Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-01-2011, 05:44 PM
atomdanger

Default UFC 129 sets attendance and live-gate records: 55,724 for $12.1 million

Quote:
http://mmajunkie.com/news/23448/ufc-...-1-million.mma

TORONTO As expected Saturday's UFC 129 event proved a record-breaker and set new UFC and North American MMA records with a 55,724 attendance and $12.075 million gate ($11.5 million Canadian).

The event took place at Toronto's Rogers Centre.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) learned out of the totals in the post-event press conference.

The event, which was the UFC's first stadium show, saw its main card air on pay-per-view, and preliminary-card fights aired on Spike TV and streamed on Facebook. A UFC Fan Expo event preceded the show, which featured welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre vs. Jake Shields and featherweight champ Jose Aldo vs. Mark Hominick in the co-headliners.

The previous records were $5,397,300 (UFC 66) and 23,152 (UFC 124).
Doesn't seem like a surprise.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:36 PM
logrus

I think after yesterday Gsps draws will decline.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:39 PM
KevinD

Gsp draws may decline, but overall attendance in the Toronto are will remain strong. The Toronto and surrounding areas, all of southern Ontario are extremely passionate about MMA.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Still waiting for them to come to the Dallas Cowboys stadium. I have full confidence saying ticket sales would exceed 100,000. Perfect venue for Lesnar/Velasquez II (providing Lesnar beats JDS) or if the megafight happens between GSP and Silva.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:52 PM
KevinD

I have been thinking of that matchup in Texas as well. If Toronto had a 100k seat stadium, I would guarentee that it would have sold out. I am not sure if Dallas could pull that off.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
I have been thinking of that matchup in Texas as well. If Toronto had a 100k seat stadium, I would guarentee that it would have sold out. I am not sure if Dallas could pull that off.
2nd most populous state in the country, 4th largest metroplex in the U.S., and they have plenty of Mexican fighters to load on the card (more than 50% of TX population is Hispanic). I don't think it'd be that hard.

Shoot, Manny Pacquiao is a foreigner and twice exceeded 40,000 fans there, without any big dancing partners (I guess Margarito is kind of a big name, but he disgraced the sport so he lost a lot of fans).
Old 05-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
2nd most populous state in the country, 4th largest metroplex in the U.S., and they have plenty of Mexican fighters to load on the card (more than 50% of TX population is Hispanic). I don't think it'd be that hard.

Shoot, Manny Pacquiao is a foreigner and twice exceeded 40,000 fans there, without any big dancing partners (I guess Margarito is kind of a big name, but he disgraced the sport so he lost a lot of fans).
As of the 2010 US Census, the racial distribution in Texas is as follows: 70.4% White American, 11.8% African American, 3.8% are Asian American, 0.7% are American Indian, .1% are Native Hawaiin or Pacific Islander Alone, 2.7% are Two or More Races, and 10.5% of Some Other Race Alone. Hispanics (of any race) are 37.6%, while Non-Hispanic Whites are 45.3%.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post

As of the 2010 US Census, the racial distribution in Texas is as follows: 70.4% White American, 11.8% African American, 3.8% are Asian American, 0.7% are American Indian, .1% are Native Hawaiin or Pacific Islander Alone, 2.7% are Two or More Races, and 10.5% of Some Other Race Alone. Hispanics (of any race) are 37.6%, while Non-Hispanic Whites are 45.3%.
Weird, the news is WRONG, they are always saying TX is more than 50% Hispanic.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Weird, the news is WRONG, they are always saying TX is more than 50% Hispanic.
You just hate us Mexicans! lol. J/k Ugg this is worse than an Iron Maiden (gsp siggie)...
Old 05-09-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
You just hate us Mexicans! lol. J/k Ugg this is worse than an Iron Maiden (gsp siggie)...
LOL, hate is a much stronger word. I only ask that any immigrant pay taxes on what they earn and learn English, oh, and don't expect us to conform to your customs and beliefs. Wanna live here? Ours comes first!

Anyways, I think 100k is possible in Dallas if they stack the cards and promote it correctly.