Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 05-09-2011, 04:35 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Gus Johnson's Contract Up at CBS

Quote:

Gus Johnson, the lead mixed martial arts play-by-play man for CBS who has called many of the most-watched fights in the sport's history, is reportedly leaving the network.

Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated reports that Johnson, who's best known for calling college football and the NFL, is leaving after failing to come to terms on a new contract with the network. UPDATE: The New York Daily News reports that while Johnson's contract with CBS has expired, it's still possible he could reach a new deal.

It's not clear whether Johnson is also out at Showtime, where he has been both a boxing and MMA play-by-play voice. Johnson will still be part of Saturday night's Manny Pacquiao vs. Shane Mosley pay-per-view broadcast, but it seems unlikely that Johnson would stick around at Showtime, which a division of the CBS Corporation, for long.

When Johnson was first announced as the lead voice for MMA on CBS, it seemed like a big deal for the sport because he's such a well-regarded broadcaster in basketball and football. But Johnson has never been the right fit for MMA. He simply doesn't know MMA as well as he knows other sports, and it shows: His most famous call as an MMA broadcaster was the way he ecstatically likened Seth Petruzelli to Rocky after Petruzelli knocked out Kimbo Slice, suggesting that it was one of the most momentous upsets in MMA history. In reality, Petruzelli-Kimbo was just one mediocre fighter beating another, and a broadcaster with more experience in MMA would have known that.

If Johnson does leave Showtime's MMA coverage, it will be interesting to see to what extent Strikeforce's new parent company has some say in his replacement. The UFC has always liked to have total control over its television product, while Showtime has had control over the announcers, production and other aspects of Strikeforce telecasts.

Johnson, who was passed over by NFL Network when it recently changed its broadcast team, has talked to Fox Sports and also calls college basketball for Big Ten Network.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

LOL, yeah, I remember him calling the Kimbo/Petruzelli fight. I laughed and said "A guy who beats up people in his backyard losing to a U.S. national champ in karate is NOT an upset."

That guy and Mauro Ranallo drive me nuts; they know jack squat about mma.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:22 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
LOL, yeah, I remember him calling the Kimbo/Petruzelli fight. I laughed and said "A guy who beats up people in his backyard losing to a U.S. national champ in karate is NOT an upset."

to be fair, i am sure he was told to big up kimbo up by execs .. just like goldie still refers to yushin okami as the last man to beat anderson .. LOL . technically he is right, but rogan sorta put him back in his place .
Old 05-09-2011, 05:33 PM
KevinD

Quote:

I agree 1000 percent with you. Gus Johnson is horrible play by play guy. If CBS had any brains they would get Pat Militich on speed dial and start making offers!!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
LOL, yeah, I remember him calling the Kimbo/Petruzelli fight. I laughed and said "A guy who beats up people in his backyard losing to a U.S. national champ in karate is NOT an upset." .

Well.. considering that Seth never won a US Championship in Karate.... he did fight at Budokan in Japan if memory serves... that should tell you alot about the announcer...

man I would love to just walk into that place...Budokan is just.. well.. an awesome place for a martial artist to walk into....

Quote:
Isn't Mauro still involved in WAMMA??? are they still even doing anything??
Old 05-09-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Well.. considering that Seth never won a US Championship in Karate....
http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Seth-Petruzelli
Quote:
What ranks and titles have you held? King of the Cage superfight champion, Cage Wars (England) superfight champion, national kumite champion (karate), world team kumite champion (karate), 2002 US open absolute grappling champion, numerous grappling and karate championship medals.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
[Quote:
What ranks and titles have you held? King of the Cage superfight champion, Cage Wars (England) superfight champion, national kumite champion (karate), world team kumite champion (karate), 2002 US open absolute grappling champion, numerous grappling and karate championship medals.
[/QUOTE]

He is not listed with the USA NKF.. nor AAU that I can find.. for karate..It doesn't mean that he ISN'T there.. I will do a bit more digging tonight..

I am not knocking Seth and his accomplishments... I like seeing traditionals in the cage.. I am a fan... of him and of traditional martial artisists...

But I remember watching the Kevin/Seth fight and hearing that Seth was a national champion.. I went digging that night.. never found anything..

On the Interstate and state level.. AAU doesn't do a great job of listing.. NFK does pretty good.. you can find my name if you "really go looking"...Local levels are even worse...
Old 05-10-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Sometimes these things happen in sports broadcasting.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:24 PM
KevinD

Bad news....Gus Johnson signed with Foxsports but will be kept on at Showtime. Guess we will have to keep listening and being annoyed during Strikeforce cards.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:18 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
Bad news....Gus Johnson signed with Foxsports but will be kept on at Showtime. Guess we will have to keep listening and being annoyed during Strikeforce cards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0...eature=related