Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 05-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Rev

So far so good with the SBC. I can PROMISE that any church that I pastor will not change its view on this subject.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Dave can't spell. We all know that. Let's move on.

I would be interested to know exactly what other non-Presbyterian denominations are hearing on this topic.

For me personally, I feel that as long as we have our current pastor at HPC, then this won't even be an issue. However, if he leaves and gets replaced with someone who agrees with this change, then I will withdraw my membership of the church
Sure, Nate, sorry.

I'm glad your pastor is holding strong. Are some other denominations kowtowing to poliltical pressure? I don't understand what is driving this.

Not quite burial but the numbers were surprising - from adamt's link:

Quote:
In voting to change the constitution, the presbytery became the 87th regional governing body (of the 173 presbyteries in the denomination) to ratify and, thus, won the majority.
That's just barely over 50%. The analogy of headlight/taillight seems really lame.

Last edited by flo; 05-15-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Old 05-16-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:

I would be interested to know exactly what other non-Presbyterian denominations are hearing on this topic.

For me personally, I feel that as long as we have our current pastor at HPC, then this won't even be an issue. However, if he leaves and gets replaced with someone who agrees with this change, then I will withdraw my membership of the church.
Does your congregation own its building or does it belong to the denomination? Does your congregation give money to the denomination?
Old 05-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
Does your congregation own its building or does it belong to the denomination? Does your congregation give money to the denomination?
denomination owns the building. I dont know about the money.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
No, we don't own the building. If it came down to it, our pastor has said that he is willing to give up the building if necessary (the local theater has already agreed to allow us to meet there if that ever happens).

Of course, not everyone would leave if that were to happen; since, unfortunately, many "Christians" put more stock in buildings than in GOD.

As for the money going to the denomination, that's something I'd like to find out. I'm not sure what percentage of members' tithe actually stays in the Hillsboro Presbyterian Church. I would hope that it would be 100%, but I'm not entirely sure.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
No, we don't own the building. If it came down to it, our pastor has said that he is willing to give up the building if necessary (the local theater has already agreed to allow us to meet there if that ever happens).

Of course, not everyone would leave if that were to happen; since, unfortunately, many "Christians" put more stock in buildings than in GOD.

As for the money going to the denomination, that's something I'd like to find out. I'm not sure what percentage of members' tithe actually stays in the Hillsboro Presbyterian Church. I would hope that it would be 100%, but I'm not entirely sure.
The denomination must have a headquarters and a staff. It takes money to fund them. It must be coming from somewhere. I would bet each congregation gives money to the denomination. If your church decides to leave, perhaps they could join the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) or the Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC). The OPC was formed by J. Gresham Machen in 1936. He left Princeton Seminary to form Westminster Seminary and left the Presbyterian Church to form the OPC because Princeton and the Presbyterian Church had a Missionary board packed with liberals who didn't believe in orthodox Christianity.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:20 AM
Rev

Man I hate to hear that this is even becoming an issue for yall. I will be in Prayer for you and your church. If it's ok with yall, I would like to add your church to our prayer list at our church and have more people dedicated to praying for you and your church.
Let your pastor know that he has people lifting him up in prayer as he stands firm on the word.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

This sort of infighting is why you shouldnt blame Christ for the Christians.

Whilst the Presbyterians are quelling a policy rebellion, The Third World still needs aid, and the poor people of Japan still need disastor support.

Should The Church be more concerned with the loss of life in Alabama, and the Texan Fires then worrying about Homosexuals?

Look back at this forum, it comes up almost every quarter...the passion it raises is a shame to all denominations. One sin is as bad as another, acceptence of one sin is as bad as another...all churches do this, all the time.

Not feeding the Hungry, not supporting Charitable Giving, Not treating others as you wish to be treated...THATS unforgivable to a church.

But please....continue to debate about a non issue in the eyes of GOD, relative to what the Church fails to do every single day, and what we as member of the church have failed to do in and for our own communities.

Leave the Church if you must...GOD wont hold it against you...You can take him, and The Body of Christ wherever you go. I dont mind Talk and Action...but I'm for Action over Talk...if we cant be certain of the action, I dont think Im prepared to talk anymore.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:55 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

To the best of my Knowlege the mian org that my Church is affiliated with still teaches that Homosexual acts are a sin. In fact I don't believe any of them knowenly accepts Homosexuals into the Minitry. Our church is called Pentecostals of Corrollton!

http://www.tpoclive.com/