Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 04-25-2011, 11:29 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Former WWE Star Batista Says Long-Rumored Strikeforce Deal Is Dead

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:

A long-rumored deal that would bring former professional wrestling star Dave Batista to mixed martial arts under the Strikeforce banner is now dead.

The 42-year-old, whose real last name is Bautista, quit wrestling in mid-2010 and shortly afterward said he was interested in transitioning into MMA. After months of ongoing negotiations though, Batista told TMZ that talks with Strikeforce came to a close shortly after UFC parent company Zuffa bought Strikeforce.

"It didn't break down until they sold out" he said. "I had no idea. Nobody ever said anything. Scott Coker never said anything. We had a deal on the table. We were just trying to fix a few things and next thing I know they got bought out. That's how it goes."

Batista, who said he was "real disappointed" by the development, said he had spoken to other organizations but had his "heart set on Strikeforce."

As far back as last October, Batista told a Washington, DC radio station that the two sides were "real close" to a deal, had agreed on money, and that he was hoping to make his debut in March 2011. He also announced that he would train with Team Cesar Gracie to prepare for his first match. Strikeforce president Scott Coker later confirmed ongoing dialogue, but that timeframe came and went without a finalized deal, and now it appears he's unlikely ever to fight in major MMA.

Strikeforce officials declined to comment on the report.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Guess he'll have to fight in some small org. or go back to Pro Rassleing! Now if he gets a few good wins in the small times he may get a chance to try UFC . However I think he's getting into MMA a little to late for UFC level. If memory serves I read that he's already in his forty's!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Chris F

He has been training a long time a lot longer than Brock did. He just lacks the foundation to be UFC quality. He is not a world class wrestler and his grappling is very green. His striking is his strength. Any low card HW would stop Dave. He is better than James Tooney @ MMA so maybe Dana will use him to make some $$$$.