Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Miss Foxy

Default Cesar Gracie thoughts on Renzo training Gsp

“Renzo’s like a brother to me. You gotta understand, we grew up together. We really did. So nothing’s gonna change [between us]. People try to make a big thing about it. I did have a talk with Renzo and I said, “Renzo, you’re training a guy that doesn’t represent your academy, he represents another academy, to fight against a Gracie Academy. It doesn’t make sense to me. It just doesn’t Georges is a great guy.From al accounts, he’s respectful and a decent human being from what I’m understanding. And I said to Renzo, ‘If you had a talk with Georges St-Pierre and said, you’re one of our black belts, you’re going to have to represent us,’” Gracie said. “I think he would do it in a heartbeat.I did have that discussion with him, but I really don’t know what came about with it. People try to make a big thing about it, but I’m an old school guy. I really am. When Georges St-Pierre was training at Renzo’s to fight Matt Serra, who I think was the first black belt Renzo gave out in the U.S… I couldn’t imagine a guy coming in and training with me to beat one of my black belts. I just couldn’t do it. I don’t know exactly what they’re doing over there with that, but it’s just not my way. I’m old school and I’m gonna die old school. That’s just how I am. So I made my feelings known to Renzo about it and I don’t think my guys appreciate it. Frankie Edgar’s there too and he’s a really great kid. He came out to my place and he’s a really hard worker. He came out to train for the BJ Penn fight. I refused to have my guys train with BJ for that fight and they had trained with him for the Florian fight and maybe one fight before that fight when BJ needed help and was trying to get his career back on track. Nick Diaz was training with BJ Penn and there was good sparring. They called us up to train with him for the last Edgar fight and we said no, because he was fighting a kid who represented the Gracie Academy in New York. I’m old school, but now with this fight…It’s not about teaching a guy, because they’re professional athletes and they’re gonna have to fight. They didn’t grow up together or nothing like that. But me being an old school guy, I just look at it like you gotta carry our flag to battle and if you can’t carry our flag to battle, you aren’t training with us. It’s just how I look at it.”
Old 04-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Miss Foxy

I did not even know Bj and Nick trained together for that fight.. WTH where was I at? Cesar makes sense, but it is what it is.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:13 PM
County Mike

Cesar needs to shut up and accept it. There are too many Gracie academies to think two fighters from DIFFERENT Gracie schools won't have to fight each other. He should just be glad that his family was able to help TWO fighters reach such a height.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:21 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Cesar needs to shut up and accept it. There are too many Gracie academies to think two fighters from DIFFERENT Gracie schools won't have to fight each other. He should just be glad that his family was able to help TWO fighters reach such a height.
that's so true ...
Old 04-29-2011, 08:59 AM

He is only making a point - he aint forcing it on people. I understand what he is saying.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:41 PM

I understand his point, and agree with him.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:12 AM
atomdanger

Eh, who cares?
I think GSP has been working with Renzo about as long as Shields has Cesar.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
Eh, who cares?
I think GSP has been working with Renzo about as long as Shields has Cesar.
Wrong. Cesar has been working with Jake for years. He was one of the first 3 to earn a black belt under Cesar..
Old 05-01-2011, 05:27 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Wrong. Cesar has been working with Jake for years. He was one of the first 3 to earn a black belt under Cesar..
I don't think I am wrong.

(Jake isn't one of the first three, he is one of ONLY three)

Either way, its close, GSP has been going to Renzo for like 8 years or something.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
I don't think I am wrong.

(Jake isn't one of the first three, he is one of ONLY three)

Either way, its close, GSP has been going to Renzo for like 8 years or something.
Cesar started training him in 2001.