Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Miss Foxy

Default Zuffa to pay fighters to promote

A lot of things are going on this week in Las Vegas at the UFC’s Fighter Summit.

One of the many topics discussed has been the use of social media to promote the UFC and each fighter’s individual career.

According to reports, the UFC will now be offering a total of $240,000.00 per year in quarterly bonus awards to fighter’s who earn and deserve it based on certain criteria.

Starting June 1, the UFC and Strikeforce fighters will be split into four groups. The UFC will then pick three fighters from each group for quarterly bonus awards in the amount of $5000.00 each.

The judging criteria for these bonus amounts is based on who has gained the most followers in a quarter, who gains the highest percentage of followers in a quarter and Dana White will pick a quarterly winner from each group on who made the most creative tweet.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Miss Foxy

I think this is lame! I don't agree with it at all! Some should spend less time socializing on FB/Twitter and train!
Old 05-12-2011, 05:40 AM
Liddellfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
I think this is lame! I don't agree with it at all! Some should spend less time socializing on FB/Twitter and train!
AGREED............This sounds like a RAW vs Smack Down type deal...
Old 05-12-2011, 08:14 AM
atomdanger

I think its a great idea.

they aren't forcing anyone to do it,
and you can always tweet on your way to the gym
on your way home, etc...
Or have a manager do it and just have your name on it, approve the things he will say, etc...
Old 05-12-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

That's a pretty sweet idea. Extra money to do something that most fighters are already doing anyways.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:52 PM
rearnakedchoke

rampage will get the biggest bonus ... he's probably laughing like "what, you gonna pay me for talking?"

LOL
Old 05-12-2011, 02:07 PM
County Mike

It's a great idea for the UFC and the fighters. Some fighters will make extra money and the UFC gets a ton more exposure. They're just paying the fighters to do some advertising. Simple as that.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
rampage will get the biggest bonus ... he's probably laughing like "what, you gonna pay me for talking?"

LOL

OK.. THIS is the PoTW!!! Beating the Tito comment hands down!!
Old 05-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
It's a great idea for the UFC and the fighters. Some fighters will make extra money and the UFC gets a ton more exposure. They're just paying the fighters to do some advertising. Simple as that.

Agreed! Just don't let it become "nothing but trash talk".
Old 05-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

The Internet has always been the true backbone of this sports longevity....it is people like us...across the web, that make this thing work....individual fighters have already recognised it...hence the sprouting of forums...and the posting of legitamate fighters on some of the international forum hubs.

The UFC is way behind on this...in terms of capitalizing...what do they have...oh yes...Dana Whites Video blog...and thats about it. Now if they can start rewarding fighters...it will be because of an investment on hyping themselves across the internet...they are using Fighters fame, to boost their own.

My suprise is they need to do this...shouldnt they be able to have legitamate bloggers and an Internet Relations department themselves??? Why are they not hireing people who make a lifetime out of this already....Think about this website...we have been going strong for half a decade now!! There are, and were daily posters on this site for years...does the UFC not realize that it can use some of these people also?? Rather then waste time on removing their product from youtube...why are they not searching for the best video predictors? why are they not offering merchandise sponsorship...why are they not setting up exclusives? Why are they not getting their fans wholly involved? why are they not endorsing long term loyal fans...because...they need do nothing more to get their name exclusively universal.

Instead...people in this online community go off pure heresay...and scratch like beggers in a telesales office to get snippits...they get endorsement from outside brands, outside magazines, and they arrange to meet fighters independantly!

Before you think this is idealistic...let me inform you that local MMA promotions are already doing this...at least they are in England...I have experience of it myself, at Cage Gladiators and Tenth Legion. Dana White is not as good a bussiness man as he thinks

Last edited by Tyburn; 05-13-2011 at 08:09 PM.