Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 10-24-2011, 06:47 AM

Why America Must Not Follow Europe by Daniel Hannan
Old 10-24-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
Why America Must Not Follow Europe by Daniel Hannan
Please give your opinion when you've finished his book, PTM. I am a big fan of Daniel Hannan, he's such a wonderful speaker, very intelligent and and has such common sense! So I was really looking forward to reading The New Road to Serfdom; you can imagine I was surprised to find it a little boring and repetitive. Well, not every great orator translates to a great writer! I'll be interested to hear what you think of his latest.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 10-24-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
Heck yeah!
I'm through the first two and gearing up to read the 3rd.
I'm now about 30 pages from finishing the 3rd book "A Storm of Swords". The way this one is endinging I'll no doubt be jumping right into the 4th book ASAP.

[
Old 10-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Trucking through The Hobbit right now & afterwards will (naturally) move onto the Big 3. Also have a couple of the Christopher Tolkien books that I haven't yet read, so we'll see how his abilities as a compiler of notes stack up.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:23 PM

When I'm feeling a little down, I read The Hobbit or the trilogy. They are like old friends.

I was so excited when The Children of Hurin came out in 2007. I see from my bookmark I didn't get past page 37. Maybe I should give it another go...

Ditto for The Silmarillion.

pssst, PTM, I have a first American edition...

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 PM

The Prodigal God - Recovering the Heart of the Christian Faith by Timothy Keller
Old 10-24-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Please give your opinion when you've finished his book, PTM. I am a big fan of Daniel Hannan, he's such a wonderful speaker, very intelligent and and has such common sense! So I was really looking forward to reading The New Road to Serfdom; you can imagine I was surprised to find it a little boring and repetitive. Well, not every great orator translates to a great writer! I'll be interested to hear what you think of his latest.
It is more of a booklet than a book. It is part of the Encounter Broadside series: "Uniting an 18th-century sense of political urgency and rhetorical wit (think The Federalist Papers, Common Sense) with 21st-century technology and channels of distribution, Encounter Broadsides offer indispensable ammunition for intelligent debate on the critical issues of our time . . . Read them in a sitting and come away knowing the best we can hope for and the worst we must fear."

It is only 50 pages so it is difficult to be repetitive in that short a time. I found it to be insightful. For example, here is his take on the American Revolution:

"Later accounts of the revolution generally portrayed it as a national uprising - as, indeed, a War of Independence. But this interpretation depends on a very selective reading of what the patriot leaders were arguing at the time. They saw themselves not as revolutionaries but as conservatives. In their own minds, all they were asking for was what they had always assumed to be their birthright as Englishmen. The real revolutionaries, as they saw it, were those in the Georgian Court who were seeking to impose a new settlement, in contravention of the ancient constitution: one that would tilt the balance from legislature to executive and open the door to oppressive government."
Old 10-24-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
When I'm feeling a little down, I read The Hobbit or the trilogy. They are like old friends.

I was so excited when The Children of Hurin came out in 2007. I see from my bookmark I didn't get past page 37. Maybe I should give it another go...

I'm envious.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 PM

Raven - The Untold Story of the Rev. Jim Jones and His People by Tim Reiterman with John Jacobs
Old 10-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:

I've only ever made it through the first little bit of the Silmarillion, so I'm kinda excited to try again.

I had never heard of Children of Hurin until I was in the library grabbing the 4 off the shelf & I grabbed that one up, too. I'm pretty stoked to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
I'm envious.
Yeah, me too!