT filing a formal complaint at the time. Matt explained his particular experience and what he said to his camp, friends and family after his fight(s) with GSP. When BJ first started complaining about what happened, people were like, then why don't you file a "formal" complaint. Now he has, which is his right to do. He's going by the book.

BJ has given people enough rope to hang him on the "whining" over the years (he's earned that), but don't fault him for following the rules in pursuing formal/legal action. That is the "smart" thing for him to do--get everything out there and let the people who govern this stuff do their investigation and present their findings and determine whatever (if any) action will be taken against GSP and his camp and anyone else.

Like I said BJ has earned his rep for whining and people's disrespect because of it, BUT people need to also put the responsibility for this particular situation and all the fallout where it belongs and that is with GSP and his camp/cornermen. So how can BJ come out and "admit" he was beat "regardless" of what went on. What fighter (let alone BJ) would say that in a situation like this (with video proof)...come on now.

GSP and his camp are the ones who handed BJ "that" rope (whether anyone thinks he would have lost anyway is beside the point). Oh, and to the person who said, "would he have filed a complaint if he had won?" My answer would be, he should have.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:46 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
I agree with "atom" and Goat. When all this started and other fighters came out and said they felt he was "slippery" (not sweat) when they fought him, they were given a lot of flak for NOT filing a formal complaint at the time. Matt explained his particular experience and what he said to his camp, friends and family after his fight(s) with GSP. When BJ first started complaining about what happened, people were like, then why don't you file a "formal" complaint. Now he has, which is his right to do. He's going by the book.

BJ has given people enough rope to hang him on the "whining" over the years (he's earned that), but don't fault him for following the rules in pursuing formal/legal action. That is the "smart" thing for him to do--get everything out there and let the people who govern this stuff do their investigation and present their findings and determine whatever (if any) action will be taken against GSP and his camp and anyone else.

Like I said BJ has earned his rep for whining and people's disrespect because of it, BUT people need to also put the responsibility for this particular situation and all the fallout where it belongs and that is with GSP and his camp/cornermen. So how can BJ come out and "admit" he was beat "regardless" of what went on. What fighter (let alone BJ) would say that in a situation like this (with video proof)...come on now.

GSP and his camp are the ones who handed BJ "that" rope (whether anyone thinks he would have lost anyway is beside the point). Oh, and to the person who said, "would he have filed a complaint if he had won?" My answer would be, he should have.

well said, very well said
Old 03-11-2009, 07:48 PM
bradwright

just so we all understand what rule GSP is being accused of breaking
could somebody please put up the link to the rule that states greasing is illegal in MMA,

i'll check back later when its up,,because i'm really interested in reading it.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:53 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright
just so we all understand what rule GSP is being accused of breaking
could somebody please put up the link to the rule that states greasing is illegal in MMA,

i'll check back later when its up,,because i'm really interested in reading it.
Ill look, but I am pretty positive the state athletic commission only allows vasoline to be applied to the face.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:54 PM
County Mike

NAC 467.598: The excessive use of grease or any other foreign substance may not be used on the face or body of an unarmed combatant. The referees or the commission’s representative in charge shall cause any excessive grease of foreign substance to be removed.

Obviously, not completely followed since they always grease up a fighter's face before fights and between rounds. Unless you go by the word "excessive". In that case, how much grease on the body is excessive?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
NAC 467.598: The excessive use of grease or any other foreign substance may not be used on the face or body of an unarmed combatant. The referees or the commissionís representative in charge shall cause any excessive grease of foreign substance to be removed.

Obviously, not completely followed since they always grease up a fighter's face before fights and between rounds. Unless you go by the word "excessive". In that case, how much grease on the body is excessive?

Yeah, pretty clearly (from the sounds of it)
more of a boxing rule that needs to be clearly defined for mixed martial arts
Old 03-11-2009, 08:13 PM
lc87

I think when they say excessive from what I've watched if there are globs or it looks too thick I've seen refs wipe it off. I think its a judgement call just like tkos.

And since the commission came in and and wiped him down its clear that they found it as excessive.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:17 PM
StizzoFoShizzo

If bj was doing submitting this "formal complaint" and stating that all fighters(not just gsp) shower before fights to prevent greasing, then I'd give the benifit of the doubt to him. This whole complaint is basically a smear campaign against one fighter from one fight. Now if he woulda said something about doing this for the sport and not sounding like a cry baby then we'd have something here. If those are the actual athletic commision rules on greasing(as posted above) then I can't see them being able to punish gsp. That wording of the rule needs to be changed. I really wanted to see gsp get ktfo by alvez. Now bj is trying to rob me of this. Sorry if this makes no sense, I'm typing this from my iPhone during class.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:19 PM
StizzoFoShizzo

And shouldn't a formal complaint be made for the better of the sport? Not to make excuses for a loss