Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 12-25-2012, 06:35 AM

Old 01-07-2013, 12:59 AM

Old 01-07-2013, 01:53 AM

PTM, how about some a review, particularly the gigantic McGinnes book? (I take it that is the follow-up to Fatal Vision?). I'd also like to know what you thought of the Lileks and Summerscale books.

I just recalled that McGinnis is the same guy who stalked S. Palin for a story. I had read Fatal Vision but have zero interest in anything he has to say anymore. I'd still like to hear about the other 2 books though, PTM, I was just looking at Amazon and see that the Lileks book is hard to find - my library doesn't have it either!

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16

Last edited by flo; 01-07-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 AM

I just finished and am now reading .

Both quick reads but the first one was difficult due to subject matter. I would highly recommend it. I just started the second one but love Wolfe's writing style!

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 01-07-2013, 05:45 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

At the age of twelve, an orphan named Will Cooper is given a horse, a key, and a map and is sent on a journey through the uncharted wilderness of the Cherokee Nation. Will is a bound boy, obliged to run a remote Indian trading post. As he fulfills his lonesome duty, Will finds a father in Bear, a Cherokee chief, and is adopted by him and his people, developing relationships that ultimately forge Willís character. All the while, his love of Claire, the enigmatic and captivating charge of volatile and powerful Featherstone, will forever rule Willís heart. In a voice filled with both humor and yearning, Will tells of a lifelong search for home, the hunger for fortune and adventure, the rebuilding of a trampled culture, and above all an enduring pursuit of passion.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
PTM, how about some a review, particularly the gigantic McGinnes book? (I take it that is the follow-up to Fatal Vision?). I'd also like to know what you thought of the Lileks and Summerscale books.

I just recalled that McGinnis is the same guy who stalked S. Palin for a story. I had read Fatal Vision but have zero interest in anything he has to say anymore. I'd still like to hear about the other 2 books though, PTM, I was just looking at Amazon and see that the Lileks book is hard to find - my library doesn't have it either!
Final Vision is a Kindle Single. Kindle Singles are short e-books about the length of a long magazine article, pamphlet, or booklet. They sell for about $2 or $3 rather than the cost of a regular e-book, which is usually $10 or $12. Jeffrey MacDonald has been appealing in the courts for years and this fall there was an important hearing. Final Vison refutes the arguments put forward by MacDonald and his defense team. There was a female drug addict who confessed to being present during the killings. She was a pathological liar who told different stories to different people. She died in the 80's from cirrhosis. MacDonald claims that she and her friends killed his family. The judge should make a ruling this spring. It sounds as if this case will not be finalized for 2-3 more years.

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher was good. It is about a child murder that occurred in an upper-middle-class home in rural Victorian England. The case was investigated by a Detective Whicher, one of the original detectives of Scotland yard. It has been on several lists of the best in crime-related books.

I am only about 1/3 of the way through the Lilek's book. It was only $3 at the Kindle store so I decided to give it a chance. It is about a failed journalist who inherits an old mansion and gets accidentally drawn into several poisoning cases perpetrated by a leftist terrorist organization called the AIL (Alimentary Instruction League). I was curious because it is based in Minnesota and I have ties there. Lileks tends to use a lot of imaginative similes and metaphors and tries to introduce humorous elements. It can be hit or miss at times but I'm interested in seeing how the story plays out.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:40 AM
Stump Rules!

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post

At the age of twelve, an orphan named Will Cooper is given a horse, a key, and a map and is sent on a journey through the uncharted wilderness of the Cherokee Nation. Will is a bound boy, obliged to run a remote Indian trading post. As he fulfills his lonesome duty, Will finds a father in Bear, a Cherokee chief, and is adopted by him and his people, developing relationships that ultimately forge Willís character. All the while, his love of Claire, the enigmatic and captivating charge of volatile and powerful Featherstone, will forever rule Willís heart. In a voice filled with both humor and yearning, Will tells of a lifelong search for home, the hunger for fortune and adventure, the rebuilding of a trampled culture, and above all an enduring pursuit of passion.
Oooh, that one sounds really good! I'm going to have to get that soon.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 01-09-2013, 01:36 PM

every winter we read the girls some little house on the prairie books, right now we are reading farmer boy, the story of almanzos childhood, we read a chapter every night after suppertime

i personally try to read the narnia series every winter but i don't know that i could get it done this year

any one read the lotr books, or tolkeins other works? are you supposed to read hobbit first?
Old 01-09-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
every winter we read the girls some little house on the prairie books, right now we are reading farmer boy, the story of almanzos childhood, we read a chapter every night after suppertime

i personally try to read the narnia series every winter but i don't know that i could get it done this year

any one read the lotr books, or tolkeins other works? are you supposed to read hobbit first?
i think i'd read the hobbit first .. then the trilogy ... i always read things or watch things outta order and then wish i'd done it in order .. except star wars ...