Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-10-2009, 04:32 AM
Administrator

Default To my special friend Gordon, 25 DVDs: Obama gives Brown a set of classic movies.

Can someone say "cheapskate?"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...Wizard-Oz.html

In summary, the British Prime Minister visited the US and, aside from getting snubbed by the media, he presented President Obama with an ornamental pen holder made from the timbers of the Victorian anti-slave ship HMS Gannet. A very unique and well thought out gift and what did Obama give to the Prime Minister in return? 25 DVDs including the following titles:

Hmmm, seems a little cheap and thoughtless to me. Overall, a pretty crappy way to treat our greatest ally in the world. If Obama is this inept in dealing with our allies, then how's he supposed to make friends out of our enemies?

Glenn Beck described it pretty well, this is a portion of a transcript from his show:
Quote:
He gave a gift of a bunch of videos. Well, okay. That's usually not what the President gives. Usually it is a gift to the head of state is something of significance, something of real importance, something that signifies how deep our friendship goes and also says something about our country and our resources and, you know, our heritage. To me it's appropriate that Barack Obama, when he looks to what could be a statement gift that I can give the leader of our greatest ally, what is something that says everything you need to know about America, he goes and gets a bunch of DVDs from movies that we've made. I mean, it's... and he didn't even get the movies that they can watch over in England. It's not the same technology. So all of the movies that Gordon Brown was given as a gift from our president he can't even watch.
For the full transcript: http://www.glennbeck.com/content/art...cle/198/22474/

Another article about this story from the UK:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...lms/article.do
Old 03-10-2009, 04:37 AM
Moose

Looks like the top 25 movies of all time.

If he wanted to be really cheap, he could've just sent an autographed copy of one of his books.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
Looks like the top 25 movies of all time.

If he wanted to be really cheap, he could've just sent an autographed copy of one of his books.
It's not. Because Titanic is still the number one movie of all time and it's not on that list. Also American DVDs won't play over in England. So, unless they imported a bunch of British DVDs just to present to the Prime Minister, then the gift is useless in a practical sense and that only leaves the thought behind it. Clearly there wasn't any thought behind this gift, especially in comparison to what Brown presented to Obama.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:56 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

How lame. You'd think somebody would have pointed out that we use Region 1 DVD's while he uses Region 2 DVD's. Perhaps Obama should provide him with a Region 1 DVD player to go along with the gift as well. He could simply add it as part of the bailout.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:07 AM
bradwright

first you guys are complaining Obama is spending to much and now your saying he isn't spending enough,
make up your minds,which one is it?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:07 AM
huan

but guys, Obama is the most technologically advanced POTUS ever.

o wait...
Old 03-10-2009, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright
first you guys are complaining Obama is spending to much and now your saying he isn't spending enough,
make up your minds,which one is it?
Well, it's not the money, it's the thought that counts and clearly there was no thought. There's no evidence that Prime Minister Brown is a movie buff. Also, 25 DVDs would run about $500 with current prices. They could have put that towards something a little more appropriate for our greatest ally. British soldiers are dying right alongside Americans in Iraq and Afghanistan, this gift combined with the lack of press coverage for the PM's visit, is a slap in the face to Britain.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:16 AM
Chuck

I think it's pretty well known that I don't like Hussein even a little bit but even I think jumping on this is a bit petty.

We don't have the slightest idea if the DVD's were Region 1 or 2 so no need to exaggerate a mistake that might not have been made in the first place.

And we can't assume that ol' Hussein was going store to store in the local mall looking for that little something special. Some aid to Hussein spoke to some aid of Gordon and they exchanged some sort of info..

Hell if my screwed up family (the in-laws) can drop little hints about what they want for gifts them I'm sure 2 world leaders exchanged some sort of info...

My .02 worth.............
Old 03-10-2009, 05:21 AM
Administrator

Well, there is more to the snub than the DVDs, there was also a statement made on how the Obama Administration doesn't consider Britain to be any more important than the other nations in the UN. Again, for a nation that has fought and died alongside us over the last 7 years, that's a terrible slap in the face.

I'm also interested to see Dave's take on this.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:22 AM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Well, it's not the money, it's the thought that counts and clearly there was no thought. There's no evidence that Prime Minister Brown is a movie buff. Also, 25 DVDs would run about $500 with current prices. They could have put that towards something a little more appropriate for our greatest ally. British soldiers are dying right alongside Americans in Iraq and Afghanistan, this gift combined with the lack of press coverage for the PM's visit, is a slap in the face to Britain.
relax Nate,you will give yourself a heart attack,besides i was just kidding around a bit.