Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 07-19-2013, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post

I just started this book with a study group at my church . All woman's group of course
That sounds like a unique subject, please give your recommendation when you finish it...

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 08-07-2013, 01:56 AM

This is written by the brother of Christopher Hitchens. Very good so far.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:38 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

I've always been a HUGE Orson Scott Card fan, most particularly Ender's Game & the rest of his Enderverse. I recently listened to a book of 3 short-story "prequels" if you will:

This, of course, got me all fired up to go back & listen to Ender's Game again (this is about the 4th or 5th time I've heard this story):

After I finished that, I couldn't stop. I went & downloaded the next three books (chronologically in the Enderverse) & burned through them in about a week:

I absolutely love this guy & his writing style. The Ender's Game is very much sci-fi, but the other books are (if you follow Ender's story) much more philosophical or (if you read the Shadow series, as I did) political/military intrigue. If you want to hear a really interesting take on the modern political landscape, I highly recommend his two-part Empire series:

Also, you've probably noticed that all the "book" covers I've shown here are from Audible.com. I've just recently started using them & I'm a huge fan. It's part of Amazon, but it's all audio entertainment: books on tape, old radio drama, stand up comedies, the White House Tapes & a ton more stuff. You buy them & download them to any of your devices you wish. It's awesome, * I highly recommend it.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Also, you've probably noticed that all the "book" covers I've shown here are from Audible.com. I've just recently started using them & I'm a huge fan. It's part of Amazon, but it's all audio entertainment: books on tape, old radio drama, stand up comedies, the White House Tapes & a ton more stuff. You buy them & download them to any of your devices you wish. It's awesome, * I highly recommend it.
I stumbled across a sale recently on a few audible.com books. If you "buy" the free Kindle copies of several classics books you can receive the audible readings for free. Follow the links: http://dealnews.com/Free-Audiobooks-...re/805362.html
Old 08-17-2013, 10:32 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

I love the Reacher novels!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:34 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
I stumbled across a sale recently on a few audible.com books. If you "buy" the free Kindle copies of several classics books you can receive the audible readings for free. Follow the links: http://dealnews.com/Free-Audiobooks-...re/805362.html
Thanks for the info! I just finished:

And am now listening to:

(again)
Old 08-19-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Thanks for the info! I just finished:

And am now listening to:

(again)
Here is a link to a free $5 voucher for Audible.com: http://dealnews.com/Audible.com-5-Cr...ee/829941.html
Grab it before they are all claimed.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:32 PM

VCU RamFan, have you tried Librivox? They have free audio books read by volunteers rather than professional voice actors. I tried to get Tyburn to volunteer to read with his accent.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:28 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Old 11-11-2013, 12:02 AM