Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 04-28-2011, 03:53 PM
BamaGrits84

Default Help And Prayers

Our state desperately needs help from anyone in the south that can help in rescue efforts. Facebook page "Toomer's for Tide" is posting great specifics on areas of help needed including people with chainsaws, ATVs, and experiences hunters who can help with rescuse in rural areas so if you know someone in the south please encourage them to donate their weekend to helping. Check out this facebook page to find out exactly how help is being coordinated.

The Red Cross also have a number set up where you can text to donate $10. A ton of misplaced collge kids and lower income areas are going to need help rebuilding their lives.

And finally this saddest part of it all the desperate pleas from family members looking for loved ones - these people need prayers. It is assumed that many people are trapped in area where fallen trees are preventing access and who cannot get calls out for help. Pray that many more rescues are made than recoveries. If you desire to pray by name for those missing you can find a list of a few at http://tuscaloosa.myfoxal.com/news/n...g-people/78839

Last edited by BamaGrits84; 04-28-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Miss Foxy

Will do.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:42 PM

We're praying, Bama. Our hearts are with the people who have gone through this awful devastation.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Twinsmama

Oh my gosh I started reading the missing people and started crying. there are whole families missing. i can't imagine if it were my family. I hope most are alright and they just can't get to the phone to notify people they are.

We have 4wheeler and utvs. gps' and all that hunting stuff. i'm calling my husband to see if we can go help. if we leave in the morning and come back tuesday i'd probably be okay missing work.

bama do you know where the volunteers are staying?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsmama View Post
Oh my gosh I started reading the missing people and started crying. there are whole families missing. i can't imagine if it were my family. I hope most are alright and they just can't get to the phone to notify people they are.

We have 4wheeler and utvs. gps' and all that hunting stuff. i'm calling my husband to see if we can go help. if we leave in the morning and come back tuesday i'd probably be okay missing work.

That is so nice of you. If you go I wish you a safe travel!!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Twinsmama

bama where did you see they are requesting volunteers? i can't find it. i don't want to show up and them turn me away becasue i don't live there. i think we can be ready to go by the morning. i want to make sure they want us before we drive all the way up there. i feel like we should go can't help thinking that could be us during hurricane season.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:13 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:

it depends on what area you want to help in. Elmore County is the closest to the south that was hit, If you want to go to the Tuscaloosa area I would say check out the facebook page Toomer's for Tuscaloosa because there is so much information and you can post and someone up there will answer. Being that you have medical experience you might have the upper hand in getting put in a area where search and rescue is going on. Try this website: https://agencytools.uwca.org/stormvolunteer/.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:18 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
bama where did you see they are requesting volunteers? i can't find it. i don't want to show up and them turn me away becasue i don't live there. i think we can be ready to go by the morning. i want to make sure they want us before we drive all the way up there. i feel like we should go can't help thinking that could be us during hurricane season.
I heard the call for those with ATVs and chainsaws on the news. You can try calling the Tuscaloosa sherrif's office at (205) 752-0616.

I just posted on the FB page doing most of the coorinating so give me aabout 30 minues and check your messages on here.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:24 PM
BamaGrits84

I say this for an easier way folks from other states can help - 3 schools were distroyed and my son is going to do a Reading from Rubble book drive once we get a better idea on the specific needs (post search and rescue) so I'll post info where people can send used and new books as these schools rebuild over the summer.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:37 PM

Saying prayers, Bama. I thought of you and Denise when I saw this on the news.