Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 05-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I have several friends who are Atheists or agnostic and, if it came right down to it, I would vote for an Atheist Presidential candidate long before I voted for a Muslim Presidential candidate. I would prefer it if I wasn't put in that position, but if those were the only two options, that is how I would vote.
You sure do come off differently on here.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Dethbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Anyone here want to give their reasons if you feel this way?
Quote:
I'm asking, I'm ready for the answers.
Quote:
I'm truly interested in this.
Quote:
I'm asking you this sincerely. If you can, great. If you aren't comfortable with me asking questions back, then I don't think this will work, but I'll still give it a go. If not interested, no problems there either.
The more you insist you're not a troll, the less I believe you, especially when you ask a question like:
Quote:
So, have you stopped beating your wife?
and then call me silly for answering you.

If you really want to have a conversation about this, I guess you could start now. But if you're going to troll you should have the self respect and intestinal fortitude to just own it.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
You sure do come off differently on here.
Probably because you are reading your own preconceived notions into everything I type.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Probably because you are reading your own preconceived notions into everything I type.

I NEVER did that...

IMO.. Nate is VERY blunt.. and that is the better way of being.. IMO.. less confusion..
Old 05-04-2011, 01:58 PM

OK.. I will take the bait...

Quote:
Why do Americans still dislike atheists.
Because the VAST majority of the world belives in "God" in some form or name...

And that belife gives many things.. comfort, a sense of purpose, a belife that when the flesh fails.. there is more...

And when dealing with those the are true atheists.. I have seen that the atheist tends to have a "I am better than you" attitude... it's not always a "chip on their shoulder", but does come off as "looking down" or those that do have a religious system based on God.

The religion of atheisism never comes off as there is no God.. but rather skeptical of the belife in God..and skeptical of "misguided" people that belive in God.. and that skepticism rubs people that have a belife in God wrong... it seems...

Why? Because.. right or wrong.. they are both a belife system.. when looking at the science of a man rising from the dead.. walking on water.. and other men calling on God to part the ocean... and every other boat in the world not working and only one did.. it's easy to see why an atheist can keep that belife...

But when you look at the sense of comfort, of "oneness" in having a releationship with the creator, the desire to please and follow.. man .. there is just so much to that.. and I don't even know how to begin to explain the sheer "calm-ness" of that...

as far as being discrimination against the atheist and those of faith.. they both do it to each other.. basically because the two systems.. call to bring others to that system...

Boy Scouts.. the BSoA is a non-profit.. and can set up any rules they wish...

If an atheist wants to join the Boy Scouts.. I am sure that they can.. they just have to live a lie... if they are a true atheist.. why would they want to.. better to just join another like minded group.. if there isn't one.. start one..

As far as convincing you.. no one can convince someone of something they do not belive in.. if they are of strong mind.

Some people don't belive in the Jewish Holocost.. some people don't belive that planes flew into the World Trade Center.. Some people don't belive that dinosaurs and man didn't exist at the same time.. try finding someone that totally belives opposite of something you belive in.. and honestly try to convenience them that you are right.. and they are wrong.. it won't happen... That's where wars start.. to one degree or another...

Weather they should be convinced.. is a different topic..

Last edited by Spiritwalker; 05-04-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Chris F

Buzzard it is because they are not being honest with themselves. Agnostics at least say there could be. An Atheist is harder to swallow then a faith based person. You see we only know a fraction of what is in our universe. Yet the arogantly claim there is no God. We cannot know this for certain so to say it is impossible is just plain stupid. At least admit the possibility and be honest and say you refuse to accept God, Maybe than they would not look even more foolish that they already do,
Old 05-04-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Buzzard it is because they are not being honest with themselves. Agnostics at least say there could be. An Atheist is harder to swallow then a faith based person. You see we only know a fraction of what is in our universe. Yet the arogantly claim there is no God. We cannot know this for certain so to say it is impossible is just plain stupid. At least admit the possibility and be honest and say you refuse to accept God, Maybe than they would not look even more foolish that they already do,

the question was ...
Quote:
Why do Americans still dislike atheists.
Not.. let's bash atheists....

Are you saying that people of faith in God, belive that the atheist isn't being honest?? That addresses the question and points out that "Faith Based" are being discriminating against atheists... Just as well as an atheist discriminating against Faith Based religions..

Or are you saying that that when a atheist "arrogantly" claims there is no God they are stupid... and they are foolish?

Because those same sentences can be reversed to claim that the faith based people are just as foolish...

You could easily argue that the atheist is being more honest than the faith based person as faith requires a belife that mostly can't be proven.

Which is where the argument starts...

And it's not really a fair question because many Americans are atheists.

Agnostic atheists and Agnostic theists... are two different things... I would think that you would know that...
Old 05-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
the question was ...

Are you saying that people of faith in God, belive that the atheist isn't being honest?? That addresses the question and points out that "Faith Based" are being discriminating against atheists... Just as well as an atheist discriminating against Faith Based religions..

Or are you saying that that when a atheist "arrogantly" claims there is no God they are stupid... and they are foolish?

Because those same sentences can be reversed to claim that the faith based people are just as foolish...

You could easily argue that the atheist is being more honest than the faith based person as faith requires a belife that mostly can't be proven.

Agnostic atheists and Agnostic theists... are two different things... I would think that you would know that...
Thanks for your opinions Spiritwalker. Even though you took the "bait", I have no intention of setting a hook or reeling you in. Also, thanks for your response to ChrisF, you said it nicer than I probably would have. I'm still a work in progress.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:53 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
the question was ...

I am not going to justify the foolish drivel with a comment. You have no idea what you are talking about. You are just trying to get something started and I do not feel like playing your games.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:57 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Thanks for your opinions Spiritwalker. Even though you took the "bait", I have no intention of setting a hook or reeling you in. Also, thanks for your response to ChrisF, you said it nicer than I probably would have. I'm still a work in progress.
Buzz you have always been open and honest with me in your post so I see no need to make a mountain of a mole hill if you know what I mean. Where on earth SW got the state to claim MOST Americans are Atheist is beyond me. I know many people do not hate anything except for Biblical Christianity. Tolerance is pretty common for most beliefs but those of people who follow the bible. So unless SW can cite a source that most Americans are Atheist I really think this is a moot point and what has been siad already can sum up nothing more than our personal opinions on the subject