Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 04-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Nick Diaz issues open challenge to Boxing world

From MMAMania.com:

Quote:
If you call them out, they will come.
Current Strikeforce Welterweight Champion Nick Diaz has been openly campaigning for a boxing match in lieu of a return to mixed martial arts and there are a couple of pugilists more than ready to oblige him.

Former super middleweight world champion Jeff Lacy would put his fist in Diaz's mouth for the right price and Sergio Martinez, a former WBC super welterweight champion, is apparently ready to do the same.
According to a press release today from Don Chagrin, Diaz's boxing promoter, he will actively be seeking a fight for the fall of 2011, saying:
Quote:
It's the type of match-up that will undoubtedly shake-up both the MMA and boxing world for years to come when Nick Diaz steps into the ring. Nick is the first MMA fighter that I've seen throw punches like a boxer. That's what got my attention when I decided to sign him. Diaz can make the cross-over to boxing.
Where there's smoke, there's fire and there are clearly enough interested parties to make Diaz's boxing aspirations come to fruition.

However, his contract with Strikeforce may not be as clear cut as it's been made out to be and Scott Coker and company have a little something to say about all this:
Quote:
Coker: Here's the one thing I don't want to get into, I don't want to get into Nick's contract status with us. I know he does want to box, we'll go back and look at the contract and take it from there. But I don't want to go into whether he can or cannot. At some point, Cesar and our group will sit down and have a conversation because obviously there's a lot to talk about.
MMAWeekly: As of today, Diaz's boxing career is not full steam ahead?
Coker: No, not at all. I hope we'll have him back in the cage here in the next three or four months."
Ruh-roh.

Diaz is coming off one of the craziest opening rounds in MMA history, when the scrappy Stockton slugger scored an improbable come-from-behind victory via first round technical knockout over British striker Paul "Semtex" Daley.

Following his Strikeforce win, The Cesar Gracie student told HDNet he "doesn't see much of a future for himself in the sport of MMA" and "he's better than all the guys Strikeforce has."

Apparently, the brass in San Jose don't feel the same and they would like to have him in the cage in a few short months. Perhaps coincidentally, that would coincide with Strikeforce's first planned foray into pay-per-view.

There just may be a battle brewing but it might not ever reach the ring or the cage.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:06 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

A fight with Martinez wont happen IMO...

It shouldn't even be considered for sanctioning
Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Country Breakfast

Diaz has great striking for MMA, but in boxing, I think any solid journeyman would beat him.(and probably stop him)
Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Blmfighter

They say that he can hang with Ward when they train together. Not sure what all they mean by that.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blmfighter View Post
They say that he can hang with Ward when they train together. Not sure what all they mean by that.
He actually is a very good boxer and is always training he trains with Ward. It's funny how so many doubt him. Boxing is his forte...
Old 04-20-2011, 12:08 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
He actually is a very good boxer and is always training he trains with Ward. It's funny how so many doubt him. Boxing is his forte...
I don't doubt he has some skills. However I believe that a top caliber fighter like Sergio Martinez would destroy Nick Diaz in a boxing match, without question. I also don't like the idea of Nick just walking into the sport and trying to get a fight with a champion when there are so many up and comers who have been paying dues inside the boxing ring that don't get that opportunity. Granted, Nick deserves a ton of recognition for his accomplishments in the sport of mixed martial arts, but when Michael Jordan decided to leave basketball to take up the sport of baseball he went to the minor leagues.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:49 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post

Got to agree on that one. In fact I do not think he can hang with most Golden Gloves people. MMA and Boxing are night and day in a lot of ways.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:09 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post

It was fine to put James against Randy, Why not Diaz vs Martzi lol.

Problem is you have to fight the right guy, otherwise the cry babies will cry. Ohhh he was too old, ohhh, hes still a young guy in boxing, why not put him against someone more skilled.

JB, considering we need a guy neither great nor washed up, who would be the best suited match in the 160-170 area ? Jermain Taylor ??
Old 04-20-2011, 03:10 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Got to agree on that one. In fact I do not think he can hang with most Golden Gloves people. MMA and Boxing are night and day in a lot of ways.
Ohh I dunno, I think on a fighter to fighter basis, or did you forget the Jab clinic GSP gave to Kos?
Old 04-20-2011, 03:15 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
GG's of today? Probably not, but maybe.

GG's who are now professional dinosaurs? Probably not, but maybe.

A legit pro like Martinez who is one of the top pound for pound boxers in the world? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

Don't get me wrong, I give Nick a chance to hang in a fight with just about anybody on toughness alone, but that don't mean I don't think he would end up getting outclassed by somebody with the skills and experience of a Sergio Martinez. That would just be a bludgeoning IMO.