Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 04-27-2011, 03:21 PM
BamaGrits84

Default Schools Out Early Over Weather

I just have to know if school systems in other states let kids out early when there is a threat of bad weather. It seems so stupid to me.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
I just have to know if school systems in other states let kids out early when there is a threat of bad weather. It seems so stupid to me.
Not here in California unless you live in the mountains and have snow days...
Old 04-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

When I was a kid, they wouldn't let out just because of a threat, but as soon as that first snowflake hit the ground, they were throwing us out like the building was on fire!
Old 04-27-2011, 03:51 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
When I was a kid, they wouldn't let out just because of a threat, but as soon as that first snowflake hit the ground, they were throwing us out like the building was on fire!
The only weather day I ever remember getting as a kid came when it got so cold the pipe burst at the school. Never snowed much when I was little either. But with my kids every time there is a possibility of snow or ice they cancel school and it never gets bad.

But I was really talking about schools closing over the possibilty of tornadic activity.

A few years ago a school in Alabam decided to close over an appoaching line of storms that cause tornados in Mississippi. Well the school waited and released kids once the weather got bad and a tornado hit the build a few minutes after dismissal cause 16 students and teachers to die. But all 16 where in the gym which they were walking through to get to the parking lot to avoid the rain. Some kids who were still in the school build took cover in the hall and only minors injuries from debris flying around occured. Had school not been let out all the kids would have been in the hall - none in the gym - and no one would have been injured. Well that horrible event has lead schools to closing at every little possible threat. I think it is way more dangerous than keeping the kids at school.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:16 PM
logrus

We have had schools close because of the heat before , the cold and the snow.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Administrator

I went to school in Santa Fe, NM and it could -20 F outside with 6 inches of snow on the ground and school would still go on.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
When we lived in Colorado, they didn't shut the schools for anything. 6 feet of snow? No problem!

Here in WA state, they shut down a couple times a year for snow/icy roads.

PS - I just noticed your location, Ben.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:34 PM
County Mike

If the forecast is showing a strong chance that driving the kids home at 3pm instead of noon will be a lot more dangerous, I don't have a problem with it.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:42 PM
rearnakedchoke

we had one snow day i think this year .. we had a lot of snow, but the only day they shut down was the morning of the supposed "storm of the century" that never happened ... it was for the safety of the kids and the driving ... if it is really cold, they just don't let the kids go out for recess ...
Old 04-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Twinsmama

we have hurricane days. they already have about 3 days are tenative off days but if we end up taking a hurricane day the kids have to go those days instead of the being closed.