Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 05-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Just finished reading God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew:

It's about a Dutch missionary who smuggled Bibles behind the Iron Curtain during the 1950s and 1960s. Excellent book and one that is spiritually convicting as well. We tend to take for granted how easily we can find a Bible here in the US, not realizing that there are people out there even today who would risk their lives just for a single page from the Bible.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I read to learn, so...

Old 06-01-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Just finished:

This is at least the third time I've read this book & I love it more & more each time I read it!

[/IMG]
I just read it, it was very good. Now I remember why Agatha Christie was the paragon for mystery writing!

I also started Judgment Ridge but it kind of freaked me out so I will have to request it again from the library when I'm in a more secure state of mind.

Misused words also sounds like a good read, did you enjoy it, PTM?

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 06-01-2012, 01:59 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I just read it, it was very good. Now I remember why Agatha Christie was the paragon for mystery writing!

I also started Judgment Ridge but it kind of freaked me out so I will have to request it again from the library when I'm in a more secure state of mind.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:54 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I'm almost finished with "No Angel" by Jay Dobyns, which I picked up at the airport a few weeks ago. Dobyns was the undercover ATF agent who infiltrated the Hells Angels in Arizona in the early 2000's. His story was featured on an episode of Gangland and on a National Geographic special called "Inside Outlaw Bikers", but the book goes into greater detail than shows possibly can in 45 minutes of TV time.

Here is a youtube link to part one of "Inside Outlaw Bikers", the other parts are in the related videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38OCWEeFnY
Old 06-01-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I'm almost finished with "No Angel" by Jay Dobyns, which I picked up at the airport a few weeks ago. Dobyns was the undercover ATF agent who infiltrated the Hells Angels in Arizona in the early 2000's. His story was featured on an episode of Gangland and on a National Geographic special called "Inside Outlaw Bikers", but the book goes into greater detail than shows possibly can in 45 minutes of TV time.

Here is a youtube link to part one of "Inside Outlaw Bikers", the other parts are in the related videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38OCWEeFnY
Would you recommend it?

Old 06-01-2012, 08:12 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Would you recommend it?
Absolutely. It's definitely an interesting read for anybody who is into that sort of stuff. Obviously, for some people they can watch the documentaries on Gangland or Nat-Geo and that's more than enough information to satisfy them on the subject. While the book contains a lot more specific details on the investigation directly from Dobyns himself, some are relevant, some not. Personally, I have always been fascinated with stuff about outlaw bikers, mobsters, and things of that nature. I decided to buy a book to read on my flight because I didn't bring my laptop along, and being that I was already familiar with the story about Dobyns and the Hells Angels in Arizona, I just bought it when I saw it at the airport bookstore. I have also gotten a more personal kick out of reading this book because he makes a lot of references to local places I know and I am around everyday (at one point he even mentions the wal-mart I just came home from ) He was also a WR for the Arizona Wildcats before becoming an agent, so he's an AZ guy.

All in all, it's worth the read. It's definitely not all sugar coated and made out to paint him as this knight in shining armor (although at times it may seem that way). As the book is appropriately titled, he was "no angel" when going through those times, and it's put an enormous strain on his family to this day with a barrage of death threats and he even had his house burned down in 2008. Even if you don't get a chance to read the book, the guy has had an interesting life and is worth checking out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Dobyns

EDIT: Here are a couple videos I thought would be interesting to add. Last year, Jay Dobyns and fellow ATF agent Vince Cefalu blew the whistle on the ATF for basically handing guns over to the cartels in Mexico, and one of the guns killed a border patrol agent. I know this is old news, but it's related to Dobyns, and the other agent, Vince Cefalu, is mentioned in "No Angel" as being one of the agents Dobyns had worked undercover with many times over the years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNkkRIE8vv4

In this second video, Dobyns talk a little about his early days with ATF on the Waco Texas raid, and the Oklahoma City bombing. Interesting stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=n4Gx-8hFvbY

Last edited by J.B.; 06-01-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Absolutely. It's definitely an interesting read for anybody who is into that sort of stuff. Obviously, for some people they can watch the documentaries on Gangland or Nat-Geo and that's more than enough information to satisfy them on the subject. While the book contains a lot more specific details on the investigation directly from Dobyns himself, some are relevant, some not. Personally, I have always been fascinated with stuff about outlaw bikers, mobsters, and things of that nature. I decided to buy a book to read on my flight because I didn't bring my laptop along, and being that I was already familiar with the story about Dobyns and the Hells Angels in Arizona, I just bought it when I saw it at the airport bookstore. I have also gotten a more personal kick out of reading this book because he makes a lot of references to local places I know and I am around everyday (at one point he even mentions the wal-mart I just came home from ) He was also a WR for the Arizona Wildcats before becoming an agent, so he's an AZ guy.

All in all, it's worth the read. It's definitely not all sugar coated and made out to paint him as this knight in shining armor (although at times it may seem that way). As the book is appropriately titled, he was "no angel" when going through those times, and it's put an enormous strain on his family to this day with a barrage of death threats and he even had his house burned down in 2008. Even if you don't get a chance to read the book, the guy has had an interesting life and is worth checking out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Dobyns

EDIT: Here are a couple videos I thought would be interesting to add. Last year, Jay Dobyns and fellow ATF agent Vince Cefalu blew the whistle on the ATF for basically handing guns over to the cartels in Mexico, and one of the guns killed a border patrol agent. I know this is old news, but it's related to Dobyns, and the other agent, Vince Cefalu, is mentioned in "No Angel" as being one of the agents Dobyns had worked undercover with many times over the years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNkkRIE8vv4

In this second video, Dobyns talk a little about his early days with ATF on the Waco Texas raid, and the Oklahoma City bombing. Interesting stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=n4Gx-8hFvbY
Wow, that youtube video with Napolitano is almost shocking in how frank their comments are about ATF leadership. I wish they had testified in front of Issa's panel - implementing Fast & Furious was a terrible decision, Agt. Terry lost his life over it and if the media cared there would be consequences all the way to the leadership of the DoJ, in my opinion.

Anyway, my library has it so I requested it, sounds like a really good book, thank you for the info.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Flo, Grammar Girl has a website that covers the same material for free: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/

It is a good "bathroom" read if you get my meaning. Quick, short chapters.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:26 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Wow, that youtube video with Napolitano is almost shocking in how frank their comments are about ATF leadership. I wish they had testified in front of Issa's panel - implementing Fast & Furious was a terrible decision, Agt. Terry lost his life over it and if the media cared there would be consequences all the way to the leadership of the DoJ, in my opinion.

Anyway, my library has it so I requested it, sounds like a really good book, thank you for the info.
Yeah, Dobyns and Chefalu have been ATF whistleblowers for years, and they have paid a big professional price for that, on top of all the blood, sweat, and tears they put in on the streets for so many years. It's a shame.